Can’t wet shave is an electric worth it ?

Just out of hospital & can’t wet shave as immobile for some weeks
I’ve never tried electric can anyone recommend a decent one ?
Or just not worth it if used to a real blade shave ?
Thx
Ed

Thx
Ed
My experience of electric razors was many years ago, but I don’t suppose they have changed a great deal, and I found that you had to get used to them. What I mean is that the first couple of weeks were poor results with lots of razor bumps and in growing hairs - but then things would fall into place and everything would improve.
Tyere were various times when I was advised to stop wet shaving until issues I had, got better and I noticed the same every time I started with electric shavers again.
So, if you do decide to go that way, you may experience something similar.

If you're happy with 'close enough' I found the Philips oneblade a decent enough effort in a pinch, doesn't get as close as a proper blade so it would never replace my gear, but it gets the job done. I've never got on well with the rotary cheese graters, again they get the job done but I never managed to get a completely irritation free finish.

Reactions: PHR
Bear in mind the leccy razors essentially shred/rend the hairs off. Not in a painful way like an epilator, but it's like cutting a hedge with a hedge trimmer instead of secateurs/loppers. I think that's a fair analogy when you look under the microscope at hair cut with a blade vs shaver. It does the job in a pinch but you'll be glad when you can return to wet shaving just for the quality of finish and satisfaction. I made the mistake of buying a cheap Braun travel shaver that runs on AA batteries years ago. Total rubbish. I used it twice, then went back to my Mach 3. That said, my step dad used one of those Philishave things with the circular grater things for most of his life and seemed presentable and content enough. I think if you have no choice, keep your expectations in check and don't blow too much dosh on it, but don't go too cheap. Or grow a beard for the duration and have the satisfaction of shaving it off ceremonially when you're able, assuming this situation is temporary (which I hope it is). Most importantly, get well soon.

I bought a Braun series 5 electric shaver a couple of years ago, which I use occasionally when short of time. Compared to a wet shave, if you are happy with the end result still feeling like a half day's growth (looks not bad, but feels rough) then they're fine. If you have a fairly light growth then an electric may be OK, but it never approaches even a poor shave with a wet razor IMHO.

157a11764479ec138847b85c3d0c939a.jpg

I use a Braun now and then to tidy up under my nose if I've not shaved for a few days but I certainly would not recommend a foil razor...I wish I'd never got the bloody thing. If I ever get an electric razor again it would be a rotary one and only if my hand was shaking so badly I couldn't trust myself to leave my nose intact.
I reckon you might be right to wait...take the opportunity to learn more about your beard and the way it grows and how to look after it...you never know, you might decide you prefer it!
In the meantime, best wishes for a full recovery ;):)(y)

I use a braun series 7 once in a blue moon I find using an electric shave solution with it makes all the difference and results in a closer shave

Thx
Ed
Cheapest Braun you can find without any bells and whistles.
Hope your convalescence ends soon buddy.

Back
Top Bottom