Blue Screen of Death

What does pottering about mean? As in what else did you do before attempting to open Chrome? Do you have another PC/Laptop with the same OS that you could get a repair disk from?

What does pottering about mean? As in what else did you do before attempting to open Chrome? Do you have another PC/Laptop with the same OS that you could get a repair disk from?

Nothing out of the ordinary, I was using an open office spreadsheet, minimised it went to open chrome, screen froze, then went black as though it was restarting the laptop then the blue screen as per the opening post. No other laptop/PC

I was hoping there may be some easy solution but I think professional help may be the way forward.

Sounds like it there are a few things that can cause that error, but the fixes need some technical nous. First thing I would look at is there a CD in the drive - if it has one. Second I'd check in the BIOS to see what the Hard Drive controller is set to - SATA controller usually these days - try changing it i.e. from AHCI mode to compatible mode. It sort of means it can't find the Boot information where it expects it to be so something has changed. As it rebooted (or sounds like it did) try the BIOS thing. Make a note of anything you change so you can change it back if it doesn't help.

Sounds like it there are a few things that can cause that error, but the fixes need some technical nous. First thing I would look at is there a CD in the drive - if it has one. Second I'd check in the BIOS to see what the Hard Drive controller is set to - SATA controller usually these days - try changing it i.e. from AHCI mode to compatible mode. It sort of means it can't find the Boot information where it expects it to be so something has changed. As it rebooted (or sounds like it did) try the BIOS thing. Make a note of anything you change so you can change it back if it doesn't help.

I tried changing AHCI to IDE mode but made no difference. I also tried changing the order in which it boots things up but alas to no avail.

Back
Top Bottom