Buying a synthetic brush

" I use a synthetic as my travel brush. The quick drying time beats any natural hair brush for me! "

This is actually what I've been thinking about recently as drying a brush is going to be nigh on impossible for me when I'm away. I'm not prepared to cut out a good shave when I'm away either, in favour of brushless creams, cartridges, electric or whatever. I've finally found what works for me and I'm not going to change that just because I'm away. Any other travellers having this issue?

As I've probably posted elsewhere, I tired a V2 Muhle, didn't like it at all and sold it on.

Recently bought a £10.00 Kent Infinity to take on holiday, and changed my lathering technique to suit the brush. So I build lather in my palm, get as much of that (and there is a lot) onto the brush, and then PAINT the lather on. None of the old circular scrubbing of badger and boar, just paint it on and it works a treat.

I think I've used a badger or boar a couple of times since I bought the Kent, but I just keep going back to the Kent, it works THAT well for me.

Ian

Re: RE: Buying a synthetic brush

Gordy said:
" I use a synthetic as my travel brush. The quick drying time beats any natural hair brush for me! "

This is actually what I've been thinking about recently as drying a brush is going to be nigh on impossible for me when I'm away. I'm not prepared to cut out a good shave when I'm away either, in favour of brushless creams, cartridges, electric or whatever. I've finally found what works for me and I'm not going to change that just because I'm away. Any other travellers having this issue?
Earlier this month I opted for the wee scott badger brush so I could use it for travel. I will check if it takes longer to dry than the Plisson, but size wise it is perfect for travel.

p.b said:
I've found the Kent dries far faster than a 23mm Muehle. I think I prefer the face-feel too as I find it a little less 'springy'

Hi.

I suspect that if I were to purchase a Muhle again, and use it as I do the Kent, I would be very pleased with it. As the Kent is doing everything that I need it to, that is not going to happen just yet :)

Ian

I agree with Zygalski, you can't treat it like a natural brush and expect the best out of it, you do need to show it a firm hand. Do that and you'll be rewarded with excellent lather, plus the brush dries very quickly and requires almost no care routine.

I find it works best once it's loaded, so it's not my favourite for shave sticks, but from a puck it's great. I do still prefer my big Omega though.

Re: RE: Buying a synthetic brush

chris.hale said:
I agree with Zygalski, you can't treat it like a natural brush and expect the best out of it, you do need to show it a firm hand. Do that and you'll be rewarded with excellent lather, plus the brush dries very quickly and requires almost no care routine.

I find it works best once it's loaded, so it's not my favourite for shave sticks, but from a puck it's great. I do still prefer my big Omega though.
With the Plisson I load and lather as I would with any other badger, light swirls to load and paint motions to lather. No mashing or heavy handed abuse.

I've got three synthetic brushes currently with two more on the way.
#1: El Druida redwood handle, 26mm synthetic (unknown knot)
#2: Dymondwood 23mm TGN synthetic
#3: Muhle 31M530 travel brush, 21mm synthetic
#4: (enroute) Edwin Jagger Chatsworth, 21mm synthetic
#5: (enroute) Plisson (L'Occitane), 22mm synthetic

Depending on how testing goes, some of these may end up on BST.
#1 is my largest synthetic and lathers like a beast. Vastly superior to the Simpson's synthetic Chubby2 I used/sold. A bit big for me.
#2 is my ideal handle design and fits well, but the knot has too much loft for me and splays too easily.
#3 has a solid position as my travel brush. Nice and compact with integral travel tube. Horrible as a face-lathering brush but great for palm-lathering creams and painting.

I find that the Muhle knots tend to pull lather away from the tips and towards the handle, like a negative flow-through. The TGN knot I have does the opposite, flow-through is excellent.
All of the synthetic brushes I have make very creamy/dense lather because the air bubbles are kept small. Quick lathering, tough wearing and quick drying are the main benefits of a synthetic brush. In my opinion these attributes make them ideal for beginners.

Mr_Smartepants said:
...I find that the Muhle knots tend to pull lather away from the tips and towards the handle, like a negative flow-through...

I used my Muhle 23mm STF this morning and noticed that the lather does tend towards the handle. But isn't it designed this way so that the lather isn't released too quickly? I've read criticism of other synthetics that they release the lather too quickly (and flies off everywhere) and therefore don't hold enough for later passes.

BTW: I usually splay the fibres quite a lot when face lathering to build the lather but then paint the lather to even it out using much gentler strokes.

Be sure to lets us know how the L'Occitane brush performs, I'd be very interest in finding out.

I received my 24mm Pur Tech synthetic this week and had my first shave with it this morning.
Loaded the brush with some Tcheon Fung Sing 'Arancio Amaro' sample, which I proceeded to make a lovely thick lather from with very little effort (currently on the road, so this is my travel set-up). As per some of the suggestions above, I found that applying a significant amount of pressure so as to allow the brush to splay worked best for me.
I found the tips of the brush to be extremely soft (even more so than my two-band badgers or Omega boar) and the brush had plenty of lather left for a second pass. It probably would have sufficed for a third pass as well, but I preferred treating myself to with a nice, dense and fragrant lather by re-lathering for the final pass.
All in all, I was positively astounded by the efficacy of this great brush.
Dare I say that - based on first impressions - I may even prefer it to my other badger brushes.
All in all, I truly recommend giving this brush a try!

Nishy said:
chris.hale said:

With the Plisson I load and lather as I would with any other badger, light swirls to load and paint motions to lather. No mashing or heavy handed abuse.

Apparently the Plisson is less springy and splays more like a natural brush than the Muhle does. I quite facy trying one but they don't do one in the size I like.

im curious on plissons alot of money for me at moment, im deciding on wether a kent infinity or muhle black fiber both around the £15 mark, which you think is best for bowl lathering and the softest tips as im sensitive to scritch.

smoose89 said:
im curious on plissons alot of money for me at moment, im deciding on wether a kent infinity or muhle black fiber both around the £15 mark, which you think is best for bowl lathering and the softest tips as im sensitive to scritch.

The Black Fibre will be softer. The Kent is designed to mimic a boar brush so if you want the softer of the two, go for the Black Fibre.

Emailed l'occitaine on Tuesday asking for a refund having just bought their brush for £65 when it's now £35, received a £30 refund this morning, service as it should be.

Secondly just a follow up, the Plisson dries quicker than the wee Scott.

I'm interested in the EJ synth now after reading about it on a couple of the other forums. I love the look of it, especially in the faux horn. By all accounts it's a great brush. I do like the look of the Plisson though and as I'd mentioned earlier, either should be great for my travels.

Back
Top Bottom