Claymore vs RazoRock Hawk SE

Hi guys,

I've been wondering about getting the RazoRock Hawk SE. I've found that my Claymore SE is easier to get a neat shave with than a DE, though takes a lot more effort to reduce blood loss.

I like the weight of the Claymore, but it is very aggressive, partly due to the weight.

Has anyone had the RazoRock Hawk and the Claymore? How do they compare?

Any advice on blades for the Hawk? Are the Feather Pros a good enough starting point?

I have the RR Hawk (in black) and had the Claymore which I passed on. I find Feather Pros are great in the Hawk, but like with any particularly sharp blade you need to keep your concentration up. I had the V2 Claymore and have the V1 Hawk which I've coupled with a Maggard MR17 Stainless Steel handle, which gives a nice bit of weight and takes some of the concentration out of the shave - i.e. you can let the weight of the razor do the work. That being said, I had some great shaves with the stock handle. With the Claymore you've got to make a conscious effort to not put weight on the razor, as I'm sure you've found.

I found that the Claymore was slightly less intuitive to get a good angle, and was advised to treat it more like a straight, opting for a shallower angle. It worked fine for me but I was going for the Hawk more out of ease than anything. As I shave only my neck, cheeks and part of my chin, I found the Claymore was less suited to my needs. I suggested to the chap who bought it off me that it was more suited to full shaves than part shaves. I believe he's now sold it on in favour of his RR Hawk in terms of aggressiveness.

I'd say get a Hawk for sure. You can pick them up around the £30 mark, posted, and selling them on would recuperate a very large proportion of those costs.

In short, the Hawk is my preference, paired with Feather Pro or Feather Super Pro blade as I found Kai Pinks a little tuggy when combined with the stock weight of the Hawk. The V2 Hawk looks nice as well, far more rounded than its predecessor. Aggressiveness comes down to the angle you find with the razor. If you steepen out the angle it instantly becomes more aggressive, but not terribly so.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Roy
I have the original Claymore and the V1 Hawk in black. Whilst I like a heavy razor, I do find the Claymore a little bit too mighty, and I prefer the Hawk.

The spec for the V2 Hawk looks good, and the changes clear up some of the less desirable features. It now even has a user-selectable two-length handle! Details are on the italianbarber.com website.

Personally, I'd go for the V2, although I'm not sure when it will be available from a UK stockist. However, the V1 is a good razor and I suppose it might come down a bit in price as it's supplanted by the V2 (though I wouldn't bet on it).

I have the original Claymore and the V1 Hawk in black. Whilst I like a heavy razor, I do find the Claymore a little bit too mighty, and I prefer the Hawk.

The spec for the V2 Hawk looks good, and the changes clear up some of the less desirable features. It now even has a user-selectable two-length handle! Details are on the italianbarber.com website.

Personally, I'd go for the V2, although I'm not sure when it will be available from a UK stockist. However, the V1 is a good razor and I suppose it might come down a bit in price as it's supplanted by the V2 (though I wouldn't bet on it).

ShaveLounge have the Razorock V2's in stock.

http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/razorock-black-hawk-se-single-edge-razor

It won't be in stock at Shave Lounge for a long time. Tell yourself you are saving yourself lots in the long run by buying it from there opposed to Italian Barber....
Quite so. And I have some points there as well...I now have the silver model en route. I have bought quite enough black razors recently, and I don't want to get mixed up with my Black Hawk V1s ( I bought two from IB and one is still unused; the rationale eludes me).

Mine's arrived-the silver version (my V1 is black). Nice-looking thing, and rather different to the V1. In fact, it's so different that calling it a V2 model is a bit like calling a Porsche 911 the Mk.2 version of the Ford Model T. Those machines had in common an engine and a wheel at each corner, and these razors are both made of aluminium. There the similarities end. The Hawk V2 has a different top cap, baseplate and handle, which is quite a lot in a 3-piece razor. In fact, it's a 4-piece razor, as it has a removable handle butt-end extension to reduce handle length from 90mm to circa 80mm.

First outing tomorrow, as it's time to put away my Sabre and SE-G Gem razors and go back to AC for a spell.

@Ferrum - What I had read on the Italian Barber website was that the dimensions of loading/exposure/blade gap etc hadn't actually changed, so the shave it could provide would be identical to the V1. It is a nice looking thing though, I'm seriously tempted to get the V2 in black to give my V1 a 'buddy'... If I didn't have the V1 I would have already bought the V2 by now.

@Ferrum - What I had read on the Italian Barber website was that the dimensions of loading/exposure/blade gap etc hadn't actually changed, so the shave it could provide would be identical to the V1. It is a nice looking thing though, I'm seriously tempted to get the V2 in black to give my V1 a 'buddy'... If I didn't have the V1 I would have already bought the V2 by now.
The gap and exposure does, by eye, look about the same, which suits me just fine. I had the Hawk before my aluminium General, and the curved cap on the latter against the ridged Hawk made for a much smoother-feeling shave (YMMV and all that). I think that's what I'm likely to find with the new Hawk; all about a nicer feel rather than any change in aggression or such.

Back
Top Bottom