You don't mess with a Micromatic

Prep: Hot water soak
Razor: My 'new' Micromatic Clog Pruf
Blade: GEM Stainless
Brush: Edwin Jagger large silvertip
Soap: Culmak
Post-shave: Boots Witch Hazel Gel, GFT Fragrance Free Moisturiser

After prising out a rusted blade, the Micromatic cleaned up a treat so on to the shave. Once I got used to the different angle required by the MM, the WTG pass was a breeze.

Unfortunately this lulled me into a false sense of security and I shaved my second (XTG) pass at the sort of angle you would use for other razors. Big mistake. I didn't feel a thing at the time, but my chin and moustache area were covered in nicks. It looked like my face had been blasted by the worlds smallest shotgun.

I don't think I have ever made such a mess. No third pass this time. Fortunately, none of the nicks were too bad and dried up after a cold water splash and witch hazel gel. GFT moisturiser took away the burn.

Anyway, back to the drawing board. I'm going to rest my face for a day and then try the MM again, with a lot more caution.

BTW, the MM is a great looking razor, especially with it's pivot-and-slide head. IMHO they wouldn't look old-fashioned if they were still made today.

At least you secured the blade properly (first time I used one I was hungover and left the blade in place ON TOP of the stops at the corners of each blade. No major damage but about six or seven cuts!

Wish they still made these. I do find the coated GEM blades could be a bit more coated though, as still can be a little rough for me. How about you if you've used it a few more times since posting?

I've used it almost daily as I wanted to get the hang of it.

Once you figure out the correct angle, it's easy to use and gives a comfortable shave. A 3 pass BBS is possible with no irritation, as long as you're careful and respect the razor.

Put a fresh GEM blade in my Micromatic the other night, and ended up with a number of tiny nicks on the ATG pass. I'd forgotten that new blades tend to do that in the Micromatic for the first few uses ATG. Oops!

Back
Top Bottom