Yet another newbie...

Well is been a busy few weeks, but I've managed to break out the DE a few times. Think my technique is slowly improving: having a bit of difficulty with the goatee area (the blade just doesn't feel sharp enough to cut through a few day's stubble). Might to try a different blade (razor seems to get through neck hair ok though, so could just be angle, lol).

On the other hand, the soap/brush combo is really working for me: getting significantly less irritation when using the Mach3 (shaving with the actual grain may have something to do with it as well ;) Quite like the idea of reducing it further though, so will persevere with the single blade.

Derbies can be so so, if they are pulling and just don't seem sharp enough try then they probably aren't.

If you think your beard preparation is sound it maybe time to try a blade sampler pack from Connaught or
just get some...

Iridium Supers,
Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows or
Feathers

you'll find they are sharper than Derbies.

Thanks chaps. Just had a shave with some Personna Platinum (reds), and noticed a definite improvement - although they weren't exactly slicing through the stubble like a MachIII. Might try shaving more regularly and seeing how they work on the shorter hair. Or perhaps just man-up, and try the Feathers that came with my Popular :)

Out of interest, would anyone be kind enough to explain how open comb razors help with stubble?

Pedro out.

Welcome buddy.

I think open comb are more exposed to the beard and therefore helpful with tougher beards. I could be totally wrong, so wait for someone else to answer just in case

Well I'm still alive, thought I may as well update this thread if only for my own benefit. My DE usage has been a bit on/off due to travel over the last few months. Baby smoothness is still eluding me, though I tried feathers the other day - immediately noticed an improvement (then I cut myself, nice!).

Back
Top Bottom