4/8 straight & feather artist

A

Aaron1983

Anyone ever used 4/8 straight?

Also, i have seen boker 4/8 straights mostly in extra hollow. What are you opinions on extra hollows?

And....feather artists club shavette's. Anyone get good shaves from these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using a feather SS for the last couple of months as my daily shaver, brilliant bits of kit,nice close and efficient shaves. you can get them from eBay direct from Japan aswell for about 60 quid delivered with blades.
seller:takey-jp2014 If you are interested, i couldn't fault the service.
They remove growth brilliantly and I genuinely love mine, would recommend them to anyone to be honest.
I've just bought a straight and are awaiting a strop so I'm afraid I can't help you with that side of your question, I'm sure the more experienced members will be along shortly.
Regards

Last edited:
The Feather Artist is Quite a Nice Shaver as Far as Shavette Type Razors Go..Not Comparable to a Traditional SR in My Books..Two Different Animals..4/8ths Straights are Plentiful on EBay & Usually Cheap..A 4/8th Can be a Tad Wicked to Use & they Take a Killer Edge in My Experience..o_O

A 4/8th Can Take a Wee Bit of Skill to Use Compared to a 5/8th or 6/8th..A Lot of Makers Used the Term Extra Full Hollow Quite Loosely...I have Came Across Very Few True Extra Hollow Grinds..Most are Actually Full Hollow Grinds..Full Hollow Grind SRs are Lovely Shavers..1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 Hollows Tend to become More Rigid & Provide Less Feedback..They are all Nice Shavers with a Different Feel & All have their Own Attributes..:D

Billy

Last edited:
The Feather Artist is Quite a Nice Shaver as Far as Shavette Type Razors Go..Not Comparable to a Traditional SR in My Books..Two Different Animals..4/8ths Straights are Plentiful on EBay & Usually Cheap..A 4/8th Can be a Tad Wicked to Use & they Take a Killer Edge in My Experience..o_O

A 4/8th Can Take a Wee Bit of Skill to Use Compared to a 5/8th or 6/8th..A Lot of Makers Used the Term Extra Full Hollow Quite Loosely...I have Came Across Very Few True Extra Hollow Grinds..Most are Actually Full Hollow Grinds..Full Hollow Grind SRs are Lovely Shavers..1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 Hollows Tend to become More Rigid & Provide Less Feedback..They are all Nice Shavers with a Different Feel & All have their Own Attributes..:D

Billy

Hey Billy

The 4/8's i find on ebay are all used and abused...really look worn down. I would like to purchase brand new if anything.
I am keen to purchase something soon [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Ive been contemplating a feather DX for a while but think i would prefer the more traditional straight. Maybe a boker king cutter which only come in 5/8.
Have you ever used a extra hollow grind, and would you say it would be ok for a "newbie" such as myself. As you know, the dovo you honed up for me was my first straight.

I've been using a feather SS for the last couple of months as my daily shaver, brilliant bits of kit,nice close and efficient shaves. you can get them from eBay direct from Japan aswell for about 60 quid delivered with blades.
seller:takey-jp2014 If you are interested, i couldn't fault the service.
They remove growth brilliantly and I genuinely love mine, would recommend them to anyone to be honest.
I've just bought a straight and are awaiting a strop so I'm afraid I can't help you with that side of your question, I'm sure the more experienced members will be along shortly.
Regards

Hey mate

How so you find the feather compared to other shavette's with regards to nicks? I have found in the past while using a dovo shavette that it was less forgiving and i would nick myself in problem areas very lightly. From what i can see the feather blades look bigger and not as flimsy as a normal DE half blade.

Hey Billy

The 4/8's i find on ebay are all used and abused...really look worn down. I would like to purchase brand new if anything.
I am keen to purchase something soon [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Ive been contemplating a feather DX for a while but think i would prefer the more traditional straight. Maybe a boker king cutter which only come in 5/8.
Have you ever used a extra hollow grind, and would you say it would be ok for a "newbie" such as myself. As you know, the dovo you honed up for me was my first straight.

I Own 2 Extra Hollow Grinds..They are Wicked Sharp & the Blades Can Flex with Undue Pressure..You are Unlikely to Find an Extra Hollow 4/8th..As I Said..They are Rare..Some Full Hollow Grinds are Almost as Thin as Some Extra Full Hollow Grinds..;)

Full Hollow Grinds are Fine for Anybody..An Extra Full Hollow Grind can Cut You're Face to Ribbons in Jig Time..My Henckels Friodur Full Hollow is the Same..They have Paper Thin like Blade & Wicked to Use Even to the Experienced User..I Personally Wouldn't Recommend them to Beginners..o_O

I Got a Russian 5/8th from this Seller NOS..He Does 4/8th as Well..They are Great SRs..Mine Honed Up Very Well & Took a Killer Sharp Edge..:D
http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&a...ahUKEwjOmZbgkrXQAhXJK8AKHUc2Dq8QvhcIIg&adurl=

Billy

Hey mate

How so you find the feather compared to other shavette's with regards to nicks? I have found in the past while using a dovo shavette that it was less forgiving and i would nick myself in problem areas very lightly. From what i can see the feather blades look bigger and not as flimsy as a normal DE half blade.

I actually started on a half DE Bluebeard shavette, they are two different kettles of fish in my opinion, you still have to be cautious don't get me wrong, especially with a fresh blade, but with a light touch you'll be rewarded with great shaves.
I would say the ss is hell of a lot more forgiving, aslong as no Pressure is used you'll be happy as Larry :)
I went straight in with professional blades which work best for me,
I personally haven't tried the proguard blades or any of the others but there is a wide variety.
Regards

I Own 2 Extra Hollow Grinds..They are Wicked Sharp & the Blades Can Flex with Undue Pressure..You are Unlikely to Find an Extra Hollow 4/8th..As I Said..They are Rare..Some Full Hollow Grinds are Almost as Thin as Some Extra Full Hollow Grinds..;)

Full Hollow Grinds are Fine for Anybody..An Extra Full Hollow Grind can Cut You're Face to Ribbons in Jig Time..My Henckels Friodur Full Hollow is the Same..They have Paper Thin like Blade & Wicked to Use Even to the Experienced User..I Personally Wouldn't Recommend them to Beginners..o_O

I Got a Russian 5/8th from this Seller NOS..He Does 4/8th as Well..They are Great SRs..Mine Honed Up Very Well & Took a Killer Sharp Edge..:D
http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&a...ahUKEwjOmZbgkrXQAhXJK8AKHUc2Dq8QvhcIIg&adurl=

Billy

Here is the one i am looking at buying. Full hollow 4/8

https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/product.cfm/product_ID/5170

Looks Nice..The Vintage Thiers are Great SRs..The Modern Ones are Different Steel..A Lot of Doe in My Books for a Modern 4/8th..But..Hey..Thats Me Talkin..:)

Billy

I think i might give it a go. I think the smaller blade might be easier for me to use and perfect my technique.

Got a couple of vintage 4/8 SRs, bought mainly because I wanted blades to practice honing on and they are the cheapest, not macho enough in this day and age I guess, still all proved to be a joy honing and also nice to shave with, best shave I would say is from a Swedish not so thin blade (quarter hollow?) but the superthin blade (extra hollow?) from Germany has got the sharpest edge.

Last edited:
I'd agree that a straight and the Feather AC are not the same animals in terms of shaving.

One of the best straights I had was a 5/8 extra hollow ground, the blade was super thin and almost felt like stiff paper as opposed to a metal blade. It held a nice edge and maintained well with a good strop.

As for 4/8 SRs there is a model called Wiener Schaber that I might buy next, shoulderless and I believe typically half hollow.

I think that is what i might go for ! Nice one mate....i like it.

Back
Top Bottom