Your Favourite Horror Films?

FJY

Hi Everyone,

It's almost Halloween again, so I had a good idea for a new thread. I have always liked a good horror film, and I wondered what your favourite scary films are. I have to admit that my personal tastes are for the old classics, though, and I have always loved the old Universal horror films from the 1930s and 1940s and the old Hammer horror films from the 1950s onwards. I love anything with Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. I also quite enjoy any horror film that stars Vincent Price too. I don't like modern horror very much, so my personal preferences really only go up to the late 1980s.

So....what are YOUR favourite horror films? I've already mentioned some of mine. It's over to you now...

Reactions: PHR
Have you seen the anthology film "The Monster Club" with Vincent Price? It has various artists performing songs in the monster club between the stories, including B. A. Robertson (see here on Youtube).

Edit: BTW, one of my favourite films which isn't horror, but I claim should be seen as such, is Watership Down.

Have you seen the anthology film "The Monster Club" with Vincent Price? It has various artists performing songs in the monster club between the stories, including B. A. Robertson (see here on Youtube).

Edit: BTW, one of my favourite films which isn't horror, but I claim should be seen as such, is Watership Down.
Yes, I remember watching The Monster Club for the very first time in around 1990. That was about 10 years after it was originally released. I remember renting it on video from my local video shop. It was the only time that I ever saw it, and I remember that I enjoyed it very much. I seem to recall a very young UB40 as one of the artists who performed in the film.

I also agree with your comment about Watership Down. I saw that for the first time as a child. God, that film traumatised me far more than any horror film I ever saw then or since. IMO, it should never have been aimed at young children. It gave me nightmares for a long time after!

I'm a fan of hammer horror films, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing all good with me. My favourite horrors are probably the omen, the exorcist and Rosemary's baby.
I've veered away from horror as I've got older but if they're done well I quite enjoy them still, human centipede and human centipede 2 are particularly mental.

I'm a fan of hammer horror films, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing all good with me. My favourite horrors are probably the omen, the exorcist and Rosemary's baby.
I've veered away from horror as I've got older but if they're done well I quite enjoy them still, human centipede and human centipede 2 are particularly mental.
I love The Omen as well. I remember seeing The Exorcist many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've never seen Rosemary's Baby, though I know it starred Mia Farrow.

I don't think that I'd enjoy The Human Centipede films. They're a bit too modern and "hardcore" for my tastes, lol. I don't like anything too gruesome.

The film's of Darren aranofsky are fantastic, don't know whether you would class them as straight horror but they are definitely psychological horrors. Mother! and Pi are excellent although very dark.
I'm not familiar with that director or those two films. I'll have to do a bit of online researching to see if I'd like them.

Thanks, anyway.

Two stand out for me, The Bride of Frankenstein, and Murnau's Nosferatu, one funny and one scary.
I love those two films. I have The Bride Of Frankenstein in a Frankenstein boxset on DVD. I also have Nosferatu in a Special Collector's Edition DVD, with a booklet and loads of extras on the making of the film. Max Shreck certainly made an extremely scary and very convincing vampire in Nosferatu! I've also seen the 1979 remake with Klaus Kinski, but the 1922 original is much better.

• Love
Reactions: PHR
I love The Omen as well. I remember seeing The Exorcist many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've never seen Rosemary's Baby, though I know it starred Mia Farrow.

I don't think that I'd enjoy The Human Centipede films. They're a bit too modern and "hardcore" for my tastes, lol. I don't like anything too gruesome.
If you don't do gruesome, human centipede 2 is one to avoid :D it's the most messed up and grim film I've ever seen. I think they went all out to tick all the disturbing boxes :D

Reactions: FJY
I love horror films, and for a number of years I was as obsessive about them as I am about the realm of wet shaving!

Consequently, I find a little bit difficult to pick out what my favourite horror films or television shows are.

When it comes to gore or gruesome moments in films, when it comes to something Human Centipede, I have absolutely no interest in such a use of it. However, when it is used in the Evil Dead films or the Peter Jackson film Braindead, where the gore is completely over the top in comedy zombie films I am a huge fan of the use of gore.

Back to favourites in the genre...

Films
FW Murnau Nosferatu
John Carpenter's The Thing/The Fog
Peter Jackson - Braindead
Sam Raimi's Evil Dead Trilogy
Hammer Horror Films - Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee (I love them too much to pick a single one)

TV -
Ghost Stories at Christmas (the old ones, but the Mark Gatiss ones are fine).

Even though it's science fiction I'd have to include the original series of 'The Twilight Zone' which were written by Rod Serling.

Reactions: FJY
If you don't do gruesome, human centipede 2 is one to avoid :D it's the most messed up and grim film I've ever seen. I think they went all out to tick all the disturbing boxes :D
Thanks for the advice. I've heard that both of the Human Centipede films are pretty disturbing. I avoid those kinds of films like the plague. They're just not my cup of tea at all.

Back
Top Bottom