BST subsection/Vendor feedback

Following up on a few posts over the last few days with first posters selling expensive items.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5810</a><!-- l -->
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5804</a><!-- l -->
(just 2 examples)

This is done on the french straigh forum, we could have a subsection on BST, each topic is the name of the member (we shouldn't create new posts for each sale), whenever someone buys from them, they can leave positive feedback on the vendors thread. French forum link: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.coupechouclub.com/avis-sur-les-vendeurs-f12/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.coupechouclub.com/avis-sur-les-vendeurs-f12/</a><!-- m --> (for example purposes)
Also this would be helpful for newbies wanting to buy off BST.

Would be interesting, anyone in favor sat "Aye!"

Max

Aye.

As has been commented, you'll never eradicate the potential of a 'con', but at least something like this may discourage the casual opportunist.

Ian

FrenchBlade said:
IanM said:
Aye.

As has been commented, you'll never eradicate the potential of a 'con', but at least something like this may discourage the casual opportunist.

Ian
It also gives newbies some sort of reassurance that they're buying from someone reliable.

Max

Well, it doesn't guarantee anything, but I'm just getting tired of people signing up, post number 1 is them flogging stuff, and then we hear no more.

I have suggested a min posts thing before, but it was said that it almost lends itself to TSR endorsing the people that are allowed to post, which Boab wasn't comfortable with.

Ian

Actually, it was Vendor Feedback, and not minimum posts that I susggested previously.

Vendor/BST feedback - maybe, min posts - Aye.

Ian

I'm not sure about this. If a workable system could be devised then it would be a good thing no doubt, but rule no. 1 is caveat emptor, surely. The two posts mentioned by Max certainly raised my eyebrows, and I'd have though that the onus is firmly on the seller to establish his or her bona fides if they want to make a sale. Post count doesn't necessarily cut much ice with me, although it's generally a strong indicator of commitment to continued membership of the forum... personally I'm much more inclined to do business with someone I think I've got a feel for, rightly or wrongly. All of which is to say that I tend to go along with Boab's point of view.

I agree on the post count, doesn't mean anything.

But if we can just have a section where we can comment on fellow members and how the transaction went, if the stuff was as described etc..
It still won't protect anyone, but someone who's relatively new, can have a look, and say "hey, that guy has sold a few things, and he's a nice person to deal with"

That won't mean you or I can not do a transaction and disappear, we all can.

This would not be endorsement by the admin/mods, just feedback between members here.

We already do it on the BST threads, saying we've received items, nice person to deal with etc.. this would just centralise it per user, make it more accesible.

I'm not pushing it, it's just an idea that might be an advantage.

Max

pedro083 said:
Steve27752 said:
As a 'newbie' with nothing to sell :) I think 50 posts before posting items for sale?

the posts count means nothing as i could hang about for a couple weeks saying thats look good or the such and reach 50 posts no probs could proberly do it in a day if I tried

You can, but takes more effort, and it's a bit obvious if you do that..
Then again, I don't buy from low post counts, so I do my own filtering :D

Still think feedback would work though.

Max

Hiya,

Although I only recently started posting here, I've been a member in other goofy shaving forums for almost five years now. When it comes to things being offered for sale I found the vast majority of the sellers to be quite honest. That's from personal experience as well as the comments by other members that were posted over the years.

However, problems do exist, and the buyer can get stuck in a bad deal. Not only that, but the same sleazy seller can be doing the same thing to other members as well. As you can imagine, that's a real can of worms when it happens. This can go on for a while without anyone not involved in those deals knowing about the situation.

One of the reasons the same bad seller can operate for a while is the fact that most members are normally extremely patient and polite. Yep, I've seen it many times. Guys waiting waaay too long for something that shoulda been received and ultimately never was. I've seen deals where the item wasn't even close to the condition it was advertised to be, and the people are afraid to bad mouth someone they bought from.

I was in a crap deal like that a while back, but got the cash back after a lot of pushing. I didn't say anything in the forum about this deal, but I should have. Maybe a year later there's a thread about what a putz this guy was, and the bad deal the member who was posting was involved in. One or two other members besides me mighta added something as well. Actually, it turned into a spirited conversation between a bunch of members and the seller. Heh, that ended up with him being banned from that forum as well as another one.

There really does need to be a way to protect members from these situations. Posting about the deals made with members is a good place to start. It won't prevent anything of course, but the odds are certainly improved with good feedback.

The way I look at first or second time buying from a forum member is I give him a little more slack than I would an ebay deal. Works pretty well, but sometimes you gotta push things a little. Heh, being patient and polite is fine.....up to a point.

Maybe I can add something more later on, if something happens to float to the surface,

Martin

dodgy said:
I was in a crap deal like that a while back, but got the cash back after a lot of pushing. I didn't say anything in the forum about this deal, but I should have. Maybe a year later there's a thread about what a putz this guy was, and the bad deal the member who was posting was involved in. One or two other members besides me mighta added something as well. Actually, it turned into a spirited conversation between a bunch of members and the seller. Heh, that ended up with him being banned from that forum as well as another one.

And I apologised to you and you told me you'd draw a line under it and then you go and bring it all up again here like it was yesterday. :cry:

AND I AM NOT A PUTZ!!! :evil:

FrenchBlade said:
Following up on a few posts over the last few days with first posters selling expensive items.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5810</a><!-- l -->
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5804</a><!-- l -->
(just 2 examples)

This is done on the french straigh forum, we could have a subsection on BST, each topic is the name of the member (we shouldn't create new posts for each sale), whenever someone buys from them, they can leave positive feedback on the vendors thread. French forum link: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.coupechouclub.com/avis-sur-les-vendeurs-f12/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.coupechouclub.com/avis-sur-les-vendeurs-f12/</a><!-- m --> (for example purposes)
Also this would be helpful for newbies wanting to buy off BST.

Would be interesting, anyone in favor sat "Aye!"

Max

I am new to not only this forum, but this is the only forum I am a member of. I don't have much experience of the BST yet but would agree with Max that some sort of feedback would give potential buyers some sort of yardstick.

Kevin

One way a seller can make a lot of money fast is to put a few items up for sale at once then take the money and run. This happened on another forum recently (a chap from Bulgaria) and there is a possibility it has happened here too (though there is the hope the seller is just very slow and will come good in the end). A way of preventing this would be to only allow one item for sale per member at a time. Once that sale is completed then another one can go ahead. There is an incentive to get the item posted quickly, and you are then only as good as your last sale because a buyer can easily check this out. I don't expect this to be particularly popular, especially with regular sellers, but I'm just kind of thinking aloud here - it's just an idea. :?

Pig Cat said:
dodgy said:

And I apologised to you and you told me you'd draw a line under it and then you go and bring it all up again here like it was yesterday. :cry:

AND I AM NOT A PUTZ!!! :evil:

Oh boy........here we go. First though....Max, I apologize for derailing this kinda important thread.

Yes you said you were VERY sorry and yes I said I wouldn't mention that incident again. You'll notice I didn't use your name, or even say that nasty seller (you) was a member of this place. I was being polite, which is more than you deserve after that last ugly little item you sold me.

Man, I only wish I could point these TSR members to your posts in that last thread of yours over at you know where. Now THAT was entertainment. As you can imagine, I was really pissed that whole thread was deleted by the mods over there. Heh, it turned out to be the best thing that coulda happened to you.

Always nice typing in your general direction,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom