Coffee?

I acquired quite a taste for Turkish coffee when I've been out there a few times.

TBH I didn't bring my enthusiasm for it back with me but I'd happily drink it post dinner.

andyjreid said:
Steve, I had that stuff when I was on holiday in Cyprus.

An acquired taste, I found it like coffee but with a little more earthyness to it.

Did you have it in the Tourist Areas of The Island ? because they use the cheap coffee which i have had and it tastes like cardboard !! and also they don't tell you to drink some of the water it's served with first to clean and refresh your taste buds, and to leave the coffee for a few minutes to let the grinds sink to the bottom, and to sip the coffee very slowly and don't drink right to the bottom of the grinds or you will get a sludgy watery last mouthful !

Have it in the Village Taverna's, or proper coffee shops look for all the the Locals outside playing Backgammon or "Tavli" and drinking the Coffee and you will get a good cup...

But i agree with it being a different taste to what you would normally accept as "Coffee"

Steve

Ahh, Turkish coffee is nice. I drink and make a cappu or coffee latte every morning, it takes time but it´s the good stuff and if I don´t get it, it´s a bad start of the day for me. I use a Italian blend of robusto/arabica beans 30/70, nothing fancy but it works great for espresso with milk + very affordable compared to high end brands. What Tony said about the mocca and coffee press is also good tips.

I use a Gaggia Classic for espresso and milk drinks:

230205070.jpg

and a Hario v60 for filtered coffee:

HarioV60Dripper.jpg

My two favourite roasters are 'hasbean' and 'Square Mile' coffee, although if I'm in the city I sometimes grab a bag from Monmouth coffee.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEb1rXP3aTU[/youtube]

TBH Mockingbird I love going to a decent espresso bar but that is the reason my Gaggia Classic took a back seat to a semi commercial beans to cup machine I managed to buy second hand.

I've just found another use for the wood-turning lathe..... custom made coffee tampers!

Guess what everyone with an espresso machine is getting for Christmas ;)

...only if it's stainless steel. ;)

n1vlo said:
and there is me happy with my bodum and Lavazza....so much too learn,,,so little time left

Nowt wrong with that, depends as with all things whether you want to take it any further.

It does surprise me that folks can stomach instant coffee (despite claims of flavour, quality and romance ) and also drink half decent stuff made with real coffee. The instant coffee I've tasted has been jock strap straining's and hardly bares any resemblance to the real stuff what so ever (duck) so I prefer to drink tea in the afternoon.

tea yea...mound of tea leaves in a pot...perfect...no milk no sugar thnx

whens it comin????....oh and maybe a choccy biscuit please

Yeah nothing wrong with Bodum, I use one occasionally for french press when I want something abit more oily :lol:

Hmm, before I upgrade from the gaggia classic, I think I'll get one of those Mazzer Mini grinders. Although that may be a while.

$tarbucks have a decent instant coffee, VIA. If you go into some branches, they'll give you a little demo and test whether you can taste the difference between their VIA and brewed coffee.

sunburyboy93 said:
andyjreid said:
Steve, I had that stuff when I was on holiday in Cyprus.

An acquired taste, I found it like coffee but with a little more earthyness to it.

Did you have it in the Tourist Areas of The Island ?

Nah, We were in the Paphos area but far enough away that it wasn't the big tourist city. I.e. where we were it was still only 2 euro for a 680ml bottle of beer. Our villa was inbetween Kissonerga, Tala and Empa and all the coffee I had was made in the villa myself. Couldn't tell you if it was great quality or not cos I couldn't read the Greek on the pack :roll:

n1vlo I think Lavazza is a very good coffee considering that you can just walk into a supermarket and pick it up.

I used to get coffee beans from an Italian cafe/eaterie in Glasgow. I believe the brand was Danesi?!? was very very good for espresso.

I've a Krups coffee maker which is very good, makes great coffee's from Americano to Mocha's via everything in between, but it is a bit of a faff. So if I'm time precious I use a Bodum coffee press which works well, if it comes down to instant, well, I'll be fine thanks!

Experimenting with different coffee's from all over the world is great fun! For years I didn't think i liked coffee, then I realised I didn't like milk, and black coffee is great ;)

Back
Top Bottom