Changing blades.

I have three razors in my rotation and I gave up trying to use a different razor everyday while counting blade usage! So I now only use one razor at a time, use the blade up and if i feel like it move to another razor using that razor until I have used the blade. I find that I prefer not to go over 3 shaves with my milder razors (EJ87, Merkur 38C), but bin after 2 with my Muhle R41. I love Personna Reds and Astras, but have used a couple of Yellow 7 O'Clocks in my R41 recently and had great shaves...I'm rather light and careful though!

Interesting post Fido and something currently on my mind too. I tend to keep the small wrapper for the blade and mark a mini tally chart on it to keep track in case of memory fatigue ;)

I was changing about every 3-4 shaves but have now started giving the blade a quick rinse and careful clean to see what difference it makes to the blade's longevity. Currently finished my 5th shave on a Gillette 7 O'Clock Green stainless blade and normally shave each day but this was a two day growth shave and very comfortable it was too as well as fast.

I do think there is the element of wanting the next blade to try like cruciate says which there is no harm in and helps add a little 'old' spice to the routine of course!

The other factor too is hair thickness and prep as to the sharpness of cutting required and blunting effect on the blade.

Goldcrest - only one day for an Astra SP? Thought they were sharp unless you're like Desperate Dan :D

Ultimately, the blades are so cheap that changing every 3 days is understandable and keeps the interest and/or rotation of blades moving along nicely as a rule of thumb.

DE's I chg every shave. Just easier that way. SE and injector I use for quite awhile because I only use then for touch up around my beard and they're harder to buy.

I do try to use blades as many times as I can.....at least until they start to drag or pull. But I am also one of the many users who are currently trying different blades and maybe am not using them as long as I could. I always think that the next blade that I try will be better.

Some interesting responses. And think what the world would look like if were all identical and thought the same way. One of my characteristics is a dislike of waste. So I eat what's on the plate, don't easily discard clothes that are still in good condition and really don't like chucking much away that's got some useful life left, regardless of how little it cost in the first place.

I keep cars for a long time too.

Variety is the spice of life!

A hoarder basically then Fido ;) - much like myself I might add to my wife's annoyance! I did notice the blade pulling today but got through a 6th shave. Given my experience I would be happy with a 3 day change without blade maintenance and any risk of blade pulling mid-shave.

I like to keep cars too but usually they decide when I change them - especially if French! :D

hunnymonster said:
I just change mine immediately I sense it's blunt enough to warrant it - in some cases that's immediately after the first stroke (Laser from Wilko) others it's a week later...

I am finding more and more I am with you on this one, when the blades feels knackered in the blade bin it goes............

I change after the 4th shave. I rather have 4 good shaves, than 4 good and 1 bad shave.

The only blade that I did use for 5 days was the Gillette 365. I found them to be the smoothest of the lot.

More or less exclusively Perma-Sharp now and change after 3. I really like the Feathers but could only get one shave - like Fido I don't like waste either, but if I want the closest of all close shaves in close shave world I'll use a Feather.

2 shaves and change here. Have yet to find a blade I can get a comfortable 3rd shave from. I'm talking DEs here, I haven't yet tried injectors or SEs.

I use Gillette Super Thins exclusively, and shave every day normally. I change my blade every Monday morning, and it lasts well until the end of the working week. By Saturday and Sunday, the blade isn't as good but, for the weekend, I don't need my shave to be especially close.

Changing on a fixed day makes it quite easy to know where I am.

I usually change after the third shave with a blade due to it generally pulling/nicking so far in my limited experience.

Saying that the feather in my DE at the moment has been used five times without bother.

barlines said:
hunnymonster said:
I just change mine immediately I sense it's blunt enough to warrant it - in some cases that's immediately after the first stroke (Laser from Wilko) others it's a week later...

I've never seen or tried these fabled laser razors from Wilkos but it does seem to be pretty unanimous on here that shaving with a piece of broken glass would be far preferable.

I used to change my blade on a Sunday but I'm finding I'm getting closer, neater shaves by taking my sweet time over the whole ritual, so the last month or so I've needed to change mid week as well.

perfect match to there soap then

You lucky people getting more than one shave on a blade,I can only get one shave out of my blades as I am jinked with a thick beard and sensitive skin,however l might have the revenge on the blade makers just yet as I now own a razor blade stropper,although it don't work on feather blades, I will be trying it out this week on a wilkison sword blade ,just to see how it goes fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom