Cheap Personna Lab Blues

Never used them but isn't it the Personna Platinum that comes in the white wrap? It's possible that Personna have switched the Labs over to white wrapping as well and Connaught still has slightly older stock?

I got my last lot from Salon Supply in white wrappers. To me they perform just the same as blue-wrapped ones. Plus the price from Salon Supply is a lot cheaper than the UK supplier.

I emailed Personna USA and specifically asked about the wrappers, I got a reply from the Product Line Manager at the factory who confirmed that they'd changed to white wrappers but the blades were the same.

See post #201 over here: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=26875&pid=388933

I recently had a bloody shave with a new (dare I say) Lab Blue...it's the one from Salon Supply Store in the US with the white wrapper in the blue box with "Comfort" on the box - not the one with '25% sharper' on the box. In fact the previous shave with another example from the same box was also not the best result either - quite the opposite. The blades are marked SUPER and Made in USA.

I thought it might be worth sending a polite email to SSS and sent it last night. Just had a prompt, polite and helpful reply back (within 24 hours) from Natalie offering to send another box out. Can't ask more than that. I've offered to pay their costs as there's no scientific proof that the product is defective or substandard...it's really the fact that I had such a bad shave with two of the blades...but we know there are circumstances which can cause that other than a poor product. I'll happily pay whatever costs they may or may not ask for and report back in due course.

The replacement blades arrived from Salon Supply Store in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

Exactly the same box and wrappers: blue box marked :- PERSONNA double edge stainless blades..and with a yellow strip at the bottom COMFORT COATED. White sleeves with the wrapping being somewhat innacurately creased around the blade.

Haven't tried one yet as I just had my first go with the R41 and a Feather (very little bloodshed and nice and close, as would have been expected, I imagine) but, in truth, and with the benefit of hindsight, am not expecting them (the new batch of Personnas) to be significantly different from the first batch.

Re. the R41, I'm still not 100% sure that I actually NEED to have a razor quite as aggressive as the R41 given that I seem to get very similar results with my other items. I guess it would benefit bods with a weeks worth of heavy, coarse growth rather than my own daily shave ??? Someone put me straight here.

Great service from Salon Supply in the US though....and not expensive either !!

DevonStan said:
Re. the R41, I'm still not 100% sure that you actually NEED to have a razor quite as aggressive as the R41 given that I seem to get very similar results with my other items. I guess it would benefit bods with a weeks worth of heavy, coarse growth rather than my own daily shave ??? Someone put me straight here.

If you have the 2011 version of the R41 then I would 100% agree.

It is a real marmite razor. I found it far too aggressive for me and sold it on (without any problems it has to be said).

No, Paul, it's the later one.

It's very much the case that I need more experience before speaking with any sort of authority and my thoughts re. the 41 are a bit tentative. I'll spend a lot more time experimenting with blades in the 41. Tony has advised just using a new Feather every time with it. I'll try that tomorrow....today I used the 41 with a Feather but it was the 2nd or 3rd use. Got on OK with it, as I usually do (but with much care) but round the top lip it REALLY WANTS to draw blood and it has to be across or with the grain...for me the blade feels just too exposed to go against. But it'll come with practice.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom