Your favourite photographers or images

Last edited:
I generally love what Magnum does with street photography, but some pictures are just exemplary.
18096560_1668065833497660_7376704947624083456_n.jpg

@Helveticum - To paraphrase - oversexed, over paid and over there. Great picture. I.

Salgado-3-SR.jpg

Salgado2-SR.jpg

Salgado - Brazilian by birth I think - he only picked up a camera in anger at the age of 40 - granted they were Leica cameras - probably the best photo-journalistic tools ever made, I may be biased in this respect. Speaking as a Leica owner. - previously he had been an economist. An amazingly good photographer - in the spirit of Dorothea Lange. Humanism at its finest. I.

Last edited:
View attachment 27217

View attachment 27218

Salgado - Brazilian by birth I think - he only picked up a camera in anger at the age of 40 - granted they were Leica cameras - probably the best photo-journalistic tools ever made, I may be biased in this respect. Speaking as a Leica owner. - previously he had been an economist. An amazingly good photographer - in the spirit of Dorothea Lange. Humanism at its finest. I.

Correct, Brazilian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastião_Salgado
http://lounge.obviousmag.org/cafe_n...ras-das-fotografias-de-sebastiao-salgado.html
sebastiaosalgado1.png

Following on from Don McCullin and Tim Page - James Nachtwey - ex-Magnum, ex-VII agency

Sr-Nachtwey-1.jpg

Here's him at work. I think this was taken in South Africa when apartheid was collapsing violently. Look at this picture - other than the guy with the AK - everyone else in the frame - including the other two photographers in the background are trying to be flatter than a lizard with an eating disorder. Nachtwey is famous for having a severely underdeveloped self-preservation gene.

Sr-Nachtwey2.jpg

By coincidence - Nachtwey turned up at the office of the agency he worked for when the first of the Twin Towers fell. I own a big hand-print of this picture - gifted to me by a close friend that was sent there to photograph the aftermath. The money went to survivor charities. Words almost fail me. I think if nothing else it proves the power of - and need for - still images. They have an ability to encapsulate situations that moving pictures seldom can. Take a couple of moments to look at this picture properly. I.

Last edited:
Following on from Don McCullin and Tim Page - James Nachtwey - ex-Magnum, ex-VII agency

View attachment 27238

Here's him at work. I think this was taken in South Africa when apartheid was collapsing violently. Look at this picture - other than the guy with the AK - everyone else in the frame - including the other two photographers in the background are trying to be flatter than a lizard with an eating disorder. Nachtwey is famous for having a severely underdeveloped self-preservation gene.

View attachment 27239

By coincidence - Nachtwey turned up at the office of the agency he worked for when the first of the Twin Towers fell. I own a big hand-print of this picture - gifted to me by a close friend that was sent there to photograph the aftermath. The money went to survivor charities. Words almost fail me. I think if nothing else it proves the power of - and need for - still images. They have an ability to encapsulate situations that moving pictures seldom can. Take a couple of moments to look at this picture properly. I.
What have I learnt from The 'Shaving' Room? Many things. But first among them is the fact that I haven't spent enough time looking at photographs. I mean really looking at them. The quality, and the emotional power, of the images posted by you guys has been sensational. If only there were more hours in the day....

View attachment 27238

View attachment 27239

Wow!

This is an interesting work by Valério Otaviano Rodrigues Vieira in 1901, Brazilian photographer.
Called "The 30 Valerios". Himself, repeated 30 times.

View attachment 27339

@udrako

Wow - how was that done? Do you know? - cheers - I. Oh - as an aside - I have a colleague that works for BBC Scotland - he's a senior reporter. He left university with a first class degree in Spanish and applied for a job with the broadcaster. He was sent to Rio as a correspondent. To this day he does not know whether they were ignorant that you guys speak Portuguese - among other languages - or they had a keen sense of humour. Yours - I.

Last edited:
@udrako

Wow - how was that done? Do you know? - cheers - I. Oh - as an aside - I have a colleague that works for BBC Scotland - he's a senior reporter. He left university with a first class degree in Spanish and applied for a job with the broadcaster. He was sent to Rio as a correspondent. To this day he does not know whether they were ignorant that you guys speak Portuguese - among other languages - or they had a keen sense of humour. Yours - I.

:)

I believe he took the photos one by one, pasting them, like some sort of CTR + C CTR + V, into the room's picture, and maybe taken a picture of the set later. I suppose. Very good for 1901.
I'll get something else from this period.

Oh, the boss probably did not like his colleague very much LoL :D
Usually, in other countries, it is usually believed that Spanish is spoken in Brazil. I, for example, do not understand almost anything Spanish.
Possibly, the only states where a small part of the population understands or speaks very little of Spanish would be the frontiers with the Hispanic countries. Like, Uruguay, Argentina, Bolivia, etc.

Spanish is almost never taught in schools here. Usually, basic English is taught in schools. Not all. French, Spanish and other languages are usually taught only in language schools. With high values, by the way. :)

By the way, the British influence here is appreciable in some things.
For example, here is the Brazilian Marines.

20130408_122850_BANDA%20MARCIAL%20(69).jpg

Here, the "brazilian piper" band.

EXERCITO.jpg

Back
Top Bottom