Anyone using a Hone 15 DE razor?

Hi Andrew,

I had the same issue with my Merkur Futur, I'm pretty sure it's my technique with razors that have a bigger cap edge thickness.
3rd shave last night and final review I'll do until I find something different to say. Proraso sensitive and BIC blade after a game of 5 a side and a hot shower . I got a weeper under my chin and some jawline irritation - I'm blaming the soap as it doesn't have the cushion or glide of the other soaps I've used previously. No missed spots though. I paid attention to under my nose more and managed to get a clean BBS all over. The Hone didn't like the Proraso lather for some reason, I think it was too thick as rinsing off took longer than the usual swirl in hot water or run under the tap.
The Hone - I like it. It's a lot trickier than I first thought to dial in, but when you do (and get your technique right) a BBS is very achievable. The finish I like also - my wife called it Captain Kirks razor- the matt brass is unique and distinctive - very modern and timeless in one. Build quality is superb.
Dislikes - not many to be fair. I don't like that the brass ages and shows patina, maybe it's my OCD wanting everything to look prestine and new - especially 'high end' razors. This is easily sorted with some brasso and a soft cloth but I'd rather not have to do that.
For me it could be slightly more efficient - not much, maybe a 0.5 more (in Merkur progress speak) I'd love to try it against the other mild-efficient king - the Feather AS D2 - and see which comes out on top.

My Hone Story

I was talking to my brother about razors. Suddenly he said, I'll buy you a razor! Which one do you want. I responded with; I want a Hone type 15 and a case. So May 3th he ordered one for me. I was excited like a little kid.

May 4th I got an email from Andrew with my tracking code. May 5th was a national holiday in the Netherlands. So The first update from DHL was on May 6th. The razors was transported to DHL Zwolle. Saturday May 7 I saw an update that the razor was transported to my hometown.

I was excited on Saturday, because the razor was on it's way to me. But no razor came on Saturday.

I check DHL on Monday and the last status was “On transport to my hometown”. So I called DHL and ask why they didn't deliver my razor on Saturday. I got different stories from the representatives. They said to me to contact the seller/sender of the package. I contacted Andrew via email and explained my story/issue.

Andrew contacted DHL for me and ask for an investigation. A few day later Andrew contacted me and he told me DHL had lost my package. Andrew also came with a solution. He send me a new Hone razor. This one was posted with our national postal company. A day later it arrived.

I have called DHL nearly everyday and ask question about my package. They said to me I have to wait until the investigation was done. After about 2 weeks the original package came. I took out the case and posted the razor back to Andrew.

I want to thank Andrew for all the things he have done for me. It's rarely you come by a person and/or company how really gives good service and after sales service.

@Hone Thanks for the great service. Dank je wel voor de goede service.

Last edited:
My Hone Story

I was talking to my brother about razors. Suddenly he said, I'll buy you a razor! Which one do you want. I responded with; I want a Hone type 15 and a case. So May 3th he ordered one for me. I was excited like a little kid.

May 4th I got an email from Andrew with my tracking code. May 5th was a national holiday in the Netherlands. So The first update from DHL was on May 6th. The razors was transported to DHL Zwolle. Saturday May 7 I saw an update that the razor was transported to my hometown.

I was excited on Saturday, because the razor was on it's way to me. But no razor came on Saturday.

I check DHL on Monday and the last status was “On transport to my hometown”. So I called DHL and ask why they didn't deliver my razor on Saturday. I got different stories from the representatives. They said to me to contact the seller/sender of the package. I contacted Andrew via email and explained my story/issue.

Andrew contacted DHL for me and ask for an investigation. A few day later Andrew contacted me and he told me DHL had lost my package. Andrew also came with a solution. He send me a new Hone razor. This one was posted with our national postal company. A day later it arrived.

I have called DHL nearly everyday and ask question about my package. They said to me I have to wait until the investigation was done. After about 2 weeks the original package came. I took out the case and posted the razor back to Andrew.

I want to thank Andrew for all the things he have done for me. It's rarely you come by a person and/or company how really gives good service and after sales service.

I...hate...DHL.

My Hone Story

@Loedse Thank you for being so understanding, and I'm glad I was able to help you and provide a service that matched your expectations. As a customer I know that sort of situation can be very frustrating so thank you for your patience while it was resolved. I hope you are happy with the razor and it gives you many years of great shaves :) Andrew

I...hate...DHL.

I sympathise hugely! International shipments for a small company are a surprising challenge, and I thought that a switch to DHL was a good move as they are an internationally recognised logistics company and their costs we slightly more reasonable; which I wanted to pass on to my customers. In general the service of arranging the shipments has been smooth and well integrated but... The delivery times have been sub-par; in many cases 200%+ over the quoted delivery time. In addition the tracking information has been very poor, with links that don't work and tracking information showing the parcel as static even after it has arrived! This is bread and butter for a shipping company I would have thought.

In Loedse's case I was partially to blame as I misinterpreted the address at first also, but this was compounded as at the same time I had other parcels that couldn't be located and rightly frustrated customers asking where their parcels are. I am working on this and might make yet another switch on the shipping supplier front to improve this.

Darkbulb sorry if I missed this, do you have a Hone razor yet? What is your opinion please?

Andrew @Hone is just awesome.... Just had to mention that :)
If you have not got one yet I can highly recommend it ( brass ) 15.
It is a mild but effective razor with the right blade imo, it is quite heavy though but this does not bother me in the slightest. The heat retention from the brass is fantastic and again imo it looks great. I would be most upset if I lost mine and would buy another. :)

If you have not got one yet I can highly recommend it ( brass ) 15.
It is a mild but effective razor with the right blade imo, it is quite heavy though but this does not bother me in the slightest. The heat retention from the brass is fantastic and again imo it looks great. I would be most upset if I lost mine and would buy another. :)

Blademonkey thanks for the reply, I really do like this razor a lot and based on what you said will buy one in the next week or so. The brass version is what I am after as well so thanks for sharing your experience.

And the pass around thread but there might be a new Hone razor in the horizon so iys going yo be interesting :)
Yes it is going to be a 15 made from titanium , so lighter in your hand but very heavy on your wallet!!! :) I will add that it's only going to be more expensive because it's made from an expensive metal that is also expensive to machine but I'm sure it will be a fine razor indeed. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom