Bread...something new.

hunnymonster said:
Pig Cat said:
antdad said:
Did you max your oven or did you hold back on the temperature a bit? Be honest now.

I took it to the max, just like everything in my life!! :s The dial goes to 240 but I kept turning to where 260 would have been. It's a fan oven so I suppose that equates to about 240 in a normal oven.

Other way PC... Most fan ovens say when converting "non fan" recipes that you drop the temperature by 10° and the cooking time by 10 minutes per hour so 260 fan would be 270 normally aspirated...

Doh! Yes of course it is. We normally reduce recipe temp. by 20 degrees and get a good result.

I have a pretty hot oven then! :icon_razz:

After reading through this thread i started my first attempt last night and baked the bread this afternoon,quite pleased with the outcome, i think maybe i should have left the 2nd prove for a bit longer than 2 hrs and maybe left the loaf in the oven for another 10 mins or so but all in all very nice.
The wife and kids have steamed into it and like it so looks like i will be doing another soon! shame i'm on a diet but the 1 slice i had was lovely:icon_razz:
Any pointers gratefully accepted!

DSC_0177_zps01ea218f.jpg

DSC_0188_zps2437af15.jpg

I think you're right with the recommendations....still, good fissure on that crust and decent crumb.

Try and let it cool a bit before munching, that slight collapse is the tell tale sign of steaming into the loaf while it's still too warm. Been there... ;)

Now I've not got as far as bread from scratch yet but I do own a bread maker and just use the packet mixes. We tried the aldi 55p a bag white bread mix and it has given very good results quite an airy loaf with a very nice taste. So will be getting more of them

tonyspurs said:
I'll try that next time and update, yeah i'm gonna have to put everyone on a leash until it's cooled properly lol

Did you use any wholemeal flour in the mix? Unless it's the lighting the crumb looks quite dark and that will also cause a flatter loaf with less rise.

antdad said:
tonyspurs said:
I'll try that next time and update, yeah i'm gonna have to put everyone on a leash until it's cooled properly lol

Did you use any wholemeal flour in the mix? Unless it's the lighting the crumb looks quite dark and that will also cause a flatter loaf with less rise.

I think it's the light I used allinsons white strong bread flour,although I used wholemeal flour on the tea towel and to dust the top,
I definatley think I needed to be a bit more patient and 2nd prove for longer which I will be doing at the weekend
Thanks for the advice AD much appreciated

Brianpilman said:
Now I've not got as far as bread from scratch yet but I do own a bread maker and just use the packet mixes. We tried the aldi 55p a bag white bread mix and it has given very good results quite an airy loaf with a very nice taste. So will be getting more of them

Have a go Brian, bread premixes usually have plenty of additional ingredients like leavening and anti-caking agents, sugar, fat etc as well as way too much yeast to ensure the bread rises.

Just got to say Tony that i really enjoyed this bread. I'm going to try a longer first prove - 48 hours, as I've read around about the flavour improving. Also, what's your view on trying this with Chapati flour? I've made a traditional Twist type loaf and was impressed with the results - and at half the price of white flour it was worth a try.

Anything over 24 hrs and I think you'll have to refresh it with more flour and water like you would with a sour dough starter but see how you get on I'd be interested.

I did experiment with retarding the fermentation process by refrigeration for a few days, this is supposed to allow other microbes besides yeast to develop more flavour,
tbh I didn't really pursue it that thoroughly but I didn't notice a huge difference.

I'm sure Chapati flour has a fairly low protein content so you won't get the same crumb and crust as you would with a high protein bread flour, maybe try introducing a small % of chapati flour to the basic recipe and see how it is affected.

Just read this one! Not sure it'll work but its an interesting idea!!:)-)
Turn Ice Cream into a Loaf of Sweet Bread
BEST OF TECHNOLOGY | MAY 14, 2013
http://pulse.me/s/lDVXl

Next time I have some left over ice cream!!

A variation on a theme here:

No Knead Wholemeal Sourdough

You still get that magnificent crust although a slightly tighter crumb - could be the sourdough hydration; I've only just started on this type of bread and it's a cross between baking and alchemy. I've grown quite attached to the Sourdough starter, Mo, and feed it regularly: grapes the other day, they went down well.

Hi guys I've been making my own bread for almost 6 years now my favourite has to be a guiness and apple soda bread with I light grating of cheese on top. A lovely accompaniment to a glass of wine

YorkNeil said:
A variation on a theme here:

No Knead Wholemeal Sourdough

You still get that magnificent crust although a slightly tighter crumb - could be the sourdough hydration; I've only just started on this type of bread and it's a cross between baking and alchemy. I've grown quite attached to the Sourdough starter, Mo, and feed it regularly: grapes the other day, they went down well.

Interesting recipe, I think wholemeal doesn't rise as well because the wheatgerm interferes with the gluten.

Could be Tony, although I was surprised at how well the sourdough starter performed - much better rise than with dried yeast. As for the taste, the family demolished the loaf!

Back
Top Bottom