Buying a synthetic brush

I bought synthetic knots directly from Muhle and fitted in custom handles. Think it was about €17 for a 23mm knot at the time.

Bechet45 said:
Griffo said:
Thanks but I seem to have a problem paying a decent wedge of cash for synth knot in a nice handle.

Have you thought about buying a good synthetic knot and putting it into a custom handle? We have several turners among us in TSR.

Now that seems a better idea. May well look in to this. thanks.

Re: RE: Buying a synthetic brush

Griffo said:
jb74 said:
Griffo said:
I've really struggled to get excited about synths and I'm still put off by the price of the Plissons, especially if the quality and feel of the handle is as poor as JB74 mentions in his posting above.

I opted for one of the cheaper models in the range and the handle is pure muck. I'm guessing the more expensive brushes with the same knot will have higher quality handles.

Thanks but I seem to have a problem paying a decent wedge of cash for synth knot in a nice handle.
Plisson comes with a drip stand too, probably not a deal breaker but a nice touch seeming its expensive

Griffo said:
jb74 said:
Griffo said:
I've really struggled to get excited about synths and I'm still put off by the price of the Plissons, especially if the quality and feel of the handle is as poor as JB74 mentions in his posting above.

I opted for one of the cheaper models in the range and the handle is pure muck. I'm guessing the more expensive brushes with the same knot will have higher quality handles.

Plisson comes with a drip stand too, probably not a deal breaker but a nice touch seeming its expensive

Shaved with the Plisson tonight lovely soft brush with just the right backbone. Had to dip the tips a few times in water but face lathered CF Lavender cream with ease.

I've got a muhle HJM and I know what Carls saying.

Although it is a nice feeling brush, soft tips, good backbone, I don't feel there is anything that makes it stand out from my £30 mark Badgers.

When I'm reaching for a synthetic its more often my kent infinity, which at least
has something different about it. A bit of personality even.

<Hangs head in shame while going to shaving pseuds corner>

You'll get me into trouble by asking your question and I'lll get myself into trouble by answering it - I'm bound to miss many of them from my list.

Gecko has tuned several brilliant brushes for me and others but he is overly busy right now.

Midas has made a couple for me and many for other members.

Not Sharp makes fantastic horn brushes.

There are others but my tired brain won't pull them out of the depths this early in the morning.

Choose a handle to have copied or design your own. You could buy your own knot - probably from TGN - The Golden Nib - or ask your turner to supply.

Gecko enjoys an interactive cooperation - or he does with me, anyway - to give you exactly what you want.

You finish up with a unique brush, which is something I value.

Rod Neep has done custom brushes for me but he is pricey compared.

Having said all this, I haven't any idea who sells good or the best synthetic knots. My guess is that you'd best start with finding a good knot, including talking to the turners about their offerings.

Bechet45 said:
Almost dry and splayed it is then. I figured the technique would be different but this sounds like sabotage! Used as I did yesterday, the brush would never bloom in a hundred years but I suspect your method will persuade it to!

More coffee and a shower first though - boy! did I sleep deeply last night! but not for long enough it seems. Coffee and snuff - a great way to start the day! Then go splay my brush!

Carl, there one big difference between a synthetic and a badger in terms of application. Synthetic fibers are stronger than badgers so when you are working up your lather use strong circular motions. I know this runs contrary to the recommendations for badger, but it works. I do not worry about the fibers as much and simply press and whisk on my skin (head and face).

Mr_Smartepants said:
Carl, Muhle synthetic knots have that tendency to pull the lather towards the handle instead of pushing it towards the tips.
I don't know why. The only thing I can think of (and is pure speculation on my part) is that the surface of the fibres have a "sawtooth" pattern which "ratchets" the lather in one direction. All I know is that the brush I have with a TGN synthetic knot does not exhibit this behavior.

You are actually on the right track with this thought. There is a difference in how each fiber manufacturer (that supplies the brush makers) creates the channels to allow for water/product retention (not absorbion).

When researching for my article series on the Synthetic Fibers I discussed the development of cosmetic fibers and a critical patent shows the drawings of how the fiber manufacturers create "channelized grooves" to assist in product retention and control.

http://sharpologist.com/2012/10/synthetic-fibers-a-historical-perspective-and-how-they-relate-to-shaving-brushes-part-7.html

Figures 2 and 3 in the picture in the article above shows a chart from the very detailed patent narrative. As you can see the fiber makers use different patterns to achieve methods of product retention. So yes, beyond the tactical touch issues which denote the Generation class of fiber as noted in the chart in the thread below ...

