Are your children being finger printed at school??

Status
Not open for further replies.
joe mcclaine said:
so why would they spend any money piss-arsing about to find out what some internet geeks do for fun.

And yet they do! I think this is the Dept of GCHQ, Vinny. MI5 and 6 no doubt join in. And in the hunt for the bogey-man, how easy is it to get caught in the net? Innocent-Man I mean.

I'm an anti-Monarchy, pro-disestablishment republican. The less I show up on their radar, the happier I am - but Big Brother is watching me! And you! And you! And you!

What frightens me the most is that with dinner money finger-printing, the kids are become accepting of, accustomed to, unquestioning in later life when Big Brother breathes down their necks, wanting all manner of personal data the State has no real need of.

Absolutely with you on this one Big Bro Bechet. It's all about acceptance in my book. Get people accustomed to and acceptent of complete state coverage and registration and you're really motoring. Easiest way is to start when they're young.
In my over 30 yrs service in various Police services including attachment to various military units I saw and experienced the introduction of many types of technology from the 1st personal radio systems in the 1960s on through the lamentable Cyfax system in the City of Glasgow / Strathclyde era and into personal data storage.
Including access I had prior to retiral I believe I have goodly reasons to mistrust not so much the officers who deal with this type of data as the politicos who dictate and administer the systems.

However I must stop now before the few TSR members who still accept my (possibly tenous) grasp on reality decide I've gone too far.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Bechet45 said:
joe mcclaine said:
so why would they spend any money piss-arsing about to find out what some internet geeks do for fun.

And yet they do! I think this is the Dept of GCHQ, Vinny. MI5 and 6 no doubt join in. And in the hunt for the bogey-man, how easy is it to get caught in the net? Innocent-Man I mean.

I'm an anti-Monarchy, pro-disestablishment republican. The less I show up on their radar, the happier I am - but Big Brother is watching me! And you! And you! And you!

That is quite incorrect.

The Intelligence Services Act 1994 is what you're looking for.

Nobody is just willy-nilly monitoring - despite what you read in the papers.

joe mcclaine said:

I stand corrected. Let's have ID cards and the whole shebang! I didn't realise they only monitor known suspects and terrorists. Whew!

So if I string the words bomb, Queen, Obama and plane into a sentence and say it on-line or down the phone, I'm not in danger of triggering an alarm? Whew! And so they won't cross-reference that with me being a republican? What a relief!

Erm! but how then do unknown terrorists get themselves a file and onto the radar screen?

Bechet45 said:
joe mcclaine said:

I stand corrected. Let's have ID cards and the whole shebang! I didn't realise they only monitor known suspects and terrorists. Whew!

So if I string the words bomb, Queen, Obama and plane into a sentence and say it on-line or down the phone, I'm not in danger of triggering an alarm? Whew! And so they won't cross-reference that with me being a republican? What a relief!

Erm! but how then do unknown terrorists get themselves a file and onto the radar screen?

By completing the relevant paperwork out, can be obtained from any post office.

Bechet45 said:
joe mcclaine said:

I never said they ONLY monitor known suspects and terrorists. I said they don't monitor people willy-nilly.

You saying those specific words down the phone wouldn't trigger any kind of alarm.

If you said those words down the phone to a member of a proscribed organisation ... well, that might be a different matter.

joe mcclaine said:
If you said those words down the phone to a member of a proscribed organisation ... well, that might be a different matter.

Well that's my point! I am Innocent-Man republican and I may just say those words, in fun, innocence, down the phone to a proscribed organisation, not knowing or realising that a legitimate organisation is proscribed - or just to my mate who happens to work in the office of a legitimate but proscribed organisation - and who will come knocking on my door, demanding to be admitted?

The less they know about me the better I like it - as much because I like my privacy as because I semi-believe Big Brother stories.

I'm guessing here ...

The context of the conversation (in your specific example) ought to be quite clear to the listener so you could go back to being Innocent-Man republican ... with known links to proscribed organisations.

Ah, and there's your stumbling block.

Bechet45 said:
joe mcclaine said:

Well that's my point! I am Innocent-Man republican and I may just say those words, in fun, innocence, down the phone to a proscribed organisation, not knowing or realising that a legitimate organisation is proscribed - or just to my mate who happens to work in the office of a legitimate but proscribed organisation - and who will come knocking on my door, demanding to be admitted?

The less they know about me the better I like it - as much because I like my privacy as because I semi-believe Big Brother stories.

Carl if you don't mind me saying - you're tying yourself in knots. If you really believe that the security services should not monitor suspect conversations then I suggest you try your renown counselling skills on the families of people killed by terrorists. Tell them your thoughts about complete freedom of speech and actions and ask for teir opinion.

If you use the words you mentioned in mischief or innocence and you do get a knock on the door what do you have to worry about - other than maybe getting a bollocking for wasting peoples time?

You miss the point, Rob! The point is that the Government undertake these activities and there's nowt I can do about that - but I don't want to get caught up in their antics. The less they know about me, the less likely I am to be swept up.

I just bet I'd be horrified if I knew how much they know about me already! and all of us.

I don't want a policeman hammering on my door at dawn and I don't want a policeman giving me a hard time at a road check - but I want a Police Service and for them to maintain a barrier between me and my lovely life and criminals.

Complexity and contradiction are what makes us interesting, Rob. They only make knots for those who cannot comprehend them or cannot hold two opposed thoughts in their head simultaneously.

Bechet45 said:
You miss the point, Rob! The point is that the Government undertake these activities and there's nowt I can do about that - but I don't want to get caught up in their antics. The less they know about me, the less likely I am to be swept up.

I just bet I'd be horrified if I knew how much they know about me already! and all of us.

I don't want a policeman hammering on my door at dawn and I don't want a policeman giving me a hard time at a road check - but I want a Police Service and for them to maintain a barrier between me and my lovely life and criminals.

Complexity and contradiction are what makes us interesting, Rob. They only make knots for those who cannot comprehend them or cannot hold two opposed thoughts in their head simultaneously.

Very well put Carl

You are seriously misunderstanding the Intelligence and Security Services role but it's all there in black and white in the act and available to all.

They have finite resources so they have to be smart about the information they collect and retain.

Honestly, they aren't in the slightest bit interested in you ... no matter what you think.

Bechet45 said:

Carl, I don't think I'm missing the point. Let me just try and explain it differently - don't string the words 'Terrorist - bomb - Obama - IRA - Al Quaeda - Queen - etc.', down a phone line to a suspect organisation and there is no problem - no one will come knocking on your door or stop you at a road check. However, if you do know someone who belongs to a suspect organisation and you happen to say those words - in earnest or jest - then be prepared for the knock on the door.

Is that plain enough Carl or should I try and put it into the same cartoon characters that enabled you to fit your window blind?

Sleep easy pet, there is no bogy man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom