Acquisitions Mon 9 March - Sun 15 March

Just a puck of LEA soap in the wooden bowl for me ordered from those nice folk over at Shaving Station and delivered with the speed and efficiency I have come to know from them.

Jim

Straights, today:

IMG_9453.JPG

IMG_9452.JPG

IMG_9454.JPG

IMG_9458.JPG

IMG_9445.JPG

IMG_9446.JPG

IMG_9455.JPG

IMG_9459.JPG

IMG_9450.JPG

IMG_9451.JPG

IMG_9456.JPG

IMG_9457.JPG

I'm developing a "thing" for these American spike points ...

Honed 1000, 4000 & 8000 Ceramic; 10K & 12K Slate; 0.25µ Diamond; Linen, Suede & Leather Strop

British Ever Ready Flat Top (I think that's what it is, aka G Bar made by Gem) in gold.

Gold plating looks spotless. In the photos the gold doesn't look very strong but it's much better seen in person. Shaved with it today and it's a sweet shaver. Not very aggressive but gave a pretty smooth result. It feels really safe to use and a decent weight. I enjoyed the foot of the handle, it gives a place to rest your pinky on the down-strokes and a hook for your thumb on the up-strokes. It makes the hold feel secure.

Acquire_150315-1_zpsiwaj0cwj.jpg

The box is covered in a kind a fabric - pretty snazzy.
Acquire_150315-2_zpsm38ebmyc.jpg

Two blade holders - don't know why you need two, maybe one for new and one for used blades. On arrival their finish looked sad on a bit sticky-old-paint kind of thing. So I gave them a good scrub and the gold paint came off a bit to reveal a white colour which I thought was the base plastic material. As the paint didn't come off properly I tried meths and that cut through the white undercoat paint to reveal shiny below!? I got the silver polish out and that took off everything to reveal super-shiny gold colour, as you can see in the photo.
I thought this might be copper casing but a test with the multimeter showed it wasn't conductive so it must be paint. Anyhow they look super-shiny now and provide me with a suitable container to hold a blade between uses.

Acquire_150315-3_zpscpu9dtnq.jpg

Darkbulb said:
2) A Gibbs Plus/Minus razor, also with original case
(The + and - signs indicate what side of the head is more or less aggressive)
This razor takes proprietary blades but luckily, for me, the modification needed is super easy (just trim the edges of any modern DE blade).
It was half price compared to the Rocket - got this one for 16 dollars.

30wml8i.jpg

o7lrx1.jpg

Will be great fun trying them out once I find a slot for them on my s/sheet this year :D

Darkbulb. I'd be interested to see how you get on with the blade mod on the gibbs. Got one a while back and havent found a reliably succesful method yet !

Andy said:
Darkbulb. I'd be interested to see how you get on with the blade mod on the gibbs. Got one a while back and havent found a reliably succesful method yet !

I'll let ya know. The 'easiest' one I've seen described so far is to simply trim the edges completely on both sides. There seems to be 2-3 mod-methods described...I'm sure I'll try 'em all :D

Buying sabbatical not going too well. This week's arrivals include a gold plated Colibri Ambassadeur (like a Gillette GII/Trac II) with a 17cm(!!) handle, another 4.5oz Old Spice puck (sealed) and an unused Yardley puck in wooden bowl, which smells sublime. Might put some piccies up when it's light - not at work tomorrow :icon_mrgreen:

pjgh said:
Haha! Let us know how you get on with that Colibri - it looks more like something you'd dip into a fondue than try to shave with, like a Trac-II head at the end of a chopstick! :D

Less than a tenner posted, cased, with instructions. I think the previous owner used it twice. I've 100+ blades I can use with it and reckon the GII might just have been the first razor I used. Always said I liked a long handle :icon_cheesygrin:

After near on 5 months of beard growth I decided the time had come to whip out the Slim and give my cheeks some air.
I ordered some Polsilver SI blades and, after trawling of the forum for recommendations, some TOBS Mr Taylor's shave cream.
Both arrived, beard is removed but I'm not too impressed with Mr Taylor's, non-descript fairly generic whiff and moderate performance :-( Pitty, I've got a whole tub of it to get through..

Re: RE: Acquisitions Mon 9 March - Sun 15 March

Rascally said:
After near on 5 months of beard growth I decided the time had come to whip out the Slim and give my cheeks some air.
I ordered some Polsilver SI blades and, after trawling of the forum for recommendations, some TOBS Mr Taylor's shave cream.
Both arrived, beard is removed but I'm not too impressed with Mr Taylor's, non-descript fairly generic whiff and moderate performance :-( Pitty, I've got a whole tub of it to get through..
Get yourself a generation 4 synthetic brush, it does wonders with the TOBS , these brushes are less than £15 on ebay.

Shemen Zait said:
Rascally said:
Get yourself a generation 4 synthetic brush, it does wonders with the TOBS , these brushes are less than £15 on ebay.

Thanks for the tip, but I rather like my Vulfix bodger, and I don't think the missus would be too happy with another brush cluttering the bathroom. I'm getting better results now, using more cream than I might expect to have to, but this has the bonus of using it up faster so i can try something else ;-)

Back
Top Bottom