ARKO Shave stick

What's peoples experience with the turkish ARKO shave stick?
I bought one as I have used a palmolive stick before, and found that the lather was incredible, by far the best I have tried, and I used a big boar hair brush that worked great. Given my experience I am wondering why folks use an expensive cream like Trumpers and an expensive brush like a Silvertip?

I like Arko, but I find it dries my skin something horrid. I also think it smells of Jif or Cif or whatever it's called these days.

My experience so far with boar brushes isn't as good either. But that's what makes this fun, everyone is different and everyone has different experiences.
Arko and a boar brush are still in my rotation though :)

I'm a great fan of Arko - I stuff my sticks in a bowl for ease of use. But we all have varying tastes. Boar and a cheap soap stick will serve you well. But some prefer the luxury and performance of soft badger hair and the fine scents available from the likes of Trumpers. It was ever thus.

I recently acquired a couple of Arko sticks and I am really impressed with the lather they produce.

The scent is somewhat, umm, industrial, but if you can get over that, it's top notch stuff.

Ian

Whilst I don't really like the public toilet scent of Arko, if I wasn't really happy with glycerine soaps it would certainly be way up there on my daily use list. Based on performance & cost I'd agree that it punches well above its weight. But then, I believe that most of us might agree that not all of our shaving kit is bought entirely on cost effectiveness grounds.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Lots written on here about Arko. For most it's the smell. It reminds me of lemon sherbet, but I can see the urinal cake resemblances. I think that's the main reason, perhaps with foil packaging secondary.

Find that all of the ARKO products that I've used are excellent. The new Cool Shave Cream that they came out with I think will be a summer favorite for me. Used it this am with an open razor and it was very nice.

It's great value for money, and you can always rely on it producing a cracking lather. The smell isn't great though (as others have said) but it fades after a while!

I am wondering why folks use an expensive cream like Trumpers

I generally use T+H creams and soaps (plus a few others) because they smell much nicer, and that's about it.

Yes there is a huge price difference, but given the price of foams in cans, a tub of T+H cream at what, 15 quid or so, is actually not a bad investement.

Were it all about the money, then maybe I'd use Arko, plus a Boots DE, and a boar brush etc, but of course it's not all about the money. Some of us like a nice luxury product as part of the whole experience.

Helveticum said:
Excellent lather - super fast too, but smells like a toilet cleaner and doesn't have nice skincare properties :)

Oh good,

Thanks for posting what I was thinking. I've always said you're one of the smarter members here.

Martin

I love Arko. I've yet to have a bad shave with it and often find I reach for it over my Bluebeards cream or Prof's Harlequin soap.

The lather is second to none in my humble opinion. The smell I find gorgeous and it's quite likely that if, you've ever had a Turkish Shave, then that's what they've used.

Bargain price for an amazingly good soap.

Tainted said:
The smell I find gorgeous

Hi there,

In all seriousness, I wanted to thank you for making me chuckle. Just goes to show how each schnozz responds differently.

Being a Chosen One (Yid), my large nose is probably more sensitive than yours. Yeah, more scent cells packed in the huge thing has gotta be more efficient.....kinda like how a bloodhound works.

Dodgy

Back
Top Bottom