Best way to manage PMs?

I have 3 x pages of PMs and a red flag saying I'm 94% full!

Firstly, memory is as cheap as chips these days so am at a loss why we need to 'manage' such light text messages anyway. But if we do, is there a way of clearing out the 'inbox' to somewhere else, and stop the forum having a canary? Or do I have to just delete everything despite it being a great reference of previous purchases & contacts?

Judging by the number of messages on the Buy/Sell forum letting someone or other know that their inbox is full & they can't get anymore messages, it's not an uncommon issue!

The best way to manage PMs - like the best way to manage anything you care to think of - is to manage them. Just letting them accumulate is not managing them.

Bechet45 said:
The best way to manage PMs - like the best way to manage anything you care to think of - is to manage them. Just letting them accumulate is not managing them.

I beg to differ! My email account has been active for 15 years, it has in excess of 24,000 emails in it. I have a few primary folders for sorting stuff, but can find anything else in seconds by using the simple 'search' function. I still have emails from friends/family that are no longer with us. Who can be arsed 'deleting' stuff? Life's far too short LOL

Bechet45 said:

Well Carl, there's a few inconvenient things I've run across. One is that however many messages are picked to be deleted, only half the number shows as disappeared. So I toss out 6, but only shows as 3 gone in the message space.

The other thing is there's some messages i just don't care to get rid of, for whatever the reason. I am constantly culling the herd as it is, so the ones left are some I really would like to hang onto. Heck, you saw me with an overloaded box just a couple weeks ago. Always around 95% full as it is.

I'd like to have an extra 100-200 spots in reserve for Armageddon.

Something to think about anyway. I mean really Carl, which ones of those poems you typed to me should I delete? See what I mean now?

dodgy said:
Bechet45 said:

Well Carl, there's a few inconvenient things I've run across. One is that however many messages are picked to be deleted, only half the number shows as disappeared. So I toss out 6, but only shows as 3 gone in the message space.

The other thing is there's some messages i just don't care to get rid of, for whatever the reason. I am constantly culling the herd as it is, so the ones left are some I really would like to hang onto. Heck, you saw me with an overloaded box just a couple weeks ago. Always around 95% full as it is.

I'd like to have an extra 100-200 spots in reserve for Armageddon.

Something to think about anyway. I mean really Carl, which ones of those poems you typed to me should I delete? See what I mean now?

Cut and Paste. Please don't delete Cut and Paste - that one was from my heart!

hunnymonster said:
Since I'm the one currently paying for the server space and bandwidth this site uses, I rather like it when you manage your collective messages...

I'm a member of a car forum owners club, and pay an annual membership fee for the privilege. I suppose I could open a can of worms and say I'd quite happily pay a modest £5 annual fee for this forum? I don't know how many members there are, but I'm sure there's a way of letting us help out with the cost?

I'd happily pay a fiver for TSR membership, can't speak for everyone though.

I am registered on a clothing forum and they have both registered and unregistered members allowed, but those who pay the subscription fee have access to special deals, competitions, discount codes etc. etc.

I have to admit my PM 's do get a bit full from time to time. Then I have a big cull.

Emails I sub folder and every so often I cull the too.

The. Question is the need to keep them, after a while they are mostly not worth keeping if I'm really honest.

PMs? Thought you meant Prime Ministers and was going to suggest assassination but I suppose that works quite well for private messages too....:D

I pay £1.4/month for a 150 GB space on Google Drive, I think the server provider for TSR is taking the Michael. Not value for money in my book. In my previous career I was helping to run mail servers on IBM Lotus platform for clients of all sizes and I know from the inside that storage is in real terms becomes cheaper year on year.

And why the mailbox indicator is not going down once messages deleted from inbox and sent items? My mailbox is on 59% even days after clear up, I know that this thing is not always instantaneous but common this is taking the pish.

Shemen Zait said:
And why the mailbox indicator is not going down once messages deleted from inbox and sent items? My mailbox is on 59% even days after clear up, I know that this thing is not always instantaneous but common this is taking the pish.

You need to delete them from your trash.

Lb1 said:
Shemen Zait said:

You need to delete them from your trash.

HAHAH, good one Liam, forgot about the trash, I am a shiny example of well managed box at 17% now, cheers.

StephenShave said:
I'm a member of a car forum owners club, and pay an annual membership fee for the privilege. I suppose I could open a can of worms and say I'd quite happily pay a modest £5 annual fee for this forum? I don't know how many members there are, but I'm sure there's a way of letting us help out with the cost?

There is a donate via Paypal link on the main page of the site.

Back
Top Bottom