6 Nations 2013

Well the late, great journalist Alan Watkins always said that an investment in France every championship would give the greatest return over time and I suspect he was correct. However France can blow burning hot or freezing cold on any particular day. Generally they have the best players, man for man and the greatest strength in depth. When they squeezed past Wales in the World Cup semi I had a feeling they would push AB's every inch of the way, in a way that Wales wouldn't have been able to.

I fear for England on Saturday - the expectations for this team now are soaring, and Scotland have nothing to lose. They are due to give England a bloody nose at some point and this is a prime time. That said I think England will scrape past in a horrible, scrappy match and go on to win the Championship. Ireland I think are on a transitional decline, but if BoD is fit enough and well rested he could drag them to some great performances and could bloody some noses. Wales are struggling because too many of their front line players are unavailable through injury and they lack strength in depth. Italy I think may get a result some time this season.

My prediction:

1. England
2. France
3. Ireland
4. Wales
5. Italy
6. Scotland

Whatever happens it will be great to see some top quality sport on the BBC not tainted by hyperbole (well not too much anyway), and over paid clowns making fools of themselves by falling over nothing.

Bring it on....

I think France start as favorites as they mostly do.

Wales team has been announced - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21266972

I'm liking the backline. Front row definitely good enough to cause the Irish (especially Mike Ross) a few problems. I'd like to have seen Warburton/Tipuric at 6/7 as he has been tidy for the Ospreys this season. I'm thinking a Welsh win which if it happens they will be my favorites to win the championship.

England tend to wobble slightly in their first game of any tournament, but against Scotland at Twickenham we shouldn't have too many problems. We have some real talent coming through in the likes of Mike Brown and Billy Twelvetrees (Tuilagi's absence is a real chance for him). England have a strong bench as well.

France at Twickenham? Depends which version of the French team turn up.

Ireland could be a bit tricky, though.

It's a tough call between England and France this year. I can't see a Grand Slam happening this year but England might get lucky, you never know.

Good to get some sport on the TV. I refuse to pay for Sky Sports so I don't get to see much decent sport these days.

Lose the beard said:
It's a tough call between England and France this year. I can't see a Grand Slam happening this year but England might get lucky, you never know.

Good to get some sport on the TV. I refuse to pay for Sky Sports so I don't get to see much decent sport these days.

Same here on Sky Sports. There was a piece on the radio yesterday saying that Sky will be introducing a pay as you go option for Sky Sports, not too much detail but it might mean those of us who choose not to pay the £40 odd a month may be able to pick and choose some things we do want to watch...

And another £10-ish for ESPN because they spread rugby across all sports channels. ESPN typically shows two Premiership games each weekend compared to Sky's one.

And now Sky 134 for S4C Welsh TV to watch Tigers beating Scarrletts 13.00 Sunday.

What are Scarletts like on International weekends, Jamie? All our big boys are away playing for England, of course.

Bechet45 said:
And now Sky 134 for S4C Welsh TV to watch Tigers beating Scarrletts 13.00 Sunday.

What are Scarletts like on International weekends, Jamie? All our big boys are away playing for England, of course.

The Scarlets don't have much strength in depth Carl, once they have 6 or seven call ups to the Welsh squad they pretty much rest the the first team then play most of their youngsters.

Jamie

Wales V Ireland was a cracking match. I really thought Wales would win it. Great first half from Ireland, superb comeback for Wales. Ireland just did enough to win it.

Jayzus, I love rugby!

England v Scotland next.

I think I'm correct in saying that Wales have lost 5 consecutive home games after today's result against Ireland. That's never happened before! Good second half comeback but all damage done in first half. England looking good.

A great afternoon's entertainment with lots of drama and the right winners and losers!

Can you explain to me why it always happens that two British teams have their own anthems and the other British team - England - gets "God save the Queen"? I don't suppose the numpty wearing a Union Flag jacket and cheering England would understand the question.

I've long since given up on why we have the RFU and then WRFU ansd SRFU.

Well, does England have a national anthem? I mean, if we played the same anthem twice it would get a bit strange. Ireland has its own as it is 2 country's playing together.

monkeytennis said:
Well, does England have a national anthem? I mean, if we played the same anthem twice it would get a bit strange. Ireland has its own as it is 2 country's playing together.

You're being serious, aren't you?

Ireland has its own anthem because it is a sovereign state -Eire.

As for an English anthem - how about the one we (England supporters) sing at England games? I suppose we could always ask the WI for ideas.

Well Ireland is a team combined from Northen and southern Ireland and my understanding is that they are classed as separate country's, Wales and Scotland originally were different country's so have their own anthems,. And out of interest which song is it that England fans sing?

I belive rugby is the only sport that is a combined north and south Ireland team (feel free to correct me) and therefore have a special anthem. I remember when they sang both the Ireland ( southern) and then combined one (Ireland together standing tall).

Back
Top Bottom