Changing blades.

I used to change my DE blade every 3 or 4 days. I'm getting to the stage now when I seem to forget a few things and I started to extend my blades sometimes to 5 or 6 days - I think.

I've now started replacing my blades on Sundays - easy to remember. And I am very happy with the quality of my shaves throughout the week. I've used red personna for some time now, and they suit me well.

So I wonder. Do we change blades too often?

I bin the blade after Friday's shave, so my blade lasts me the week. I shave 4 - 6 time in the week. Not had a problem with a blade going blunt, except the ones I didn't like, they got binned after the first shave

I like knowing there's a fresh blade in for some reaon, so I bin after two shaves (or maximum 3)... my memory isn't always great either though, so if there is any doubt as to when I changed, then I change regardless. I suppose that means that occasionally I have binned a 1 day old blade, often if I've not used that razor for say, 2 days.
Meh, they're really cheap and I have hundreds.

I shave daily and change my blade every Sunday morning. Most blades are (for me) still giving perfectly good (two-pass) shaves at the end of the week but my hair is quite fine so I guess that my stubble may also be finer than a lot - which may mean that it blunts the blade less quickly.

_

I shave normally 7 days a week and have got into the habit of changing the blade after 3 shaves (each shave includes 2 to 3 passes) so don't see this as bad. Got into this habit whilst running through the samples and some really horrible blades that were bought for me to try.

Cheers,
Geoff

I only ever get 2 shaves out of a blade before it starts to get uncomfortable, maybe a need to find some sharper ones. Currently using my samples still but I'm finding 7 o'clock's or personna work best in my EJ.

Canuck said:
I like knowing there's a fresh blade in for some reaon, so I bin after two shaves (or maximum 3)... my memory isn't always great either though, so if there is any doubt as to when I changed, then I change regardless. I suppose that means that occasionally I have binned a 1 day old blade, often if I've not used that razor for say, 2 days.
Meh, they're really cheap and I have hundreds.

Other than the fact that I don't shave every day, and I haven't yet got hundreds of blades, I'm much the same.

For me, it's all about what blade I am using, on average as follows;

Swede - 7 days
SI - 5-6 days
7 O'clocks usually 5-6 days
Feathers 3-4 days

Again, this is a personal view I'm sure these numbers will be different for other folks here. These are average figures as there's always the odd dud blade which goes straight in the bin.

All the best

I change blades after three shaves....at about 3/4 the way through the third shave they start to drag....

Gillette yellows
Feathers
Permasharp are all good for three shaves
Astra sp and most other blades manage only one shave...

Wilkies Laser as HM says,don't even do one pass

hunnymonster said:
I just change mine immediately I sense it's blunt enough to warrant it - in some cases that's immediately after the first stroke (Laser from Wilko) others it's a week later...

I've never seen or tried these fabled laser razors from Wilkos but it does seem to be pretty unanimous on here that shaving with a piece of broken glass would be far preferable.

I used to change my blade on a Sunday but I'm finding I'm getting closer, neater shaves by taking my sweet time over the whole ritual, so the last month or so I've needed to change mid week as well.

I *think* that I can feel drag half way through my 3rd shave. This is based on all shaves being 3 pass.

Of course, this may be just wishful thinking, because I'm still in the "excited, wanting to try every blade I've got" place and by the 3rd day I'm itching to try another!

Back
Top Bottom