you'll come to a Sticky end

So Audiolab lent me his Sticky and I loved and then Sunbury sold me one so for a short time I have two.

The question is: why does one have a metal end piece with the WS name and logo in black while the other had a plastic end piece with the same info etched in white?

But much more importantly, the black end one has a Gillette-style safety bar, with lines cut into it, so: IIIIIIIIIIIII

The metal ended one has a weird variant on that: instead of lines in the metal there are raised ridges embossed, giving almost the same effect but in inverse.

Finally the "black" one's safety bar is a lot longer - i.e. it comes down the vertical further, whereas the more moulded one has a significantly shorter bar.

I'll do a shave-off and let you know how they compare, but at a glance the clear metal-ended one with the shorter bar looks at lot more aggressive.

If nothing else they'll have a different optimum angle of attack.

I read somewhere that the Sticky that was sold in france and UK in the Blue box was different to the USA version in the White box ....
i think .........???

There was a Big article on B&B or the Shave Den or something that had two types with up close pics etc etc, i am trying to find it...

Obviously![/quote]
joe mcclaine said:
The one Sunburry sent you will be a fake.

Obviously!

and there is also a Russian Razor that is a copy of the sticky, there was one on Ebay ages ago, it looks like this :

IMG_1894-1.jpg

Compared to a Real Sticky:
wilkinson.jpg
joe mcclaine said:
The one Sunburry sent you will be a fake.

over5feet said:
WOW that's a nice razor do they shave as well as they look??? They have a nice old but modern look about them, What are the prices like on these?

The price can be up to £100 but the shaves are nothing to write home about.

The hype over this razor is due to the fact it won some kind of design award.

I found one for £10 and sold it for as much.

Priced like a Rocket it seems! Only fair for what is also a rare "Made In England" classic.

As an aside, the so-called Sticky (so called because the plastic polymer handle stays Sticky even when wet) was never sold under such a name. As Tony said it was designed by Kenneth Grange in (I think) 1969 and has quite a Space Age look - not dissimilar to Paco Rabanne or Pierre Cardin (much of whose work now looks horribly dated, imho)

But the two variant I have shave like completely different razors: the angle and blade gap and safety bar are utterly different.

The handles are the same, which is confusing: you think you've got the same razor - and in your hand you have - but on the face they as different as you like.

Are there any other variants out there? Can anyone post links to further info?

Rev-O said:
As an aside, the so-called Sticky (so called because the plastic polymer handle stays Sticky even when wet) was never sold under such a name.

Do you think that "sticky" handle works or feels any differently to any other plastic handle?

Yes - although the only plastic handles I have are brushes.

(One bakelite Tech I think, and that's it for razors.)

I would even say the Sticky has better grip than, say, a 40's SuperSpeed or Fat Handled Tech - basically any razor that isn't deeply knurled and/or doesn't have a nice Rocket gap between the shaft and the knob (quick: call Pig Cat!) can be slippery; the Sticky beats them hands down and lives up to its nickname.

Better grip than a Fat Handled Tech, yes; not better though compared to the grip of a40's SuperSpeed and no way close to the grip of my Merkur HD Gold (in my subjective opinion, of course). Certainly offers nice grip anyway and lives up to its name.

Back
Top Bottom