Best way to manage PMs?

PhilD said:
StephenShave said:
Must be my browser (firefox v29.0.1) as I can neither see a 'paypal' donation link, nor a link to 'amazon'!

Have you got Ad-block extension installed?

LOL, of course I have, I'm a grumpy old man and can't stand all that intrusive rubbish cluttering up my screen :icon_razz:

StephenShave said:
PhilD said:
Have you got Ad-block extension installed?

LOL, of course I have, I'm a grumpy old man and can't stand all that intrusive rubbish cluttering up my screen :icon_razz:

Same here. With it disabled I can see the Amazon ads and some others near the top. The Paypal donation link is on the site home page via clicking the main logo.

I undertake to make a donation when (if) I ever get another paying job...

Re: RE: Best way to manage PMs?

StephenShave said:
jb74 said:
At work we're only allocated 150mb for our mailbox and stuff gets auto purged after 3 months. So, if you need to keep something, you have to make the effort.

That's a relic from years back! You can buy 1Tb of memory now for £30 - professional installations can get memory much cheaper!

Not with sufficient error correction & uptime guarantees you can't. Just because you can go to xyz internet shed and get one delivered does not cover the whole cost of the memory nor any contingent operations behind.

Perhaps if PMs are so hard to manage, we should stop providing any storage at all?

How is it possible that my PM system has rarely got more than 15 messages in it? 99.99% are read, reply, delete.

There is the facility to download them if you want to keep them, if you want to do so, use the facility, if not don't.

Let me be clear - we are not going down the road of differential features or access based on subscriptions or donations. My life (and I suspect speak for Boab too) outside this forum is too busy to be managing that plus the inevitable 'I paid my dues and xyz didn't happen' overhead.

hunnymonster said:
StephenShave said:
jb74 said:
At work we're only allocated 150mb for our mailbox and stuff gets auto purged after 3 months. So, if you need to keep something, you have to make the effort.

That's a relic from years back! You can buy 1Tb of memory now for £30 - professional installations can get memory much cheaper!

Not with sufficient error correction & uptime guarantees you can't. Just because you can go to xyz internet shed and get one delivered does not cover the whole cost of the memory nor any contingent operations behind.

Perhaps if PMs are so hard to manage, we should stop providing any storage at all?

How is it possible that my PM system has rarely got more than 15 messages in it? 99.99% are read, reply, delete.

There is the facility to download them if you want to keep them, if you want to do so, use the facility, if not don't.

Let me be clear - we are not going down the road of differential features or access based on subscriptions or donations. My life (and I suspect speak for Boab too) outside this forum is too busy to be managing that plus the inevitable 'I paid my dues and xyz didn't happen' overhead.

I think that's fair enough. Download them and do what you want with them. People shouldn't have to expand because people can't organise themselves.

Lifes to short to be waiting through old pms, say with emails, archive them nicely and leave it at that.

I bet your all the people with the messy desktop icons on screen too![emoji12]

mattyb240 said:
I think that's fair enough. Download them and do what you want with them. People shouldn't have to expand because people can't organise themselves.

Lifes to short to be waiting through old pms, say with emails, archive them nicely and leave it at that.

I bet your all the people with the messy desktop icons on screen too![emoji12]

My desktop is squeaky clean! As with most OCD behavior, if I can see it, it's immaculately tidy, if it's hidden, it can be as messy as anything LOL Just worked out how to export messages as a .txt file. Saved it in 'notebook' and it takes up 13Kb! Thanks for the suggestions...

OK - that was easy! Once I'd found the "Download messages" button it was just follow your nose. There's a screen full of .txt messages, bookmark the page - except, of course, I book marked something else. So where do the messages go once you hit the "Export" button? I'll admit, I was expected to be able to choose a folder or create one - but paff! and they are somewhere in my computer or in the ether.

Help, please! Can I recover them?

First place to look would be your Downloads folder I guess. I think that's the default place where things like this end up, though others may know better.

Hmm, just tried it. It doesn't save them anywhere as far as I can see, just puts the text into the tab as you say.

Unless anyone knows a quicker way, you can press [control]+A to highlight the text, [control]+C to copy, open Notepad, and paste the text into that, finally saving it from there to a location of your choice...

PhilD said:
First place to look would be your Downloads folder I guess. I think that's the default place where things like this end up, though others may know better.

Hmm, just tried it. It doesn't save them anywhere as far as I can see, just puts the text into the tab as you say.

Unless anyone knows a quicker way, you can press [control]+A to highlight the text, [control]+C to copy, open Notepad, and paste the text into that, finally saving it from there to a location of your choice...

That last is indeed what I should have done!

Re: RE: Best way to manage PMs?

jb74 said:
Where I work, we're an insurance company first. We're not Yahoo or Google or the like. Personally I think it's a mechanism to force people to manage their mailboxes more efficiently.

I wouldn't say it's a relic... large corporations are all about cost management and reduction as well as maintaining scale. You can't simply justify uncontrolled expansion based on cost alone.

Then, when done at a corporate level, you have to factor in all the other costs... installation, maintenance, upgrade, replacement, repair, localization, mirroring, backup, archive. Then, taking my employer as an example, factor in 10,000 employees.

For a site like this, you could be dealing with a 3rd party for storage and hosting and they're in the business of making money. So an extra TB will cost them X but they're going to sell it for a multiple of that.

Excellent IT policy.

I work in IT and most of our users have a 2Gb mailbox. I would love to implement a 150 Mb limit. The more space you allocate the more crap they tend to store. When they get a 'Your mailbox is reaching its limit' message, the first thing they ask for is for an increase rather than spend a few minutes house keeping.

Bechet45 said:
That last is indeed what I should have done!

You can re-open each previous tab in turn by holding down [shift] and [ctrl] and repeatedly pressing [T]. Might just get them back for you. Or perhaps try the history, though I don't know if that would work. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom