3 weeks in and still a lot to learn

Hi y’all,

It’s been nearly 3 weeks since I got my Merkur Progress, blade selections and creams. I have to say I have learned a lot.

The first thing I have learned is this I still have a lot left to learn.

The reason I have gone through this whole change is to stop the rash and redness on my neck that I was getting with my Gillette and “goo”. I still get some redness and its still not shaved to my liking – it might be a fear thing.

As I have said before in a previous post I kind of started with a cheap cheap plastic DE razor just to get some of the basics down. I think I have some of the basics sorted out but I do get my angle wrong sometimes and the pressure can be a little . . . hard.

Last week I tried a feather blade. It was very different from the Merkur blade that came with the razor. I think my pressure was very wrong and perhaps so was the setting on the razor (2). I went WTG, XTG and then ATG re-lathering in between. It left my face rather sore for the whole day even in areas that I don’t normally consider problem areas. Even my nivea anti irritation post shave balm stung like hell. This has taught me that perhaps going for the complete eradication of stubble was not something I should focus on.

One thing I did notice is that the feathers are a bit of a loose fit and was at a slight angle. I think I centred it correctly. Is this something others have noticed?

I then went on to iridium’s and found they were a bit better. This morning I swapped to a Derby and decided not to shave in the shower. After my shower I started with a pre-shave oil (I stole the recipe from Fido - 70/30 mix of olive oil/castor oil). I went WTG, XTG and then ATG (re-lathering in between using Proraso) and got a relatively good shave. A few parts around my jaw line got missed and there is still the issue with my neck. There was less sting when rubbing the alum block over my face (does anyone else think it tastes sweet?) and no sting with my balm. After 5 minutes - a splash of Tabac a/s lotion to give me a little bit of a scent.

Here’s what I already knew:
  • 1. Hot water is a must
    2. Preparing is paramount to a good shave
    3. Shave WTG first, re-lather and then go in another direction (I used to go with and then against)[/list:u]

Here’s what I have learned:
    • 1. I’m not an expert
      2. Light touch needed
      3. Angle is important
      4. Start with low setting on my Progress
      5. Don’t expect to be BBS right from the beginning
      6. Add more water for making a lather – if the lather delaminates when being applied it’s too dry
      7. Go across the grain before thinking about against
      8. My beard grows in strange directions
      • a. Cheek basically grow straight down
        b. Chin grows down and away from the centre a bit
        c. Centre of my neck (from the chin down) basically grows down
        d. Either side of the centre grows from left to right going up slightly
        e. I have a ‘spiral’ at the bottom left near the centre[/list:u]
        9. How to put lists in on this forum
        [/list:u]
        Things I still need to learn
        • 1. How to be consistent
          2. How to shave the ‘spiral’
          3. How much of a light touch
          4. Correct angel
          5. The right setting for my on my Progress
          6. The right pre-shave preparation for me[/list:u]

I’m sure I’ll find more tips on here – y’all seem to be a nice bunch so far . . . .

Against the advice given the first razor I ever purchased was an adjustable and in hindsight there is no doubt it retarded my progress because as I've read you may also feel the need to adjust it every time your shave doesn't quite go to plan. This really isn't helpful because there are so many other variables to consider and master when starting to D.E shave and blade gap/aggression should not be one of them.

If you have the discipline choose one setting and stick to it religiously come what may, personally I found the need to adjust irresistible and in the end I put it away bought a non adjustable, learnt how to use that and came back to my adjustable when I was more confident.

I have been thinking that. I have been considering one after I read others suggested a 34C (I think?). I'll try and pick one up.

My last shave was on setting 1 which was comfortable.

Thanks for the advice.
CF

'Map' your beard. Meaning, look closely at the direction it grows on your cheeks, neck, everywhere!
Use this direction to go WTG. Don't assume anything.

Don't bother with ATG now. Concentrate on WTG and then XTG.

