Can you suggest a cheap good-quality soap?

Palmolive. Been using this again recently and am very impressed with it.
Same here.

I had a stick lying around which I used a few times directly on my face with ok results.

Last week I moulded it into an empty tub and loaded with a brush.

This stuff is amazing. Great thick lather which is very slick. Post shave is pretty good as well. All for 50p!

The scent isn't the best, but far from unpleasant. It just smells soapy.

I think Palmolive are missing a big opportunity by not bringing out scented versions.

Have to agree with Palmolive, but wouldn't discount the notorious Turkish soap.
In fact I'm surprised @JohnnyO or @dodgy haven't offered their endorsement.
@Desert why are you negative toward creams?

Hi Arthur, think you provided the answer to your own query when you write of " the notorious Turkish soap ". It's " notorious " for a reason ! I'd not recommend a soap which makes our bathroom smell like a public urinal just in case the enquirer has similar tastes in scent to mine. However, in the interests of balance, I'm happy to say that Arko is great value for money, lathers so easily in almost any type of water that it should come with a printed warning not to be stored within 12 inches of a damp shaving brush lest it errupt into a veritable vesuvius of foam and is indeed a good performer.

JohnnyO. o/

The thing about soaps and price is that if you get, say, 500 shaves from a puck - and one costs £5 whilst the other is £15, the cost per shave is 2 pence more for the expensive one. The point I'm trying to make is that whether you pay £15 or 50 pence - they are both cheap.

TOBS sandalwood soap is very good IMO I have a puck and use it in my rotation. I could be wrong but if you are aiming for slickness, I personally would try a tallow or soap with high coconut oil content, for example Mystic Waters. These provide a thick lather with good-excellent slickness. Other than that a pre shave oil under your lather may be beneficial.

The thing about soaps and price is that if you get, say, 500 shaves from a puck - and one costs £5 whilst the other is £15, the cost per shave is 2 pence more for the expensive one. The point I'm trying to make is that whether you pay £15 or 50 pence - they are both cheap.

Very true and if you find you don't like the 50p one you can give it or throw it away, if you don't like the £15 then sell it on TSR.

Don't forget that water quality is a big variable. In my area, water is pretty hard so I add a couple of drops of glycerine to my bowl before lathering - it certainly helps some soaps, others don't need it.
You might be right. I use a little pre shave and it gets better now. The soap is sticky, but I have managed to make it better after some experiments. Yesterday, I made some pretty good lather. I may skip buying a soap for now. But a lot of you guys recommended the Palmolive and you raised my curiosity even more! I'll definitely try that. :)

These are a little bit more expensive that Arko and Palmolive, but they are still good bang-for-your-buck soaps

Wickham's Super Smooth soap is on offer half price at 7.50 (Connaughts)
Cella 150g tub can be had for under 7 quid also

I would be very happy shaving with either Arko, Palmolive, Wickham's or Cella!

Back
Top Bottom