Blade reccomendation.

Good afternoon peops!

When I joined TSR, I was very kindly pif'd a selection of blades from a member here (Cheers Northam Saint!).

So far, I have tried Derby, Shark Super Stainless and Astra Platinums.

I didnt think much of the Derbys, the Shark ones were pretty good and I absolutely LOVE the Astras so far. Does this mean I should stick with a "Platinum" finish blade?

Can you guys reccomend any that are similar to the Astras? I still have a few other types here I havn't tried yet, but thought I'd ask the question.

Stu.

Hi,

I don't think you can draw a conclusion like you should stick to platinum coated blades at this stage.

I am even a bit reluctant to say that Astra's are the best blade for you. The reason is, your technique is probably getting way better with every shave right now.

I would find a blade among those you have been PIF'd, that irritates you the least, then in a month or two, when your technique is much better, go through a sampler again to find that blade that really is for you. By then you will be better suited to evaluate the blade characteristics, because you wont be affected by fluctuations in lather quality or technique.

/Max

PS: I'm going through a sampling process right now for the second time, to find out which blades to put in which razor. I guess this kind of behaviour in "normal" for us compulsive shaving type people.... Welcome to the madness :D

One platinum blade isn't the same as the next anyway, you really do just have to try a few and see what works for you. Max is right that you're improving your technique so a blade that you try now (and don't like) might feel great in 3 months.

Having said that, I'd say that the blades below are all regarded as high quality and very few people don't get on with them, but with blades one man's beauty can always be another man's villain:

Gillette 7 o'clock yellow sharpedge
Gillette 7 o'clock green super stainless
Gillette 7 o'clock black super platinum
Gillette Superthin
Feather Hi-Stainless

Polsilver seem to be getting good press right now but I've settled on 3 choices and I'm not interested in trying more.

PM me an address if you want to try some Gillettes.

The Gillette 7 O'clock yellows are one of my favourite blades. They're made in the same factory in Russia as the Astras. They're not the same blades though - for some reason the Astras have never worked as well for me.

Johnus said:
Must be new not liking the Derbys!!:)-)

Oh hell yes,

That's gotta be the reason.....poor guy doesn't know any better yet. Yeah, my favorite set up is an Old Type of some kind, loaded with a Derby blade that shaves differently on each side. Yep, the new member doesn't know what he's missing.

Dodgy

You're finally starting to learn the 'joy of shaving'! I knew you could do it.
I may have a new favorite blade. Won't say yet. But they're 8$ a hundred with postage. 1st shave with them and a '04 was heaven!!

I've been using the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow SharpEdge up until today.

I tried an Astra Platinum today and it ripped my face to shreds. It appears Astras may not be for me, well not yet anyway.

Slick's favourites are ones I would personally recommend. There are some Rapira super stainless in the ones I sent you, noobstu, plus quite a few others. I also included some Supermax which I know you said you had tried and didn't say you hated or liked so I thought, what the hell.

You got to watch out for Dodgy - he is that rare thing: an American who understands and practises sarcasm.

Of the bunch I sent the Polsilver would be my favourite, but this is pretty sharp and smooth. Easy to cut yourself and not notice straightaway.

Johnus said:
I may have a new favorite blade. Won't say yet. But they're 8$ a hundred with postage. 1st shave with them and a '04 was heaven!!
[cough, cough]Rapira Swedish Supersteel[cough, splutter]

Canuck said:
One platinum blade isn't the same as the next anyway, you really do just have to try a few and see what works for you. Max is right that you're improving your technique so a blade that you try now (and don't like) might feel great in 3 months.

Having said that, I'd say that the blades below are all regarded as high quality and very few people don't get on with them, but with blades one man's beauty can always be another man's villain:

Gillette 7 o'clock yellow sharpedge
Gillette 7 o'clock green super stainless
Gillette 7 o'clock black super platinum
Gillette Superthin
Feather Hi-Stainless

Polsilver seem to be getting good press right now but I've settled on 3 choices and I'm not interested in trying more.

PM me an address if you want to try some Gillettes.

Yes, this except I cant stand Superthins! YMMV. Yellows are particularly good. And Polsilvers. Not to mention Rapira's.

Not derby's though..

NotTheStig said:
Slick's favourites are ones I would personally recommend. There are some Rapira super stainless in the ones I sent you, noobstu, plus quite a few others. I also included some Supermax which I know you said you had tried and didn't say you hated or liked so I thought, what the hell.

Of the bunch I sent the Polsilver would be my favourite, but this is pretty sharp and smooth. Easy to cut yourself and not notice straightaway.

Stig, you truly are a king amongst men. Thankyou kindly.

Johnus said:
[cough, cough]Rapira Swedish Supersteel[cough, splutter]

Thats rather a nasty cough you have there, Johnus, may I reccomend some Covonia?

Ok, I may be back to the Derby's as number one! The RAPIRA in a R41 today did give me something I haven't had in a while; a'weeper on my neck. I'll give them another chance in the 'Slant' tomorrow. They had such potential at 8cents each!

Well gentlemen tried the RAPIRA in the big Merkur Slant this morning and it was excellent!! Two real passes and done. If I can continue to get the Russian at 8$; I may have a new favorite!
Will try them next in the Gillette adjustables.

Back
Top Bottom