Bit of research

I get by very happily with my Mexican cereal bowl. 15cm dia x 7 cm high. Little ridges on the inside, but I doubt they are deliberate, just shoddy workmanship which for a change is appreciated.

Some sort of play doh that sets after drying overnite was thinking why not use it to try the feel and look of different shapes :)

21mm Base. Synthetic knot. Tomorrow's work has just sorted itself out...

bb91149aa5786f57b155dc5d3bb024c8.jpg

handle made.
Just waiting for the varnish to dry overnight and will add at least 2 more coats.
03001a13e48ca5aefa0a15a71b2adb3c.jpg

Have also made up a DE razor handle from the same Spalted Sycamore wood. Again, waiting on the varnish to dry and needs a few more coats.
449df70b6f01ff036c1e2c6879018380.jpg

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Now I like the look of this...
I'm with Paul. I'm fond of synthetics and boar (not so much Badger!) and so far I like my RazorRock Barber handle and the Omega 49.
Although my custom handle I made from a Semogue 830 is kinda sweet too!

Haven't done much since the other day. Put a second coat of varnish on earlier. Will test the waterproofing tomorrow. If it passes, then I'll add a coat of quick drying lacquer, buff and wax then assemble all the parts. If it fails, I'll have to refinish!

Newbie questions: Do you waterproof the hole with epoxy before gluing the knot? Or it is done in connection with gluing the knot? Or varnish is waterproof enough and epoxy is just for gluing?

Have varnished the hole, but the epoxy should waterproof it alone. However, end grain is very difficult to seal, so I use a dipping method to ensure the grain is sealed.

Following your work with interest ordered a 30 mm 2-band finest badger and some bubinga wood and from a clueless start I am hoping to finish with a big & beautiful shaving brush :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom