4G handsets

Calls and texts still work so my number works fine. So does the WiFi its just if I'm out and about I can't use the internet.

I did have a problem with an old phone however the touch screen broke so I got into the insurance company who informed me I was eligible for an upgrade. So I chose a new handset and thought that was that. 3 days passed and I didn't get anything so I called them back to find out what was going on. They said Orange had denied me the upgrade cos I was on a SIM only plan and I had to choose another handset. Chose one, but again nothing came. Third phone call to them and I was told I couldn't have it again by Orange. So I spoke to them direct and threatened to leave. They backed and offered me a HTC and I could stay on my existing plan. Had no phone for 11 days in total!

So after a couple of days with no avail I finally got my mobile internet working on my phone after contacting EE again, who took some details and asked me to remove my SIM card and put it back in. Within minutes my phone picked up 4G and all was well. Its very fast and canes 3G in terms of speed like its meant to.

So I think everything is good now with the handset, its a very good phone and its nice for apps and stuff to not be laggy.

Can't be doing with the costs of 4G right now so stayed with T-mobile for unlimited 3G data, which on my shiny new Lumia 1020 is plenty fast enough thanks, much quicker than on my S3. The freedom to not worry about data limits outweighs any speed differential, especially as it cost less than £28 a month.

The buy handset and go with giffgaff option was appealing, but I simply didn't have the capital.

4g is quality I have the htc m8 and functions like 'Ok google' work flawlessly and put siri to shame. Love the fact that calls also now don't get cut off. I have 5gb of data free which is more than enough seeming I use wifi when at home.

I'm only paying £2 extra a month on this plan than my existing one on 3G for 4G, and despite having to pay upfront for the phone which is pretty new on the market it didn't come up to too much.

4G is great yes, I even watched a bit of the USA vs Germany game on the BBC Media app via the BBC sport website, very clear video and no buffering issues.

Re: RE: 4G handsets

Nishy said:
4g is quality I have the htc m8 and functions like 'Ok google' work flawlessly and put siri to shame. Love the fact that calls also now don't get cut off. I have 5gb of data free which is more than enough seeming I use wifi when at home.
You do realise that "4G voice" actually falls back to 3G don't you (there is no ratified standard for VoLTE (voice over LTE aka 4G)...

Incidentally I'm still paying a midges whizzer over £5/mo and have AYCE data on 2G/3G/4G (expect there aren't too many 4G cells around here)

hunnymonster said:
Nishy said:
You do realise that "4G voice" actually falls back to 3G don't you (there is no ratified standard for VoLTE (voice over LTE aka 4G)...
I actually had no idea that was the case.
Guess it's pros would be speed, quicker tethering and stopping dropped calls. In this respect I suspect 4g would be quicker but as you mentioned its 3g parameters I'm guessing it's the same speed regardless.

£5/month that's a good deal, miss the times when your contact was so good that phone companies wanted to buy it off you (orange-everyday 50)

Nishy said:
In this respect I suspect 4g would be quicker but as you mentioned its 3g parameters I'm guessing it's the same speed regardless.

It's quicker for data but when a call is in progress - it's on the 3G (or even 2G) network so the data rate falls accordingly - otherwise what would be the point of the sparkly new 4G network (if the 3G one is just as fast :)).

Myself - I've never felt constrained by the data bandwidth available via 3G - but then I'm not on "NO2" (who have crappy 2G coverage here, no 3G at all - and even in the next town where they have O2's 3G, when I tested it - it was eyewateringly poor - postcard would be a quicker communication method)

hunnymonster said:
Nishy said:
In this respect I suspect 4g would be quicker but as you mentioned its 3g parameters I'm guessing it's the same speed regardless.

It's quicker for data but when a call is in progress - it's on the 3G (or even 2G) network so the data rate falls accordingly - otherwise what would be the point of the sparkly new 4G network (if the 3G one is just as fast :)).

Myself - I've never felt constrained by the data bandwidth available via 3G - but then I'm not on "NO2" (who have crappy 2G coverage here, no 3G at all - and even in the next town where they have O2's 3G, when I tested it - it was eyewateringly poor - postcard would be a quicker communication method)
So how can they boast the fact that you will never be disconnected from a call when on 4G if it actually just reverts to the 3G connection when a call is made?

hunnymonster said:
Nishy said:

Incidentally I'm still paying a midges whizzer over £5/mo and have AYCE data on 2G/3G/4G (expect there aren't too many 4G cells around here)
What carrier provides a 4G connection for a fiver a month?

Back
Top Bottom