6 Nations 2013

Re: RE: 6 Nations 2013

Bechet45 said:
I've long since given up on why we have the RFU and then WRFU ansd SRFU.

Because originally there was only one Rugby Football Union. Then the Scottish Football Union (which eventually became the Scottish Rugby Union) was set up to represent the interests of the game in Scotland... Similar thing happened in Wales... Then the rest of the world got with the programme too...

As a Welshman I've always thought that England quite frankly are far more deserving of a true anthem as lets be honest God save the Queen is without doubt the worst national anthem ever, lets hear this this one far more fitting in my opinion.

Jamie.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/bW1XV-2OPkI[/video]

hunnymonster said:
Bechet45 said:
I've long since given up on why we have the RFU and then WRFU ansd SRFU.

Because originally there was only one Rugby Football Union. Then the Scottish Football Union (which eventually became the Scottish Rugby Union) was set up to represent the interests of the game in Scotland... Similar thing happened in Wales... Then the rest of the world got with the programme too...

All very true - of Rugby Union and many other institutions - but surely by now we could drop the (to me) arrogant attitude and stick an 'E' in front of 'RFU'?

The Ireland rugby team is comprised of players from two countries: Ireland (British people often refer to it, incorrectly, as Southern Ireland) and Northern Ireland. The reason for this is simply that the Irish Rugby Football Union predates Irelands independence and the creation of Northern Ireland.

Some Northern Irish players understandably, and for obvious reasons, felt uncomfortable singing along to the anthem of Ireland. So the IRFU decided to commission a song with could represent both countries on our Island.

We now play the national anthem of Ireland plus a specially commissioned song (called Ireland's Call) when playing in the Republic. When playing in Northern Ireland or abroad, we play the rugby anthem only. This, I think, is generally seen as an acceptable compromise to the majority on both sides.

As for GSTQ, I have no idea why England uses it and Scotland & Wales don't. Is it the English anthem or the UK anthem? I really don't see it as anything to get too worked up about though.

What I do know is that being in Murrayfield/Millennium Stadium for Flower of Scotland/Bread of Heaven is an amazing experience though.

pugh-the-special-one said:
As a Welshman I've always thought that England quite frankly are far more deserving of a true anthem as lets be honest God save the Queen is without doubt the worst national anthem ever, lets hear this this one far more fitting in my opinion.

Jamie.

You beat me to it, Jamie. You have the one I was thinking of. England fans also sing 'Land of hope and glory' and I do not recommend that one.

Seems George V wanted to drop 'God save the King' infavour of 'Jerusalem' as National Anthem. I so wish he had got his way!

Maybe for once, football has is right, with the Euopean anthem. I, for one get heartily sick with the neck straining, nationalistic cry baby antics that serve as a predule to international matches. At least the cringing tear induced anthems that Olympic winners have to go through are reserved for winners of their events.

I can't think of anything worse than the sight today of Princess Anne belting out 'Flower of Scotland'. Nothing against the lass, but why does she feel it necessary?

But I can't think of three last rugby match that lead to riot police bring called. I can however remember every time 2 certain teams played in the football and basically having to avoid asda as to avoid getting beaten up, and all the fights caused during internationals.

Personally, I love hearing God Save the Queen and it always fills me with emotion. Land of Hope & Glory is another wonderful tune which was was penned by the late, great, Sir Edward Elgar (just the music, not the words). Parry's Jerusalem is also a towering composition but my favourite of all is I Vow to Thee My Country sung to the tune of a section of Holst's Jupiter from his Planets Suite. One of those songs that really drags the emotion out of you.

Who are we to say whether someone shouldn't belt out their national anthem at the tops of their voices. Doth it offend one's good taste gene? To me, it ain't broke so don't 'fix it'. A European anthem? Aye, I can see that being right popular! This way lads, we're all going to learn the words to the spiffy new European anthem so we can all sing it at the next international sporting love-in. Sorry Rob, absolutely no offence meant, sir. :blush:

Crikey, surely there are many more talking points concerning the two games of rugby that have just been played than the respective national anthems?

Well done Italy beating France, I'm already thinking my prediction is taking shape nicely, only two teams England and Ireland can win the grand slam, I could include Italy but can they win the next four games, well I doubt it, and next week England travel to Ireland so after next week we could realistically be looking with three games each left only one team being able to win the grand slam, I'm more convinced now and still don't think anyone will win this years grand slam.

Jamie

Fortunately, I recorded the Italy - France game. What a turn up!

After the first few minutes of the Scarlets - Tigers match I decided to watch a movie instead. Hving seen the final score, I have no desire to watch the game! Well done, Jamie's lads.

Well done Italy beating France, I'm already thinking my prediction is taking shape nicely, only two teams England and Ireland can win the grand slam, I could include Italy but can they win the next four games, well I doubt it, and next week England travel to Ireland so after next week we could realistically be looking with three games each left only one team being able to win the grand slam, I'm more convinced now and still don't think anyone will win this years grand slam.

Jamie

Mystic Jamie, how on earth after the Irish defeat do you think your prediction of Wales winning the six nations is conducive to your prediction taking shape?

antdad said:

Jamie

Mystic Jamie, how on earth after the Irish defeat do you think your prediction of Wales winning the six nations is conducive to your prediction taking shape?

Read my post Tony, four more games to go could still easily happen.

My prediction, if Wales beat Ireland there will be no grand slam outright winner, joint top Wales and France then England followed by Ireland Scotland and Italy, here's my table.

Wales
France
England
Ireland
Scotland
Italy

Well what a weekend of rugby!

Genuinely surprised that Ireland beat Wales. Our most important player Ross, is injured, but Deccie will still roll him out versus England next week. I expect England to beat us in Landsdowne Rd. I expect them to go on to win the championship (possibly the Slam) because of their already superior points difference.

Italy had a brilliant result against France which has changed the face of this years championship. I can see them beating Scotland next week & losing the next 3 games.

Scotland are an embarrassment. I say that with sadness as Mrs deco is Scottish and they are my second team. England steamrolled them in 2nd gear. Scotalnd will turn up and beat someone, hopefully not Ireland.

So, my prediction after the weekends results:

England
Wales/Ireland
Ireland/Wales
France (they'll lose interest now)
Italy
Scotland

Back
Top Bottom