After Shave Balm Vs Moisturiser, Which Do You Prefer?

I very rarely use aftershave lotion unless i am going some where special. I always use a moisturiser after I shave.
Over the years I have used loads of different aftershave balms, from the usual of the shelf high street products to high end stuff. I have found that many aftershave balms are not that good, especially in the moisturiser department, and have found that quite a few (even the ones for sensitive skin) can sting, even though I prefer milder razors I don't consider my skin to be overly sensitive.
I have found that I much prefer to use a moisturiser after I shave, no stinging and good skin hydration. So far I have narrowed my favourite selection down to the following products (regarding price, performance and availability);

Champneys Sports Therapy, Intensive Moisture Balm (from Boots).
Nivea Intensive Moisturising Cream For Men.
The Real Shaving Co. Advanced SPF15 Moisturiser.

I was just wandering what your preferences are between aftershave balms or moisturisers, what you favourite products are and suggestions for other products to try (I'm getting a bit bored with the same old stuff and fancy a change)

If it's cold, I'll use both a balm or lotion and moisturiser. I agree that not all balms aren't particularly moisturising for those with dry skin - and lotions just aren't. Often I'll plump for with hazel and moisturiser.

I'm currently using the Proraso blue balm - which seems to do the job. I prefer it to their white 'liquid cream'. But aftershave is probably the only AD I haven't caught so there are plenty of balms I haven't tried. As far as lotions go, I do like Proraso and Lucky Tiger. In terms of moisturiser at the same price point as those you mention, my pick by far is Simple. If you look at more expensive options, others here swear by Clinique but I'd check out Dermalogica. As ever in this whacky world of grooming/beauty, YMMV.

One of the forum members - Professor Blighty makes a very good balm that is also very creamy. It suits me as I have dry skin and the moisturiser does not feel too greasy.

Ideally a good balm should provide both a soothing action as well as hydration. I think you should expect a certain amount of sting with any balm - I quite enjoy this.

Blighty's balm for me does the job of both aftershave with a little sealing, soothing burn then leaves the face moisturised and smooth. Alternatively, I use a traditional aftershave with Astral cream afterwards.

I stop using lotion early winter and solely use a balm, my current preference is Arran Aromatics Bay Citrus Post Shave Balm it is packed full of Vitamin E, aloe vera and oils of lemon peel and peppermint and it leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth after shaving. It's reasonably priced, readily available and a very good moisturiser. :icon_razz:

bubbathemoose said:
I very rarely use aftershave lotion unless i am going some where special. I always use a moisturiser after I shave.
Over the years I have used loads of different aftershave balms, from the usual of the shelf high street products to high end stuff. I have found that many aftershave balms are not that good, especially in the moisturiser department, and have found that quite a few (even the ones for sensitive skin) can sting, even though I prefer milder razors I don't consider my skin to be overly sensitive.
I have found that I much prefer to use a moisturiser after I shave, no stinging and good skin hydration. So far I have narrowed my favourite selection down to the following products (regarding price, performance and availability);

Champneys Sports Therapy, Intensive Moisture Balm (from Boots).
Nivea Intensive Moisturising Cream For Men.
The Real Shaving Co. Advanced SPF15 Moisturiser.

I was just wandering what your preferences are between aftershave balms or moisturisers, what you favourite products are and suggestions for other products to try (I'm getting a bit bored with the same old stuff and fancy a change)

I've just started using RSC Moisturiser and I have to say that I'm impressed, not only with the product but also the price that I have been able to purchase it for!

I Shave in the evenings and always use a balm afterwards,in the morning after a wash and tooth brushing i apply some Nivea moisturiser.
I have several Floris Balms which leave my skin nice and soft as does my Acqua Di Parma balm,i also use Mennen Afta skin conditioner which is a marvellous product,i'm not sure it's available in the UK,i get mine off a friend who lives in the states and i buy some whilst on holiday,and it's dirt cheap to buy over there.

Dave.

Moisturiser only, never really been a fan of balm. I've tried all sorts and never really been 100% happy with any product, until I bought Clinique moisturiser last week, that stuff makes my face feel fantastic.

