Barbaros TR-1 - Stainless Steel Safety Razor

A little while ago, there were 7 silver razors hanging on the wall. Now there are 6. That's in spite of the blasted £-$ going south, but, hey-ho, as they say. I hope it arrives as fast as the Rocnel did.

Hasan, this is an exceptional razor.

Packaging and physical appearance are great. I haven't weighed it, but it feels very heavy.

The shininess and the smooth edges make it look very attractive, but also dominate how the shave feels. If I had to pick one word for a Barbaros shave, it would be COMFORT. I have a Feather ASD2 and have had a Hone 15, and the Barbaros is in that ballpark for comfort. I don't usually use alum, but I've tested it after a Barbaros shave, and there is zero sting. It's far more efficient than those razors though. The shave I just had is fairly close.

The angle I used was a bit unusual, much shallower than usual. Feedback was OK, but I reckon if I stuck to the Barbaros and learned the angle, I could do even better than I did this morning. My current favourite DE razor is the Ikon Deluxe, which is quite different to the Barbaros. The Deluxe feels quite aggressive during the shave, and there is no mistaking the perfect angle, although the post-shave feel is fine, and it's incredibly close. Even so, the Barbaros has me reconsidering.

Today's shave was using a Shark blade (Nishy has me addicted to these now), with Obsidian soap (also Nishy's fault). I'm someone who could easily shave twice or three times a day, without irritation. On this occasion, I had a day's worth of growth.

I didn't realise Turkish imports to the EU don't attract customs charges. I would have bought earlier if that was written in big letters on the website!

So, to sum up... well made, comfort, comfort, comfort. I don't think I could cut myself with this if I tried. Close shave. Wonderful!

If an OC baseplate comes out, I will probably buy it.

Back
Top Bottom