3 weeks in and still a lot to learn

Fido's brush does look good - might invest.

Thanks for all the advice folks I'll try and take in onboard.

A few things though:

@JohnnyO
I do have the marks on the correct side. It was one of the things I learned about it even before I bought it. I am keeping the setting on 1 and 1.5.

@ simmo3801

I see what you mean about too much 'product'. There are a lot out there and while some seem to like it, others find it's not so good. I'm struggling to find witch hazel out here in Bahrain. I did find some witch hazel with tea tree cleanser in boots, but was rather expensive so I left it. I think I'll have to order some in.

As for the weather - I live in the desert its always warm here.

The oil cleansing method sound like something I would like to adopt. Is that daily?

@ Everyone else

Thanks for the advice.

CF

II'm not sure about the OCM (oil cleansing method) I'm sure I read about it on here or possibly on Badger and Blade. I certainly don't use it daily as I neither remember nor have the time when I do! I tend to do it weekly or just when my skins feeling tender.

Another week gone by

Hi again y'all,

Another week (nearly 2) has gone by and I thought I'd share with you some new things I have found.

I have stopped using my alum block after shaving. It left me with a very raw looking neck, and an unpleasant burn around my chin for most of the day. It took me a while to figure it out though. Instead I have been using cold water (keep it in the fridge) and boots witch hazel with tea tree cleanser. The redness has gone and the burning has gone. I get a few red patches here and there but they're definitely not as bad as before and there is no irritation. I think these new last patches are to do with my technique.

I have tried to not go against the grain but I wasn't getting the closeness, and it looked as if I hadn't shaved. I did try going wtg twice (increasing the setting on my Progress from 1 to 1.5 on the second pass) and then went xtg twice (ears to nose then nose to ears) but not increasing the setting. It wasn't a bad shave. I think with more practice I'll get there.

On Friday I didn't shave (Friday and Saturday is our weekend in Bahrain), but was really ready for one on Saturday. I spent my time and did as I mentioned about with an added atg. It was very nice and smooth with no irritation. My wife loved it, and I thought I was the best shave I've had in a long time.

I've had some progress with my lathers also. I think I'm getting there with consistency.

Thanks for reading

CF

Glad to hear you're persisting on that learning curve CF. As I used to get told all the time when I failed sonething yet again, "Pays to be a winner". I know what you mean about keeping water in the fridge. Here in Scotland I keep a bottle in the fridge myself, just so I've always got some nice and warm & don't have to thaw the ice in the sink. :lol:

JohnnyO.

Gently does it

Hi again,

I think I need to rename this thread as ChemicalFencer's Learning Curve.

Over the past few shaves I've learned something new. Pressure. I thought I had already sussed the pressure issue - oh how wrong I was.

I was still getting some irritation on my neck where the hairs to the right. This is where I was getting most cuts. I tried just supporting the razor and let gravity do the rest. I never really understood what everyone talked about until now.

I also tried a new angle and that is also improving my shaves. They are getting very close now. Very close in some areas where I'm now getting ingrown hairs . . grrr.

Still lots to learn.

TTFN

CF

It is hard to get everything right at the same time in the beginning so I can understand a few guys giving up. I am glad you stuck with it, when it finally clicks it is great, you just can't whack that feeling of a accomplishment and it set you up for the day ahead.

As you are no doubt aware there are many variables to a shave, angle, pressure (or lack of), the lather mix and so on. If any one of these is not right it could be rash time or a few weepers but I learn more from my bad shaves than from my good ones if you know what I mean. Eventually the good shaves outnumber the bad ones but everyone on this forum cannot deny they arse it up once in a while. The one thing that really helps is learning to recognise a crap shave while it is happening rather than after it is done, then you can take corrective action be it change blades or get more soap or even start again.

Keep at it you are well on the way by the sound of it.

CF's Shaving Log

Hi all,

I cannot believe how long it has been since I last posted. I have been thinking about the forum for a while and nearly posted last week but work kind of got in the way.

My shaving for the past week has been very successful compared to the previous weeks, and I think its all down to the blades. Bare with me and I'll explain.

Couple of things to understand first - my first day of the week is Sunday. I shave Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed and rarely on Thursday. Fri and Sat I don't shave so Sunday morning I have substantial growth. I shower before shaving and use an exfoliating face wash on both my face and neck, I then use a hot flannel over my bearded area for a short period. Most of the time I would also use a preshave oil, and then witchhazel afterwards - then balm if my skin is bad or an AS if its been a good shave.

