Acquisitions - January 2024

Refill tablet of TOBS Traditional ... which I've popped into a lovely vintage bakelite bowl, which I think suits it well.

ABLVV86lbcUwVt5wap7IgmUeD2QAac9Y90e6V4vbxNYnh-t2o2tNYs33t1yyZkBbIbJwPy3W-AaOqXWiaGb1mUzA7og2bSOCSLHIeK3gdDRjFibjVYZaql-HvO1N8ArXdHNTczELoDa8EJVemqwNqaUZCheL6Q=w800

TOBS in the blue, while Cyril R Salter now resides in the green.

Its birthday time again and i got unexpected tubs of TOBS Jermyn Street and Sandalwood creams. The Sandalwood was in a gift set with a TOBS badger brush.

Also got a Harry's travel set with various potions + a razor and single cart - so will try that out to see how it compares to my regular Fusion 5 Flexball cart razor

1000001950.jpg
Received yesterday from fellow member @gile of Highlander Brushes, this beautiful brush, a 28mm SHD silvertip fan, the handle is faux Ebony and Briar and the loft is 49mm.
This is shown after it's wash and first lathering for this mornings shave, it feels great in the hand and super soft on my skin.
Needless to say, I am very happy with my brush .
Massive thanks M.

Paul.

Last edited:
View attachment 116390
Received yesterday from fellow member @gile this beautiful brush, a 28mm SHD silvertip fan, the handle is faux Ebony and Briar and the loft is 49mm.
This is shown after it's wash and first lathering for this mornings shave, it feels great in the hand and super soft on my skin.
Massive thanks M.

Paul.
Thank you Paul it was a pleasure making it.

View attachment 116390
Received yesterday from fellow member @gile this beautiful brush, a 28mm SHD silvertip fan, the handle is faux Ebony and Briar and the loft is 49mm.
Massive thanks M.

Paul.
That's a stunner...

Bah! It's a dud. But, I think we knew that ... I just forgot and got giddy.

See: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/bluffers-guide-to-british-triple-milled.59374 for a growing guide on British triple-milled.

Foamy and unstable lather ... but with a wet razor, there is some good residual slip rather than the judderiness that you get from Trumpers. For body and possibly head shaving it might well be okay to wet the skin rub the soap on directly and shave. For our face shaving ritual it's very disappointing. Pass it to the Mrs for leg shaving? Fine if you like her smelling like a moody vampire.
It’s not very good.Glad I didn’t pay full price for it

It’s not very good.Glad I didn’t pay full price for it

Meh! You bought three, though didn't you? Haha! I only have one to use up - it's actually a good formulation for washing up after doing grubby jobs around the garden/garage.

Given the groundswell of reformulations going on at the moment across the British Cartel, I'm hopeful that C&S will follow suit and we'll be able to enjoy their lovely scents again in a shaving soap that works as a shaving soap. It'd be lovely if they adopted whatever DRH reveal as their new formulation. Thing is, C&S are already on a formulation that does not contain Pentasodium Pentetate (which is the offending ingredient and outlawed across the EU* at the beginning of December, hence the flurry) and so they may well not reformulate any time soon. Real shame as the older Valobra base was very nice.

* yes, I know we're not in the EU but it's complex. I think the seeds of this directive go back to 2015 or even earlier with December 2023 being the final date, so it may well be in retained law ... or it may just be that the British Cartel don't want to have to go through extraneous processes to sell their soaps in the EU, just joining the herd being the simplest option.

Meh! You bought three, though didn't you? Haha! I only have one to use up - it's actually a good formulation for washing up after doing grubby jobs around the garden/garage.

Given the groundswell of reformulations going on at the moment across the British Cartel, I'm hopeful that C&S will follow suit and we'll be able to enjoy their lovely scents again in a shaving soap that works as a shaving soap. It'd be lovely if they adopted whatever DRH reveal as their new formulation. Thing is, C&S are already on a formulation that does not contain Pentasodium Pentetate (which is the offending ingredient and outlawed across the EU* at the beginning of December, hence the flurry) and so they may well not reformulate any time soon. Real shame as the older Valobra base was very nice.

* yes, I know we're not in the EU but it's complex. I think the seeds of this directive go back to 2015 or even earlier with December 2023 being the final date, so it may well be in retained law ... or it may just be that the British Cartel don't want to have to go through extraneous processes to sell their soaps in the EU, just joining the herd being the simplest option.
I only bought 1 shaving soap the others are hand soaps

Back
Top Bottom