After Shave Balm Vs Moisturiser, Which Do You Prefer?

Thanks for that, Griffo. When I looked at it in the past I decided that I should go for the middle one... the 3, I think.

Good bit of enabling.... I'm actually more inclined to try it with the thought it's more a crud-remover than a shave-helper. Shaving's enough of a mystical art as it is... with all the treatments, soaps and potions.

Greetings

Perhaps I am a bit of a peasant when it comes to some of the finer post shaving products but I use whichever run of the mill balm is on offer at the time, be it Wilkinson sword Nivea, Dove etc. I have never found a problem with any of them, they all seem to moisten my skin and absorb pretty rapidly leaving no greasy feeling.

I use balm simply because the moisturisers are much less often reduced!

Regards Dick
(easily pleased in Norfolk)

shrink said:
Balms arent moisturisers, and moisturisers arent balms. They fill very different needs.

Don't you think this is a generalisation? There are plenty of products that fulfil both purposes in one package. At the end of the day, moisturising is merely re-hydrating the skin after the shave has removed moisture.

I'm not criticising your regime of using different products - I just don't fully agree with the statement.

I have several products in all three categories, and I find myself using nothing but Blighty aftershaves.

I don't spend much time out of doors at this time of year, so my need for serious skin artillery is probably less than many of you.

mattyb240 said:
Canuck said:
Moisturiser only, never really been a fan of balm. I've tried all sorts and never really been 100% happy with any product, until I bought Clinique moisturiser last week, that stuff makes my face feel fantastic.

When the weather isn't so harsh I don't need anything and instead I'll just use an aftershave splash.

How are you finding the Clinique?

Fabulous. Seems to be sorting out my dry / oily combination skin after about a week, the sales girl said give it 2 weeks as it takes skin time to adjust but I like it a lot so far, leaves my skin feeling clean and soft with none of the minor flaking I was getting later in the day with Vaseline moisturiser.
It's dear but if it sorts out my face it's worth it.

I think any moisturiser is a good thing, and I would opt for a non scented, generic moisturiser like hydrous or emulsifying ointment if your skin is very dry, or something like doublebase. E45 or hydromol (all about £5-6 from a Chemist for 500ml pots, pump packs or similar). The advantage in using these is that it purely moisturises, and that leaves you free reign which fragrance you want to use, not to mention the extremely low cost!

Source: http://www.npc.nhs.uk/merec/therap/skin/resources/merec_bulletin_vol09_no12.pdf

doheuk said:
I think any moisturiser is a good thing, and I would opt for a non scented, generic moisturiser like hydrous or emulsifying ointment if your skin is very dry, or something like doublebase. E45 or hydromol (all about £5-6 from a Chemist for 500ml pots, pump packs or similar). The advantage in using these is that it purely moisturises, and that leaves you free reign which fragrance you want to use, not to mention the extremely low cost!

Source: http://www.npc.nhs.uk/merec/therap/skin/resources/merec_bulletin_vol09_no12.pdf

Thanks for the link. Very interesting and informative article.

WiffWaff said:
Thanks for that, Griffo. When I looked at it in the past I decided that I should go for the middle one... the 3, I think.

Good bit of enabling.... I'm actually more inclined to try it with the thought it's more a crud-remover than a shave-helper. Shaving's enough of a mystical art as it is... with all the treatments, soaps and potions.

Bought the face soap on Saturday. the missus was buying something and if we spent £30 we'd have enough extra points to have a £5 off next time so I ended up betting the face soap. Very good and not that different to the face wash.

That's the reason I've got so much Clinique stuff... keep getting deals and extra points at Boots. Every time Mrs SJ is on a deal, she gets some Clinique to take advantage. It's spending money to save money, but I'm not complaining. If you just use the soap for your face (rather than in the shower) it'll last forever.

Back
Top Bottom