Since my last post I have bought some more kit trying to find what's right for me:
  • - Gillette '54 SS - ebay
    - Gillette '64 Slim Adjustable (it just looked so pretty!!) - ebay
    - Weishi - ebay Connaught
    - Merkur 38c (wanted a long handle) Connaught
    - SuperMax blades - available locally[/list:u]

The items from Connaught came with their mint shaving cream - I think its got a great scent, and some after shave products which where great - if only they would post to Bahrain!!

I remember reading that the SS's were nice mild shaves and I was looking for something more mild that the Merkur progress I already have.

Once I had everything I did a silly thing and tried a different razor with a different blade (manufacturer wise). I was changing too many variables.

So on Sunday mornings I'd pick a razor and then a blade. The first shave would be really nice and smooth and I would go for as close to BBS as I could and usually come away feeling great. Face|Neck: (P1) NorthSouth|WTG, (P2) Ears to chin|NorthSouth, (P3) Chin to Ears|SouthNorth, (P4 - Only if I feel I can get away with it) ATG|ATG. Like I said I feel great, my skin is great and no irritations and rarely get nicks.

Sometimes next morning all hell would start, even with only 2 passes. It would always be the area on either side of my adam's apple - about 1.5" in diameter that would be bright red and most of the time nicked. I took Monday morning shaves out after a few weeks of nicks and rashes.

Tuesday's shave was a little better, as was Wednesdays.

I was really struggling to want to continue but I prevailed.

The beginning of last week I popped a SuperMax platinum into the Gillette SS and everything changed. I lathered my face (face lather, lavender soap) and shaved as normal on Sunday. Then on Monday I decided I'd see how far I could go. I usually can tell how far I can go when I reach the probelm areas I mentioned before. When I got to them I found they were comfortable. So I went on to ATG as my 3rd pass. Again, quite comfortable. A little redness but no where near the levels I have had previously. The next day, same thing and it has continued ever since. I'm back to really enjoying shaving.

A few other things to note. Starting last week I did have the extractor fan on in the bathroom, and it has been getting much cooler in the mornings (not sweating in the bathroom just by standing any more) - maybe the humidity has had something to do with the past few weeks of problems. Anyone else had issues with humidity?

But its nice to be back and comfortable.

Also, things of note I have been playing with face lathering and found it to be quite fun. I have usually been using the aformentioned lavender soap (TOBS), but today I tried to face lather a cream - think I need to put less on the brush.

Hope everyone's well.

Thanks for looking.

CF

Hi ;) .

Ive been DE shaving for a little over 2 months now, It took a while to find a blade that suits me which is currently a Personna Red, I have a fair few more blades to try but quite happy with the Personna.
I too have tried an adjustable razor, first it was a Futur which I traded for a Progress, the Futur was ok but the head was just too big and hard work shaving by the nostrels, the Progress is great but my favorite has to be my OC 1904 (Merkur 41) Its a great little razor which gives a better shave than nearly all my others!
Even now I dont shave ATG on my neck, my hair growth on my neck seems to sprout out at all angles, I simply shave down my neck half way stopping before my adams apple on the first pass and the second/third pass is always shaving up toward my chin with a few touch ups on my jaw. This never gives me a real smooth shave in this area but it reduces the irritation and burn and I should think it will reduce the risk of the dreaded ingrowing hair! I occasionally go for ATG on the neck to see if my skin is ready and it is getting more tolerant of late, but I feel my skin is still getting used to DE shaving and I dont think I will be changing my method for another couple of months.
I dont seem to get many nicks anymore and my speed is increasing, I enjoy the whole ritual and dont want it over in 10 minutes :) .
I too stopped using the Alum Block, I found it just adds to the irritation. If I do have a nick that needs healing I will rub it on that one spot but apart from that it dosnt get used.
Im currently waiting for some more soaps to try and cant wait! ive gone for:
col. conk Lime
col. conk Bay rum
Mitchells wool fat
Ogallala bay rum sage & cedar.
Im looking forward to giving these a go, I think you need a good variation of products to keep you interested.
I tried shaving every day and found this to be quite harsh on the old face, I find every other day is good which seems to give my skin time to rest before its subject to another shaving.
Prep and pre-shave creams etc is the key for me, I would not even dream of having a quick shave without a hot shower or hot towel, quick shaves are set to fail in my opinion.
Well thats enough from me, im still enjoying DE shaving and this forum for all the advice etc. :cool:

RedNeckRash said:
Hi ;) .
the Progress is great but my favorite has to be my OC 1904 (Merkur 41) Its a great little razor which gives a better shave than nearly all my others!
Yes - isn't it!
Sooner or later you might want to try the 11c (the original James Bond DE) for a little more heft.
Thank you for your progress (no pun intended) reports - and stay in touch!.

Back
Top Bottom