Closed CONFIRMATION : What is a PIF please?

D

Deleted Member 98532

Hi Folks

The other day I launched a PIF for some Piccadilly Shaving Co Sandalwood Shaving Cream here http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-26095.html

Could you all please assist to clear up some confusion around this?

I assumed PIF meant 'Pass It Forward' as in I send the product to the first person on the list whom then tries it and subsequenty passes it on to the next person on the list ro try. Correct?

However, it would appear a few members feel that the object of this is to compile a list of 'Interested Parties' so to speak and then pick a lucky recipient of the product from the list.

Which is right please?

The Daily Male said:
Hi Folks

The other day I launched a PIF for some Piccadilly Shaving Co Sandalwood Shaving Cream here http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-26095.html

Could you all please assist to clear up some confusion around this?

I assumed PIF meant 'Pass It Forward' as in I send the product to the first person on the list whom then tries it and subsequenty passes it on to the next person on the list ro try. Correct?

However, it would appear a few members feel that the object of this is to compile a list of 'Interested Parties' so to speak and then pick a lucky recipient of the product from the list.

Which is right please?

Hi there,

Ohhh, you were only two letters off. First word is Pay, not Pass. PIF is a give away to one person.

I believe you were wanting to start a Pass Around. Take a look at how those threads work. Ohh, maybe provide something for dipping into the tub, rather than have various members swirling their brushes around.

Nice offer,

Martin

I've never been keen on the whole "PIF" terminology thing, it flummoxes newer members, and forums like this shouldn't be unfathomable to new guys, it's not the masons. I was always afraid to ask in my first few weeks / months as I didn't want to look stupid.

People give stuff away... that to me should be a giveaway.
People also share or pass stuff around, that should be a pass around.

Not hard. Plus "pay it forward" is a very American phrase, I've never heard this in every day English English so I'm not surprised it's misunderstood.

OK thanks for the replies gents, I am going to relaunch the thread as a timed 'Giveaway' and select one member to receive the cream from those who register an interest.

RB73 - You dirty boy! Stand in the corner!

I think PIF means different things to different people ...

I largely see it here, on this forum as a "pass it forward" but without duress. I give something of mine to someone else and in due course, they are duty bound to pass something of theirs on to someone else, when the need or opportunity arises. It's a give-away, but with strings attached ... strings of conscience.

If I have something I'd like to share around, I'll pop up a post in the lending forum inviting folks to form a list ... it goes to the first person and they then move it along to the next.

PIF is a one person deal, to me. I simply pass my (whatever) along to someone I think will like it. Karma then dictates that they most (something of theirs) along to someone else in the future. Some folks simply grab and don't pass on their part of the deal, others do. It's a risk, but a "PIF" is a give away.

pjgh said:
RB73 - You dirty boy! Stand in the corner!

I think PIF means different things to different people ...

I largely see it here, on this forum as a "pass it forward" but without duress. I give something of mine to someone else and in due course, they are duty bound to pass something of theirs on to someone else, when the need or opportunity arises. It's a give-away, but with strings attached ... strings of conscience.

If I have something I'd like to share around, I'll pop up a post in the lending forum inviting folks to form a list ... it goes to the first person and they then move it along to the next.

PIF is a one person deal, to me. I simply pass my (whatever) along to someone I think will like it. Karma then dictates that they most (something of theirs) along to someone else in the future. Some folks simply grab and don't pass on their part of the deal, others do. It's a risk, but a "PIF" is a give away.

lol! Should I wear a Dunces hat too pjgh?! :)

You hit the nail on the head in the first paragraph as I 'assumed' pass it forward meant exactly what a 'pass around' actually is!

Anyway, I am going to compile a list and then pick a recipient at random using Random.org

Actually, I've put out a pass around recently and rather wondered if I'll get it back ...

I'm not bothered if I get it back, but I would like it to go wandering around and be forever happy travelling around new faces.

I think a PIF in the BST forum is simply a give away with strings (which may or may not be honoured, depending upon how much of a Gent of true grit and character the receiver is) ... in the lending forum, it becomes a pass-around (which I assume the owner will get back, although the point is to create an ever wandering gift).

Canuck said:
I've never been keen on the whole "PIF" terminology thing, it flummoxes newer members, and forums like this shouldn't be unfathomable to new guys, it's not the masons. I was always afraid to ask in my first few weeks / months as I didn't want to look stupid.

People give stuff away... that to me should be a giveaway.
People also share or pass stuff around, that should be a pass around.

Not hard. Plus "pay it forward" is a very American phrase, I've never heard this in every day English English so I'm not surprised it's misunderstood.

Greetings

My views exactly; PIF is a term I believe we should all avoid.

'Pass around' or a 'Give away' are clear and we all know exactly what they mean. I also believe that any razor you send out as a passaround you should (given the fallibility of the postal system) be prepared to say goodbye to when you hand it in at the post office; ideally it will eventually come home but to expect it as a certainty is IMHO a little naive.

Regards
Dick.

Sound idea, potentially of more interest, if the person receiving it can comment on it in some meaningful way even better. I am currently looking for a sandalwood cream or soap and would be interested in trying or for that matter hearing of the opinion of others. With fathersday coming Proraso red looks favourite based on my Proraso green experience.

There is absolutely no "duty bound" to do anything in a PIF. If a person wants to pass something forward then he does and is happy to do so. End of story - except we believe that if we behave in a generous manner the world becomes a more generous place and, just maybe, others might be moved to PIF something, too - including the recipients or not. "Something" can be an object or an action. It's about generosity.

Actually, there is ... otherwise, it's simply giving it away. The purpose of a PIF (actually, "pay it forward") is an honesty based mechanism by which a benefactor can do something for someone who is unable to pay, the proviso being that the person in receipt of the PIF "pay it forward" at some point in the future, not necessarily the same thing, but performing the same generous action.

Basically, karma.

If a person decides to apply a different definition to the notion of PIF, such as "pass it forward", passing something tangible on through a list then that's a passaround and not a PIF; or, simply giving with no duty bound then it's not a PIF either, but a giveaway.

Here, it's generally regarded as a giveaway ... and yes, good natured people being good natured tend to keep the love flowing round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_it_forward

Actually, there isn't - it is giving it away, no control whatever over the recipient's behaviour and no expectation. The purpose of my PIF is to feel good about myself and tomake the world a more generous place and, in the case of TSR PIFs, to know I have contributed to the good feelings in the forum.

Your PIFs may be different. "Unable to pay" hardly describes the majority of TSR members!

Back
Top Bottom