Acquisitions?

I've used PCs since 1993.

At my last job we got a load of iMacs, a Mac server and about 40 IPads.

Having had to administer IMacs and a Mac server I had an epiphany and.................

...........I'm still a PC man through and through!

I liked the build quality of the Macs but I'm just not a fan of the OS. I guess I'm just too comfortable with Windows.

I can see all the benefits of Macs (stability and resale value being big ones) and I'm glad I've used it reasonably extensively but I can't see me switching. I've got an Alienware 17 laptop and love it.

Glad you like yours though, Sharon! My best friend is a graphic designer and has used Macs for about 20 years. He loves them too.

Well, stability and resale value are all good. I'll need a bit more time to work out which I prefer. Obviously at this stage the habits of nearly 20yrs with windows will take some relearning.
Was quite impressed today when I received a text on the computer. Very Big Brother, but very convenient.

Tall_Paul said:
I've used PCs since 1993.

At my last job we got a load of iMacs, a Mac server and about 40 IPads.

Having had to administer IMacs and a Mac server I had an epiphany and.................

...........I'm still a PC man through and through!

I liked the build quality of the Macs but I'm just not a fan of the OS. I guess I'm just too comfortable with Windows.

I can see all the benefits of Macs (stability and resale value being big ones) and I'm glad I've used it reasonably extensively but I can't see me switching. I've got an Alienware 17 laptop and love it.

Glad you like yours though, Sharon! My best friend is a graphic designer and has used Macs for about 20 years. He loves them too.

286 onwards here as well, got a maxed out retina MBP last year for work, great bit of kit for sure and a good investment life span wise.
Cannot give it as much use as i'd like as there is only so much I want/can to do in a VM.
Can't help but think that if Apple had not been so anal 25 years ago we'd probably never had gotten to windows 10.

summary, like both, but work with windows more due to customers/habit.

I initially bought the Air last summer but had to upgrade to the rMBP because of the screen, it's sublime. I do, however, regret buying the 128GB model - should've opted for the 256GB.

gb = gigabyte
air = macbook air
rmbp = retina macbook pro

My 2pence worth, having studied/worked with computers since 1989, DOS was the worst thing to happen to computers, it created the way for Windows 3, then 95, then the huge rush to NT. MS should have spent time replacing DOS with a protected mode earlier rather than turning windows 3 into a shell with glitz (Windows 95).

During that time Linux came to the world, a little later than Windows NT, but it's getting there and free. Yes, it's not got as nice an interface as Macs, but its free, and the skinflint that I am gets a nice warm feeling from it. Did a mega upgrade of computer stuff here recently, everything entry level and way above what I need to run many VMs in at once (that's a computer within a computer, think Inception/Matrix/world-within-a-world). Actually, VM's predate Mac/Windows entirely, back in the mainframe days they were called System Partitions... but that's not what I'm posting about.

Long story short, or short story long, if you get on with it, don't change it. Computers are a tool for getting a job done, too many people carry super computers around in their pockets called Smart Phones, weren't they for making phone calls on, rather than browsing facebook to make sure nobody mentioned them in a post, and if so, reply *immediately*. We've gone from watches that needed winding every night, to Casio's that had battery life spans measured in decades, to personal (dumb) phones that have battery charge cycles of weeks, back to something that barely lasts a day. Really world, you're doing it wrong.

Think I went off peist somewhere above, but you get the point if it ain't broke, don't fix it... when it is broke though, its nice to know that the inerds of the Mac stack are always going to be the same reliable components. There's no guess work involved. The stack I like the most (Linux on Intel) is hard to diagnose if you can't see the computer, you have to use programs to tell you what the hardware is, where disks are physically and it can be quite hard to get it right when you're talking to someone over the phone. At least with Mac (and even HP) hardware it's quite easy to tell people where things are and what it's made of when it goes wrong.

Back
Top Bottom