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=25613

... there is also a difference in the channel patterns for the various synthetic fibers.
Even within the same brush company different fibers are used to achieve a different lathering effect. An example of this would be MÜHLE with the STF V2 fiber and the Black Fibre brushes.

I hope this provides more insight into the differences between the different fibers.

Bechet45 said:
It arrived yesterday and two washings were encouraging in a very unexciting sort of way.

Used it this morning on a hard soap and it lathered up fine and felt perfectly good on my skin and was all terribly unexciting and ordinary, adequate. I have to say it is a vast and huge improvement on the 1st Generation Muhle synthetic brush I own.

I noticed that the lather likes to descend to the bottom of the hairs rather than stay up where it is most useful but a quick extra swirl on the soap took care of that.

I'm left wondering what all the fuss around synthetic brushes is about. I'll use this brush again but it is way down my list of best performers. I have umpteen badgers that beat it into a cocked hat.

Synthetic saves badger lives? while we blow them away by the hundreds to see if that stops bovine TB.

I can understand your ambivalence towards this brush. As mentioned earlier, it took me a few goes to get the hang of the brush; I've found that I must use much more pressure with it than I would dare to use with my badgers, boars or horses, but once I became comfortable with this the brush performed very well. I find it to be an excellent travel brush because it performs very well with a soap stick and dries very quickly even in its travel tube. Notwithstanding, in comparison with my badgers it does lack a certain je ne sais quoi; I call it soulless.

Thanks for all that, DGC.

My interest in synthetic brushes was in the shaving experience, not even a comparison with badger because that is such a broad field - but just to see how they work. I was disappointed. I get perfectly acceptable lathering from my synthetic albeit the lather travels down to the handle. I had expected more, a better experience, from it. I'm glad I didn't spend too much on my brush because it won't get much use.

I eat meat and so have no problem with badger hair being used in brushes and I get a better lather with most of my badger, horse and boar brushes. For me, synthetic brushes have a long way to go before I take further interest.

I guess my interest now lies in trying out the advice I've been given here - though scrunching the bristles comes hard and I don't like it.

Rufus said:
Notwithstanding, in comparison with my badgers it does lack a certain je ne sais quoi; I call it soulless.

Yeah! Souless is a good way of expressing it! Me, too.

Bechet45 said:
Thanks for all that, DGC.

My interest in synthetic brushes was in the shaving experience, not even a comparison with badger because that is such a broad field - but just to see how they work. I was disappointed. I get perfectly acceptable lathering from my synthetic albeit the lather travels down to the handle. I had expected more, a better experience, from it. I'm glad I didn't spend too much on my brush because it won't get much use.

I eat meat and so have no problem with badger hair being used in brushes and I get a better lather with most of my badger, horse and boar brushes. For me, synthetic brushes have a long way to go before I take further interest.

I guess my interest now lies in trying out the advice I've been given here - though scrunching the bristles comes hard and I don't like it.

Rufus said:
Notwithstanding, in comparison with my badgers it does lack a certain je ne sais quoi; I call it soulless.

Yeah! Souless is a good way of expressing it! Me, too.

Carl I agree that the price may be steep and you only wanted to test the synthetic but maybe in the future you could try the Plisson? From your last descriptions it sounds very different to the Muhle. It matches a badger more so in that I don't mash the brush, I lightly swirl to load. Lather flow is slightly lesser than a best badger but doesn't gravitate to the handle and the tip softness is superb. I don't intend to gloat but it is a wonderful synthetic and worthy of a try.

Bechet45 said:
Thanks but no thanks, Nishy! Between my Muhle V1 and V4 I've quite had it with synthetics. I don't see the point of them.
Fair enough I would be disappointed in buying any brush with the inadequacies described. Overall point being to prevent animal cruelty.

Give yer Muhle some abuse! It lathers like a monster if you give it half a chance.
I was about to sell mine until I changed my approach as I outlined above. Now I may well sell some of my badger brushes because the Muhle is the one I look forward to using. I've battered it & it hasn't shed a single fibre, which is more than I can say for my badgers which I have treated with kid gloves in comparison.

I sold my synthetics because they weren't quite up to the standards set by my (exorbitantly expensive) badger brushes. But in several years, after more R&D and a few 'generations' down for the current options, I'll definitely get back into the game.

Bechet45 said:
Thanks but no thanks, Nishy! Between my Muhle V1 and V4 I've quite had it with synthetics. I don't see the point of them.
I use a synthetic as my travel brush. The quick drying time beats any natural hair brush for me!

Back
Top Bottom