When the weather isn't so harsh I don't need anything and instead I'll just use an aftershave splash.

Canuck said:
Moisturiser only, never really been a fan of balm. I've tried all sorts and never really been 100% happy with any product, until I bought Clinique moisturiser last week, that stuff makes my face feel fantastic.

When the weather isn't so harsh I don't need anything and instead I'll just use an aftershave splash.

How are you finding the Clinique?

Marillionaire said:
I stop using lotion early winter and solely use a balm, my current preference is Arran Aromatics Bay Citrus Post Shave Balm it is packed full of Vitamin E, aloe vera and oils of lemon peel and peppermint and it leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth after shaving. It's reasonably priced, readily available and a very good moisturiser. :icon_razz:

+1 on the Arran Aromatics. I picked some up at TK Maxx for £3.99 and it leaves my skin feeling really nice

i find balms and moisturisers fill different roles. Many balms contain ingredients that are good at helping repair skin, soothe razor burn, and generally calm everything down. The moisturising aspect of a balm is fairly secondary to me. My T&H sandalwood balm does a fantastic job of calming everything down, but it soaks in very very fast and leaves the skin just as dry as it was within a few minutes.

Thats fine, though, because then i apply a moisturiser after it.

Balms arent moisturisers, and moisturisers arent balms. They fill very different needs.

Clinique post-shave healer/soother for me. Can't quite decide between the healer and the soother and tend to alternate. Now my technique is improving I think I may be migrating from the healer to the soother. Expensive and comes in a tiny bottle... but it lasts for ages.

Also use Clinique moisturiser... but not as an after shave treatment... put it all over my face to get rid of dry bits and for the SPF factor

WiffWaff said:
Clinique post-shave healer/soother for me. Can't quite decide between the healer and the soother and tend to alternate. Now my technique is improving I think I may be migrating from the healer to the soother. Expensive and comes in a tiny bottle... but it lasts for ages.

Also use Clinique moisturiser... but not as an after shave treatment... put it all over my face to get rid of dry bits and for the SPF factor

I'm a big fan of Clinique - expensive but excellent.

I currently use the face wash, scruffing lotion (4.5), moisturiser and the healing balm.

I do like a splash though and also use the Clinique Happy for Men which my missus loves the smell of and I have to say it does make your face feel nice and smooth afterwards.

their face wash and moisturisers are the best I've used even though i do try cheaper ones as they are expensive.

As for stuff other than Clinique, I do quite like the cheap superdrug AS and my favourite splash along with the Clinique is the Proraso, which makes me feel so refreshed.

I enjoy the Clinique stuff, it's just my wallet that doesn't like it.

I use the Clinique soap for my face... that lasts months, but I have wondered about the face wash. Also wondered about the scruffing lotion... may have another look next time I'm in Boots. Does the scruffing lotion actually help shaving. I already use a hot flannel and proraso pre shave.

WiffWaff said:
I use the Clinique soap for my face... that lasts months, but I have wondered about the face wash. Also wondered about the scruffing lotion... may have another look next time I'm in Boots. Does the scruffing lotion actually help shaving. I already use a hot flannel and proraso pre shave.

It states on the label that it does help shaving but I'm not convinced about that to be honest.

I use the 4.5 which I think is the highest as I do suffer from greasy skin and your face feels lovely afterwards. It really is quite good stuff BUT I put it on late at night before going to bed and first thing in the morning so not really involved in my shave which is early in the evening.

It does smell a bit chemically but it does a really good job and if used with cotton wool does show a worrying amount of dirt afterwards which I'm guessing sort of shows that it's doing something.

when I bought it I did so in conjunction with the Happy AS and they gave me a free travel kit which included the face wash and moisturiser. I've nearly used them up now and must say I'm contemplating buying the full sized versions - or maybe even try the soap.

the face wash doesn't dry my skin up at all and does leave it feeling very nice and soft albeit without any nice scent. Again, it sort of smells a bit chemically but very faint.

Back
Top Bottom