Baked beans.

The Heinz 'Five Beanz' is now my default baked bean. I used some last night in a sausage and bacon casserole and they made it extra tasty and more interesting than if I'd used normal beans as the recipe suggested.

Any preferably with a couple of teaspoons of any curry paste and a good quantity of cheddar cheese grated in, sounds disgusting but tastes great especially on a baked potato.

jcr said:
i add an oxo cube to my beans. improves the flavour no end.

Someone else does it! :)

My brother-in-law showed me this back in about 1980 and I've never seen anyone else do it since.

Last night had some Branston with Chorizo - I liked them but SWMBO didn't as she'll only eat Heinz.

A nice big dash of Tabasco Chipotle can work wonders as well!

I got hooked on a large dash of worcestershire sauce on beans on toast when The Hub cafe used to be at Glentress, after a morning mountain biking they were the mutts nuts and the worcestershire sauce fairly pepped them up but in general I'd buy Heinz. I've tried Branston but wasn't impressed.

Father Ted said:
WiffWaff said:
Father Ted... are you expecting a nuclear holocaust?
Something like that.
I keep plenty of long life stuff in stock like rice, pasta, tinned goods and UHT milk, and I can power and heat the house off grid for about a week...

You can do all of that on Beans. I'm truly impressed!!!

Just had the garlic and herb again tonight and they are quite nice. Nothing that could not be replicated with a cheap tin of beans though for a fraction of the price, but as they were on offer at the time I thought I would try them.

Johnus - with 6 of us in the house eating nothing but beans, its wonderfully warm though I have to add ballast to the cellar to avoid the house taking off....

I must admit to a fondness for the occasional breakfast beanfeast. My favourites are Branston (Crosse & Blackwell as was). Several own brand labels are acceptable too, but Heinz are bottom of the list for me. They are certainly distinctive, but I find them too soft and the sauce too sweet.

sorry to drag this up, but thought some of you may like my take on Sausage and beans-

Fry some butchers sausages (1 per person is enough) along with some thick cut bacon (smoked or not- your choice)

Once cooked put aside to cool.

Now fry 1/4 onion per person and a 1/2 garlic clove person. Once softened add a couple of slices of Chilli per person and fry off for a minute. Add a few Cumin seeds and black pepper.

Now add a small tin of your favourite baked beans per 2 people, add a can (qty as per 2 people) of borlotti/white beans/kidney beans/whatever floats your boat.

Whilst that is heating up slice and chop the precooked bacon and sausages and add to the pan

Now add some Passata to taste, and let it all simmer for 30 mins. I add lots of Passata as I like it .

Feel free to add more herbs and spices. The recipe above is more of a base if you get my drift.

I serve it with Creamy mashed potatoes, but it would be good with Pasta, Rice os Noodle. Or none of those and a side salad.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom