2015: Shaving Hits & Misses

Misses - in the attic ready for another try later, if I can find them.

Hits - an unending supply of new and excellent products to try, old ones to discover, artisan razors
the company, companionship, friendship, wit, humour, knowledge and sharing I find in TSR.

Edit: I missed out trust. I love the trust and trustworthiness we share.
Carl I completely mis-read this to read the 'missus' is in the attic to be tried later!?

Thanks to @SharpSpine who reminded me of a few more and also giving it some more thought...I'd like to add, to my list;

Hits

* Customer Service levels from some companies has been exceptional
ClassicShaving and OneBlade to mention two​
* Connaught. Still one of the best online retailers there is
* TVBShaving - where else can I still find Floid Blue for $28 shipped? :) I now have..uh...six bottles
* Blackland. Thanks to @ShaneS who, in many ways, restored my faith in that Kickstarter can work

Misses
* Inflation in LE items. It's to the point where if everything is a limited edition..then nothing is
* Anything HTGAM/PPF/PAA/Crown King has touched/made
* Rockwell razors. I just can't respect them. I've tried but I just can't.
* High-End razor quality control.
Mongoose: it's really sad to see how it's failing so much later half of the year.
Classic Shaving: The amount of issues people are having with the KCs is just not acceptable
Heck, I'm even having a OneBlade razor replaced​

I'd have to agree with regards to the proliferation of LE products. It's got me to the point where I'm being completely turned off buying any new stuff I find it a bit nauseating. The Mongoose guys were great until they seemed to lose the plot half way through 2015 and abandoned everything that impressed me about them regarding care and attention to detail with both their product and customer service. I don't know if they are starting to feel the pressure of not being the only show in town anymore but for me there was a dramatic change in their QC and subsequent level of customer service following this. I'll hold on to the B2 they ruined aesthetically for me but I won't be handing over a single penny to them in the future at least not directly anyway.

After returning to "proper" shaving at the end of 2014

Hits.

Simpsons Duke 3 in Best.
Romera Manchurian
MWF
MdC
ATT
Gillette Slim Birth Quarter
Polsilver Super Iridium
Penhaligons Opus
Acqua de Parma Colonia

Miss.

Rapira ( Platinum lux & Swedish Supersteel. )
Various American artisan soaps.

Hits
Meissner Tremonia soaps ... simply, the best
Le Pere Lucient soaps .... simply, the best (if Meissner Tremonia didn't exist)
Pashana Aftershave ... why did I wait so long?
Weck Straight Edge (Disposable) ... blades that feel like GEM, great shaves
Attars ... HUGE fun!

Misses
Myrsol aftershaves ... horrid sticky, tacky splashes
Vie-Long sythetic brushes ... uninspiring fibre, tied as badly as their horse hair
Martin de Candre soaps ... not up to LPL or MT and certainly not worth the hype, good otherwise
Numerous American "Artisan" soaps ... poor, just poor
Vintage Straight Edge ... after many tries and re-tries, it's not for me

Here's to a great 2016!

Shaving-wise, I've found my niche razors, found my soaps, found my after shave routine, found my scents, so I think it'll be a year of enjoying what I have and hopefully getting more of it.

I'm curious as to which Myrsol splashes you tried?

I notice that someone else also didn't like them - I love them - my favourite splashes so far by quite some distance!

I'm curious as to which Myrsol splashes you tried?

I notice that someone else also didn't like them - I love them - my favourite splashes so far by quite some distance!

They really are fantastic. I especially like Plastic.
Having said that...my go-to splash eventually became Floid Blue which I absolutely love.
Good thing...since I have six more bottles of it...

Hi! I tried:

Antesol
Metisol
Plastic Shave
Balsamic Water

I really liked the scents, but there was something sticky in the formula which left me with a clammy face. I like a dry face.

Sticky and clammy bring to mind Trumper's Skinfood, which I dislike for exactly that reason. I don't get that at all though with Myrsol - mileage does indeed vary!

Back
Top Bottom