Coffee?

I'm generally a tea drinker, but having been drinking the odd coffee every now and then at various customer sites (when the tea is dire!).

Given the other half works for Douwe Egberts, I'm getting her to pick me up some packs to try out - my question is two-fold:

a) Does anyone like or drink Douwe Egberts coffee?
b) What affordable coffees are people drinking?

Chris

neocaligatio said:
What affordable coffees are people drinking?
Chris
My favourite supermarket coffee is Waitrose Columbian.

Addendum:

Equipment.
a) Filter paper.
b) "Melita" type hopper.
c) Insulated jug.

Method.
a) Grind coffee (fine)
b) Insert coffee into hopper previously loaded with filter paper.
c) Place hopper on warmed Insulated Jug.
d) Gradually add very hot (not boiling) water to hopper.

Consumption.
When coffee is ready, add coffee whitener and honey to taste.
Optional accompaniments may include dates, Turkish delight, tobacco and convivial company.

Freeze dried instant coffee is like instant tea. Best avoided.

Get yourself a little french press, mocha or filter drip and start experimenting with all the freebies your GF can get. That's the ready ground stuff not the instant.

Personally I'm not that keen on American style filter drip for all day drinking so I only drink rocket fuel in the mornings but see where it takes you.

Most Super's have quite an impressive range of ground coffee, less so with beans. So you should be able to find something you like.

My morning drink is expresso/cappo made with Sainsbury's own. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Ground_Coffee/Sainsburys_Continental_Blend_Full_Bodied_Dark_Roasted_Coffee_Beans_227g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsbur ... _227g.html</a><!-- m -->

I've tried a lot of beans and this an easy winner for me easily outclassing many more reputable and pricier products, including Egberts I'm afraid.

Tony speaks as someone who actually appreciates proper coffee. I am happy with plebby stuff and enjoy Doewe Egberts Pure Gold instant. But better than that, and even more of a cheat, is our Nescafe Dolce Gusto machine that makes rather fabulous Cappuccinos. :shave

Whenever I've had capsule coffee it's been pretty decent actually. Freeze dried stuff ? It's convenient but it's really a different drink altogether.

I'm a card-carrying coffee snob. My weapon of choice is my Nespresso machine, which makes fantastic cappuccinos when I can be bothered to attach, use and subsequently clean the appropriate attachment.

Excellent choice of coffees, though.

Regards

Ian

We've got a brand new Senseo machine in the cupboard under the stairs so maybe I should dig that out and have a go with some of the pod-based ones then....

Will have to see about the Sainsbury one too.

I like decent coffee, but we only have a small kitchen and I could not be bothered with the faffing about of bringing the machine out, firing it up, cleaning it and then storing it away, so I make do with the instant stuff.

I justify my frequent consumption of expensive pod coffee by saying it's a lot cheaper than going to a Starbucks or wherever. Say 40p compared to a couple of quid? The argument breaks when I'm having a coffee during Masterchef, as of course there's no way I'd go to a coffee shop to watch Masterchef. :roll: I'd go to a coffee shop to watch Grand Designs. :?

I'd definitely try using the machine if you have one. The capsule coffee market is like the razor cartridge market, you are paying quite a premium for that convenience. The French press and Mocha machines are small and relatively cheap option and definitely worth trying.

Pig Cat said:
I justify my frequent consumption of expensive pod coffee by saying it's a lot cheaper than going to a Starbucks or wherever. Say 40p compared to a couple of quid?

How about 40p compared to 5p if you bought a Mocha and some ground coffee? You'd also have a style icon inhabiting your kitchen instead of a fairly ugly machine and a jar of instant.

Coffee? right then, now we're talking. Depends where and when I am :?

For an instant brew i use Percol De-caff (it's a fair-trade Colombian, available in supermarkets).

I use Starbucks regular house blend in a Bodum Cafetierre, usually restricted to week-ends and days off.

We have a Dolce Gusto and i will commit crimes to ensure they continue to produce the Latte Macchiato, which I usually restrict myself to just a couple a week.

Ok hold the laughs (Nick The Greek) but from my years living in Cyprus, i do like Cypriot Coffee (or Turkish Coffee / Greek Coffee depending on your views), only a tiny cupful as the end result but it's strong and tastes good.

For anyone that does want to try it, the Bags of Coffee, Pot or "Briki" and small Cups can be had off fleabay if you search for greek or turkish coffee.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TleH2q86O0M[/youtube]

Steve

antdad said:
Pig Cat said:
I justify my frequent consumption of expensive pod coffee by saying it's a lot cheaper than going to a Starbucks or wherever. Say 40p compared to a couple of quid?

How about 40p compared to 5p if you bought a Mocha and some ground coffee? You'd also have a style icon inhabiting your kitchen instead of a fairly ugly machine and a jar of instant.

It's a very nice machine. Anyway, can't ditch it - it's the wife's!

Steve, I had that stuff when I was on holiday in Cyprus.

An acquired taste, I found it like coffee but with a little more earthyness to it.

My favourite coffee of all time is a roast called Guatemala Elephant which is available at Whittards of Chelsea, would usually buy the beans then grind as appropriate. I use a cafetiere (single mug) or a filter if making to last for a while.

My favourite supermarket brands of coffee are Waitrose own brand and Twinings coffees are pretty good too.

I've never been a fan of the Dolce Gusto/Uno/Senseo etc because you just know that you'd spend all that money on an expensive machine which they will just stop making the pods for.

Back
Top Bottom