Closed CONFIRMATION : What is a PIF please?

That may be the way you do it, but if we're arguing semantics ... which we appear to be, that ain't a PIF. It ain't a PIF because the definition of a PIF is quite specific. Specific and written down. Using the term to mean something else does not make the something else the same as the definition.

A PIF is a PIF is a PIF ... what we do here when we "do a PIF" is not a PIF. It's something else.

Consensus reality comes into play and so, yes, I am in absolute agreement that when we give something away here it is out of generosity and there are no expectations on the recipient. That's not a PIF, though. That's just giving something away.

When I first saw the term applied here, I guessed it was one of two things: either a "pass it forward", which is different to a lend, more a wandering item which is passed on when a person has had enough, the spirit of the game being not to actually keep the item, but keep it moving; or, a "pay it forward" where someone is given something, they then give something of theirs on to the next person and so a line of generosity can be traced, usually in the thread, again, the spirit of the game to show how grateful you are for what you've received by passing on something of yours to someone else.

When it transpired that actually, it was simply giving something away I wondered why we used the term. I guess TDM wondered what it was about, too.

But, hey ho ...

None of this detracts from the fact that we have a lot of generous folks here and there is a lot of good will flying around.

pjgh said:
That may be the way you do it, but if we're arguing semantics ... which we appear to be, that ain't a PIF. It ain't a PIF because the definition of a PIF is quite specific. Specific and written down. Using the term to mean something else does not make the something else the same as the definition.

A PIF is a PIF is a PIF ... what we do here when we "do a PIF" is not a PIF. It's something else.

When I first saw the term applied here, I guessed it was one of two things:

, a "pay it forward" where someone is given something, they then give something of theirs on to the next person and so a line of generosity can be traced, usually in the thread, again, the spirit of the game to show how grateful you are for what you've received by passing on something of yours to someone else.

That's pretty much my 'pay it forward' definition too. It's a gift with no strings attached, except for maybe a spiritual or karmactical (good word eh?) one. A hope that your act will inspire others to do the same. Almost like a chain letter with the best of intentions.

Things are hazy and I don't wanna look anything up, but i think the PIF term came about in the 80s or 90s and it mighta been connected to a big movie or something like that. I have a perfect example.

Going across a bridge with a good sized toll at the end, i was surprised to hear the toll keeper tell me the driver in front of me in line had paid for my toll. Heh, it shocked the hell outta me and I coulda done various things. My decision was to pay for the guy behind me, to keep things going. No pressure by the person who popped for the bill, since he was long gone. Yeah, in that case it was kind of a paying it forward, but backwards.

Martin

Someone stated that PIF is American. That might be. But I'm American and had never heard the term until I came across it on B&B. I was confused.

dodgy said:
...the toll keeper tell me the driver in front of me in line had paid for my toll. Heh, it shocked the hell outta me and I coulda done various things. My decision was to pay for the guy behind me, to keep things going.

That's great. I'm just curious: Did the toll keeper give you those options or only tell you that the previous driver paid your toll? I'm just wondering if the driver immediately in front of you paid or if I may imagine no one had ever paid their own toll in the history of the bridge (it's nightime on this side, and I could use sweet dreams).

Back
Top Bottom