2nd DE Razor?

Having been using my first DE Razor, a Muhle R89, for a while I was thinking of getting a 2nd one for an upcoming birthday.

Any suggestions of what should be my 2nd DE razor? Budget up to about £40

Ditto all the above but if you were lucky enough to spot a Weber come up on BST within minutes of it appearing and claim it straight away (coz it wouldn't stay there for long) then that would be a fine acquisition and a percentage of other members would be slightly envious.

fly3k said:
Open comb? Gillette Long Comb New.

Would you say one of these is to be considered as rarely seen as the Weber, Steve? Presumably it's case of waiting for one turn up and jump on it when it does?

DevonStan said:
fly3k said:
Open comb? Gillette Long Comb New.

Would you say one of these is to be considered as rarely seen as the Weber, Steve? Presumably it's case of waiting for one turn up and jump on it when it does?

They come up fairly regularly although maybe it's been a while since I've seen one on BST. They usually go for a reasonable price and if you can get a head only go very nice on a heavy handle.

I tried a passaround weber previously and didn't think that much of it really. Like a stainless DE89 / Merkur 34c really. Much prefer my Standard razor at the moment.

Isn't it funny how we each form different opinions of these things? I wonder if the degree of "wave" on the Weber has any bearing on the way they perform? But I'll be the first to admit that some days I'll get the perfect, blood free, close and comfortable shave and another day, with the same razor, it'll all go wrong. The R41 can seem a beast one day and a kitten the next. I wonder if electric razors are like that? :)

fly3k said:
DevonStan said:

I tried a passaround weber previously and didn't think that much of it really. Like a stainless DE89 / Merkur 34c really. Much prefer my Standard razor at the moment.

Stan, there's something about the Weber head design that fits just about everyone well. Never seen anything like that before...all the positive reviews. Get one if you can. Be aware though of some QC problems with certain versions. There's plenty of posts if you search the forum.

Like Steve, the Weber just wasn't the great experience for my face as I was hoping for. We are in the minority for sure.Weird deal.....even tried different blades, which I never would normally do. Never did get to enjoy the shaves all that much.

Martin

dodgy said:
fly3k said:
DevonStan said:

Stan, there's something about the Weber head design that fits just about everyone well. Never seen anything like that before...all the positive reviews. Get one if you can. Be aware though of some QC problems with certain versions. There's plenty of posts if you search the forum.

Like Steve, the Weber just wasn't the great experience for my face as I was hoping for. We are in the minority for sure.Weird deal.....even tried different blades, which I never would normally do. Never did get to enjoy the shaves all that much.

Martin

I've got one. Really like it. Would never part with it.

DevonStan said:
dodgy said:
fly3k said:
DevonStan said:

Martin

I've got one. Really like it. Would never part with it.

Guess it's just you and me Martin. As I say it wasn't unpleasant just not what I thought it would be considering all the hype around them at the time.

Back
Top Bottom