Artisan soaps vs mass produced

... that conflagrates 'artisan' with 'quality' ...
The very marketing ploy that is desired, as with designer clothing, micro-breweries. Of shaving soaps, we like the 'personal investment' that goes into each pot and the variety of scents made possible by small batch soap-making. To me, 'artisan' means 'we are different'. I like different and variety.

The very marketing ploy that is desired, as with designer clothing, micro-breweries. Of shaving soaps, we like the 'personal investment' that goes into each pot and the variety of scents made possible by small batch soap-making. To me, 'artisan' means 'we are different'. I like different and variety.

Have you got a list of the artisan soaps linked with this forum?

Which makes perfect sense. But do we not then need to differentiate between your Martin de Candres and your Beiersdorfs? Neither can be defined as 'artisan', using the above definition, and both involve 'industrial' manufacturing processes and divisions of labour. Yet they are fundamentally different businesses with vastly different approaches to soapmaking.

I personally find that 'artisan' vs 'mass produced' is a false dichotomy that conflagrates 'artisan' with 'quality' and, in the process, denigrates perfectly worthy products that don't fit the 'artisan' marque.
Whoah! Do you mean there isn't a bloke called Martin de Candre spending 8 hours a day patting soaps into jars?!

Just ordered 2 pucks from this supplier - very cheap and already been emailed to say they've been dispatched - surprising as the site and the order pages were all in German - a language I have very little experience of - I just clicked the buttons based on guesswork!
Yeah..He Does a Fast Delivery as Well..This Stuff Goes on Like Plastering a Wall..I Kid You Not..Add Water a Bit at a Time for Slickness that You Want..:D

Billy

IMHO..you can find good and bad soaps both artisan and mass produced.
The best mass produced soap in my opinion is the Body Shop Maca Root £8.00 for 200ml. It's also available via mail order
Search the youtube vids you'll find some some very favourable reviews.

I was lucky enough to have started shaving with Yardleys hard soaps. Upon my return to DE shaving , i started with creams and have moved on to soaps, those used by the masses [ Tabac, Speick] as well as those from relatively small operations
MWF, Lea, & Vitos. On the artisan side , I have tried OSP, which i like a Lot.

As I do not have a particularly good sense of smell , I have not felt the need to try Artisan as those soaps that I do use , seem to work well, and leave my skin refreshed. Plus , as the way soap lasts have enough to reach ? .Then maybe think again , though this morning tempted by Haslinger.

I think it varies. I don't know how much "mass produced" soap I actually use. Do MWF, DRH count as mass produced? Does MdC? I quite like MWF and DRH among the bigger names. Tabac & Haslinger are ok, but not as good as those. Artisan stuff varies - quite often they have interesting smells, but performance varies considerably. P&B stands up to MWF & DRH though.

A 10 point summary:
1. There is some question over the meaning of 'artisan' but generally speaking (and my own meaning when I created the thread) it refers to smaller scale manufacturers (let's say working from a single workshop, shop, or home).
2. Artisan soap makers tend to face higher production costs and, simply because they work on a smaller scale, they don't benefit as much from economies of scale...their prices often reflect this.
3. Artisans create soaps with a wider range of scents - this benefits users who rate this highly (never underestimate the 'aromatherapy' aspect of shaving - it also applies to face wash, aftershave, post balm, etc)
4. However, there is some suspicion that some artisans might neglect to adhere to certain regulations in the use of certain compounds - they maybe beyond the scrutiny that mass producers often face
5. Artisans offer greater choice and should therefore be supported (and their soaps make many of this forum's piccies look really cool)
6. Some users find artisan provide the only product that meets the needs of their skin's idiosyncratic sensitivities
7. While the cost of artisan products is often significantly higher than larger scale brands, and usually disproportionate to the volume of soap in the container, it is fair to say that shaving soap often lasts a very long time and the higher cost when spread out over this time remains a puny burden on the wallet
8. Some users have discovered the one soap to rule them all and will stick with it, artisan on not
9. Many users choose their soap on the basis of the quality of the shave and if they get this from a 150g tube costing £2, then they will feel ridiculous paying seven or eight times more for an artisan product that, to them, simply smells a bit nicer
10. The performance of any soap will vary from face to face, pre-shave method to pre-shave method, razor and blade, to razor and blade. In the first of these, at least, we are all unique.

Conclusion: There are no rights and wrongs about shaving soap.

Oh yes there are! What about all this illegal importing of EU non-compliant soaps? And then selling it on to unsuspecting newbies who don't have any idea that their face is about to be melted or eaten off. In spite of so much shared DNA, a soap tested on American faces is not necessarily good for our faces - not without a label to say it is, anyway.

And with VW in mind. can we really trust the labels on shaving soap not made in UK? Truly?

I wish TOBS creams would take out their face eating ingredient - not everyone, but lots, including mine.

Oh yes there are! What about all this illegal importing of EU non-compliant soaps? And then selling it on to unsuspecting newbies who don't have any idea that their face is about to be melted or eaten off. In spite of so much shared DNA, a soap tested on American faces is not necessarily good for our faces - not without a label to say it is, anyway.

And with VW in mind. can we really trust the labels on shaving soap not made in UK? Truly?

I wish TOBS creams would take out their face eating ingredient - not everyone, but lots, including mine.
+ 1..Yeah That..:eek:

Billy

Back
Top Bottom