Best way to manage PMs?

Gingerpose said:
There is a donate via Paypal link on the main page of the site.

That's interesting - I've never seen that in all the time I've been here. When I try to get the 'main' page, I'm immediately taken to the 'forum' page with no link to be seen.

Anyway, I'd rather pay, knowing everyone else has paid too - we're all in this together!

I also think that some features should only be available for paid members, like the BST forum, for most folk, me included, just using this once by the savings made, will cover a small 'annual' subscription charge...

StephenShave said:
Gingerpose said:
There is a donate via Paypal link on the main page of the site.

That's interesting - I've never seen that in all the time I've been here. When I try to get the 'main' page, I'm immediately taken to the 'forum' page with no link to be seen.

Anyway, I'd rather pay, knowing everyone else has paid too - we're all in this together!

I also think that some features should only be available for paid members, like the BST forum, for most folk, me included, just using this once by the savings made, will cover a small 'annual' subscription charge...

Making the BST only available by subscription is shooting in one's leg as a lot of the stuff passing there is aimed at newbies that probably wouldn't have a subscription (yet).

It's like taking the first time buyers out of the property market, sound familiar?

You can donate and you can buy from Amazon via the links at the bottom of the page so TSR gets a kick-back - can't remember the name of the scheme, operated by Amazon. You become an Associate.

Shemen Zait said:
Making the BST only available by subscription is shooting in one's leg as a lot of the stuff passing there is aimed at newbies that probably wouldn't have a subscription (yet).

It's like taking the first time buyers out of the property market, sound familiar?

Not so - if it was restricted to sales only whereas purchasers can be anyone. I believe there is already a restriction on who can post items in the BST but that does not affect the ability to purchase by sending a PM.

Bechet45 said:
You can donate and you can buy from Amazon via the links at the bottom of the page so TSR gets a kick-back - can't remember the name of the scheme, operated by Amazon. You become an Associate.

Must be my browser (firefox v29.0.1) as I can neither see a 'paypal' donation link, nor a link to 'amazon'!

IanM said:
Delete them when you've finished with them, job done.

Ian

That's a great point - how can you be sure "you're finished" with them? At Christmas time, I decided to send some festive cards to those that have PFd me on this forum. Annoyingly, to 'save space', which must be about 10kb at maximum (!) I'd deleted some of those contacts.

Personally. I think if it's worth saving then I copy and paste the contents into an email to myself. After that, I just delete them.

I've kept years worth of emails in my Yahoo account, but I'm not quite sure why. Probably because I can and not often any other good reason.

StephenShave said:
IanM said:
Delete them when you've finished with them, job done.

Ian

That's a great point - how can you be sure "you're finished" with them? At Christmas time, I decided to send some festive cards to those that have PFd me on this forum. Annoyingly, to 'save space', which must be about 10kb at maximum (!) I'd deleted some of those contacts.

Copy the contact details that you wish to keep from the PMs, stick them in a notepad file and then delete the messages from your inbox.

Ian

You can also create folders here, so perhaps move important stuff to a 'Keep' folder and that way everything else that remains can be deleted.

It doesn't make your allocated size any larger, but it helps to determine what needs to be kept vs what can go.

jb74 said:
You can also create folders here, so perhaps move important stuff to a 'Keep' folder and that way everything else that remains can be deleted.

It doesn't make your allocated size any larger, but it helps to determine what needs to be kept vs what can go.

Have tried that! Creating folders just becomes a sub folder of your PMs, so it doesn't save any space whatsoever :(

Correct, no extra space, thus the point -

"It doesn't make your allocated size any larger, but it helps to determine what needs to be kept vs what can go."

jb74 said:
I've kept years worth of emails in my Yahoo account, but I'm not quite sure why.

Having major problems with being organised, I find old emails are invaluable for digging out information such as people's names, company info, employment dates, accommodation dates, purchase info, etc – I'd be lost without Yahoo.

All depends on how you use it I guess. Only the very rare occasion do I go back in time for something as I really just use email for ordering stuff and sending the odd photo to a family member.

At work we're only allocated 150mb for our mailbox and stuff gets auto purged after 3 months. So, if you need to keep something, you have to make the effort.

jb74 said:
At work we're only allocated 150mb for our mailbox and stuff gets auto purged after 3 months. So, if you need to keep something, you have to make the effort.

That's a relic from years back! You can buy 1Tb of memory now for £30 - professional installations can get memory much cheaper!

Where I work, we're an insurance company first. We're not Yahoo or Google or the like. Personally I think it's a mechanism to force people to manage their mailboxes more efficiently.

I wouldn't say it's a relic... large corporations are all about cost management and reduction as well as maintaining scale. You can't simply justify uncontrolled expansion based on cost alone.

Then, when done at a corporate level, you have to factor in all the other costs... installation, maintenance, upgrade, replacement, repair, localization, mirroring, backup, archive. Then, taking my employer as an example, factor in 10,000 employees.

For a site like this, you could be dealing with a 3rd party for storage and hosting and they're in the business of making money. So an extra TB will cost them X but they're going to sell it for a multiple of that.

Back
Top Bottom