It took me almost a year, but I can now get very close to BBS by only going WTG (x2) and XTG, and that's with no nicks, irritation or blood! And, that's shaving every single day.

I don't want it to take that long for you, so try perfecting your WTG and XTG passes.

Others will hopefully drop you further hints.

You never stop learning. Always little tweaks to routine and technique to slightly improve things. It is what makes it fun and keeps it interesting.

My tuppence is to ditch the ATG pass altogether. It is not necessary.

Moody Mick hints at the main thing I think: don't get hung up maximum smoothness, that'll come in time anyway. Shoot for par, as Tony (or Mantic) says: a sore red face caused by overshaving isn't a good look.

Hi Chemical F, Sorry that old "learning curve" is still causing annoyance. If things get too bad drop me an IM & I'll send you down a couple of spare razors to try if you want. Make sure the indents on the end of the Progress head are aligned on the same end of the head & pick a low setting (maybe 1 - 1.5) then leave it alone. If you're using a soap rather than a cream I'd suggest that you may find it easier to get a rich creamy lather with a cream in the beginning. Just don't get discouraged m8, the very reason there are shaving forums like this one is because we all have our own challenges & difficulties. So, no one here doesn't understand exactly where you are and hasn't been there themselves.

Hang on in there. :shave

JohnnyO.

If things get bad then it might be a good idea to start over again from the very beginning. I found that I had tried to rush ahead too much and was immediately chasing the BBS shave as I thought that was what DE shaving was all about. What was there to learn I'd been shaving for nearly 25 years! Oh how wrong!

I have also found recently that I have been putting more "product" to use a hair dressers word, on my face, the majority of which didn't agree with it and made any minor rash or irritation ten times worse. I now shower, shave and just spray witch hazel on my face, give it a very gentle rub and allow to air dry. Splash on a small amount of aftershave on cheeks only and I'm done. Face has never felt better. No pre shave, no post shave balm. I will shortly begin to reintroduce aftershave balm to try and find one I can use. Don't forget the weather has been hot recently which can affedt your skin too.

I also found using the Oil Cleansing Method when my skin is irritated seems to restore the balance. Rub a small palm full of extra virgin olive oil al over your face area then sit with a hot damp towel over your face for a few minutes. Then use the now cool towel to remove the oil. I find it refreshing and as I said it seems to restore the ph balance or something beneficial. Try it along with just shaving with soa / cream and no balms etc.

Reduce the angle to where any more reduction would stop the blade from touching your face. I see a lot of videos and photos where shavers hold the handle of the razor almost parallel to the surface to be shaved (like if you're doing your sideburn area WTG, the handle points down at probably and angle of 10 degrees with the vertical). When I shave that area, the handle is much closer to horizontal, probably about 20 degrees from horizontal. This reduces shaving to as much of a cutting action as possible and 'ensures' that the blade actually slides over the skin. Increasing the angle will turn shaving into more of a scraping action, and will increase irritation.

Oh, and 'J-hooking' is a good technique for awkward areas, such as necks/throats...

This is an interesting post with a lot of salient points, the majority of which apply to me as I've been DE shaving a similar amount of time to the OP. I've tried to limit my self from buying too much so that I can monitor my skill increase through consistency of products. I bought a Fatboy which I have used a few times, but I'm going to put that away no for a bit and get used to the Superspeed, and I'm going to stick with my WK brush and Proraso soap. I'll probably explore the blade sample pack too soon, but the red Persona's are doing me fine for now, but I'm looking forward to trying others in case they're 'better'!

Even in three weeks the quality of my shave has improved significantly, and more importantly the skin irritation on my neck has all but gone most days. I've even started shaving on my days off....... I can get a perfectly acceptable shave in three passes with just a few area's under my chin where I need to improve my beard mapping.

The trouble with all this is that I really want one of Fido's new brushes...... :roll:

_1793935_mrs-doyle-150-ch4.jpg

G'wan, ye will...

Back
Top Bottom