Blade reccomendation.

Well, went with the Merkur Futur in place of the Gillette. Again a nice shave. RAPIRA Swedish steel nice!
But... Tried to Face Lather with Neutrogena Cream ... That was a mistake that was. A new non-favorite !!!

I got some Rapiras in the PIF that notthestig sent me. They were really nice.

Istill seem to prefer my Sharks tho - and noone else seems to like em lol.

SpeedyBabylon5 said:
Don't discount the Personna red either, I tried them early on when i first started de shaving and have just revisited them. They work fantastic in the progress.

Yes I like them in the R41. Some razor and blade combinations work really well, others just don't. For example for me Rapiras which I like just don't work in an iKon whereas Voshkods do. I don't really understand why.

I think my favourite blade is the Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge - yellow box - I'm slowly working my way through the selection pack from Connaught and thoroughly enjoying the exercise!
Until this week Astras were No 1 for me, Feather is the only one that I've cut myself with, Derby & Shark I didn't get on with, Personna Platinum was fine, but didn't last like the 7 O'Clock seems to.
Just Lord and Wilkinson to try yet ......
What a great hobby :)

I still seem to prefer my Sharks tho - and noone else seems to like em lol.
[/quote]

I too think the Shark is a great blade. Although I prefer the Chrome to the SS. After trying many different blades from a sampler, the Shark Chrome gives me the most comfortable consistent shave.

huge personna fan myself. Having gone through derby's first, onto feathers and through various gillettes. The personnas were the ones I settled on as a pretty permanent choice.

Speaking as a safety razor 'noob', I (was) happy in using the Derby blades that came with it. But now, reading the depth of feeling people have about blades, I think that I need to try some other brands. This begs the question of how many noob safety razor users whose first blade that they use maybe isn't compatible to their razor or skin/beard type, get a bad shaving experience that might put them off safety razor shaving indefinately?

Probably not many Frankie, the mantra most repeated to new shavers here is "try some different ones early on" and most people seem to actively enjoy that part so I imagine not many drop out as a result of a poor-ish blade selection to start with. Besides which, most people don't know a bad blade until they've tried a really good one.
My first was a Merkur, then a few Derbies, then I think it was Gillettes. The Merkurs and Derbies seemed okay at the time but I wouldn't choose them now.

Aye Canuck...there appears to be an underlying feeling with a lot of peeps on here about blade types and their own preferred blade choice. So trial (and probably error) could be the key to finding a better blade. By saying better implies sorting blades into 'good and bad' categories......it might be more positive to grade blades to personal preference and comfort. It will be fun trying some out.

Frankieabbott said:
Speaking as a safety razor 'noob', I (was) happy in using the Derby blades that came with it. But now, reading the depth of feeling people have about blades, I think that I need to try some other brands. This begs the question of how many noob safety razor users whose first blade that they use maybe isn't compatible to their razor or skin/beard type, get a bad shaving experience that might put them off safety razor shaving indefinately?

Hi there,

In a way, you were lucky to start with a blade that may not be a very good fit. I did that myself years ago and stayed with the blade for almost three weeks before trying a different type. Once that happened, I realized my shaving technique had been improving, even though the shaves weren't so hot with the first blade (Merkur). I'd bet you are gonna notice quite a difference with the next blades you sample.

New DE users have lots of ways to screw up that could cause em to stop shaving with one after a short while. The wrong razor can be a rough road, so there's that to deal with. There's the 'no pressure' thingy to learn, along with the reduction method and why that works. Yeah, it can be easy to just say the hell with it after 4-5 shaves if the experience isn't good.

It's all in the motivation,

Martin

What is this strange phenomenon, (strange to me anyway at the moment) about some blades giving a better/more comfortable shave on their second use, (like, after they have been used once). Is it a case of them being just too sharp when first used and that they have blunted or de burred a little by the second time of using?

Frankieabbott said:
What is this strange phenomenon, (strange to me anyway at the moment) about some blades giving a better/more comfortable shave on their second use, (like, after they have been used once). Is it a case of them being just too sharp when first used and that they have blunted or de burred a little by the second time of using?

True that. Try hand stropping the blade before the first use to see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom