Your favourite shaving bowl?

I am currently using a Muhle shaving bowl in stainless steel that I’d like to replace by something better… So my question is: what is your experience with shaving bowls and what would you recommend?

For example, I read a lot of good things about the wooden bowl of The Goodfellas Smile, but I wonder what it does in everyday use. Whipping up foam won't be a problem, I guess, but is it easy to maintain? Does it dry up quickly after use? What does it look like after a number of shaves?

Another bowl that I sometimes see passing by in SOTD is the Saponificio Varesino Shaving Grail. How do you use it? Apparently the handle is removable and there is also a wooden bottom piece allowing more air in the lather.

So what’s your opinion? What shaving bowl do you like best and why?

And... of course all tips, tricks and advice related to this subject are accepted in thanks.

Have a nice evening, everyone.

I’ve used both the Captains Choice and HC&C bowls and though I think the Captains looks amazing I think I get better results with the HC&C. I think it’s down to how I lather though as I use circular strokes which suits the HC&C bowl better. I have a self printed 3-D bowl which is arguably even better though.

I love my Captain's choice Obsidian Copper bowl and use it for my creams and croaps and for hard soaps etc I just use my face.
TBH my expensive bowl produces the same lather as my 50p dog bowl I brought in my early days only a little faster.
My only advice I can offer is try and get something with bobbles or lines in the bottom of the bowl to help lathering up and not dead smooth other than that there is really nothing in it.

Captains Choice for me
it’s very well made,
sits in the hand nicely & apart from the price there’s nothing not to like.
i have a lot of bowls but most of them don’t get used.
I have a lovely ceramic from Steph Baxter from Glasgow which was my favourite until i got the Captain’s Choice.
Another good one for me is the Plastic Timeless
this is the bowl i travel with along with a collapsible dog bowl at under £5.
i also like using Skuttles from time to time

My approach would be for a ceramic one (as it is going to retain better the heat from hot water, even better a scuttle type if you really want to keep the lather nice and warm), with some sort of ridges (circular, concentric better but really any type).

A nice example would be the work of Elizabeth Occhi (an italian artisan which makes incredible bowls and scuttles all by hand, truly stunning work, you can check her work here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PachamamaBarberShop

Only downside obviously is that if you happen to drop them, sayonara bowl!

Wood one from GFS is a good compromise I guess, while metal ones are the most resistant (you never gonna break one) but they disperse heat very quickly.

My approach would be for a ceramic one (as it is going to retain better the heat from hot water, even better a scuttle type if you really want to keep the lather nice and warm), with some sort of ridges (circular, concentric better but really any type).

A nice example would be the work of Elizabeth Occhi (an italian artisan which makes incredible bowls and scuttles all by hand, truly stunning work, you can check her work here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PachamamaBarberShop

Only downside obviously is that if you happen to drop them, sayonara bowl!

Wood one from GFS is a good compromise I guess, while metal ones are the most resistant (you never gonna break one) but they disperse heat very quickly.
Lovely looking bowls for sure.
But you are correct if you drop it then it’s a goner,
Although my concern is actually cracking my sink which iv done before

Lovely looking bowls for sure.
But you are correct if you drop it then it’s a goner,
Although my concern is actually cracking my sink which iv done before
oh gosh, never really thought of that possibility, like the bowl landed in the sink and made a mess?

There are also new types coming out in bio-plastic (3d printing) which are very sturdy and light at the same time.
An italian FB shaving group has made some and they looks amazing (gives a ceramic effect but light and basically indestructible):

oh gosh, never really thought of that possibility, like the bowl landed in the sink and made a mess?

There are also new types coming out in bio-plastic (3d printing) which are very sturdy and light at the same time.
An italian FB shaving group has made some and they looks amazing (gives a ceramic effect but light and basically indestructible):
Yes i dropped one years ago on my sink and cracked the sink.
100% my fault so no criticism on the product.

3D products been out a while now and there’s some look very good.
I have a Yaqi plastic thing that is ok ish.
i say ok because it’s ok but when you’ve got better you realise that the yaqi isn’t that good at all.
I guess most of it is down to how badly you want something no matter what the price is.
Set yourself a price & stick to it.
The bowls on the video look ok also but there’s far better out there but saying that i don’t know the price point.
for me Pereira have some of the best bowls & shuttles available but you’ll pay best part of £80 for a skuttle

I’ve loved the look of these for a while but they are very expensive, for what is essentially a lather container/builder. It’s the area of my shave den I have changed the least so far as I love my 3-D bowl and the HC&C. It doesn’t affect the quality of my shave enough to warrant a huge variety.
I say that and watch the collection build…

This looks good to me but i doubt i’d pay the money

Look what I found on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/955066452/pereira-shavery-ceramic-shaving-scuttle?ref=share_v4_lx
yes I happen to see this one as well today from the recommendation of scuttles from the link I posted earlier.
It looks really really nice, holding the soap as well!
Personally I use a simple bowl, with few straight ridges in the middle, nice and functional. it was made with clay taken from the hills where I come from, from a local artisan. And it was a christmas gift from my wife a bit of emotional connection is enough to me

Back
Top Bottom