Yaqi Katana Injector Hack

Novel idea but crap demo and no pictures, so here goes ... (Doh! I only have Twinjectors in the house, but you get the picture ... literally ... rather than a quick flash in a video):

ADCreHce9p5gP8J2jbduUwNCYmzBmo58B76tFCj-qGN8jNKqmn8kTzXigYsGR8RELBzdWUfj8gFLKoVUvd03H-YzqJu9cTjK9bkMGnhJtx9t2a1Nx5W8ZlbNjUpT3VYmCQvf8Jg2Rw5zdAirqgFDeRpM7PbRMQ=w1200

ADCreHesMxfvY2H0tzsLSKnyqNIOI5YwVlGMM87DapKcZw6xYf7PvmB0RY8CwT3yGwcbuXfnLy0fCL1sjCinuGSQiODSAmOeIonOOtIW82oxFFv6pvxd4ZMJUAEtpIMGK6HF8anfB2oIJ8huGcyuguU9qdx9qQ=w1200

It's all about the nubs, see?

Twinjector blades are perhaps too much for this format, but I can really see it working well with a regular single height injector blade.

Anyone tried it out?

When I had a Katana head, I wanted to try it out, but had no decent nipper for this.
What have you used to cut the holes?

I do occasionally use injector blades in a DE, though. I think I started a thread about it on ATG a few years ago.
Fine Marvel was pretty good this way for me.

... erm ... but now I have a quick google for injector blades and it appears that the single blades generally DO NOT have those indents in the sides of the blade to sit into this. Hard to know from the video what it was that he did (or didn't) to get it to fit. Maybe the regular injector blades just sit between the tabs. Dunno.

... erm ... but now I have a quick google for injector blades and it appears that the single blades generally DO NOT have those indents in the sides of the blade to sit into this. Hard to know from the video what it was that he did (or didn't) to get it to fit. Maybe the regular injector blades just sit between the tabs. Dunno.
Yep, that's what he did, just dropped it in there. When I tried it when I still had a Katana head, it just didn't seem that secure sitting on those pins, so I don't think I tried it that way.
But as long as the two posts and thread are about the same size and in line, then one can load injector blades into almost any such DE head, provided it doesn't force too much of a curve on a blade.

Novel idea but crap demo and no pictures, so here goes ... (Doh! I only have Twinjectors in the house, but you get the picture ... literally ... rather than a quick flash in a video):

ADCreHce9p5gP8J2jbduUwNCYmzBmo58B76tFCj-qGN8jNKqmn8kTzXigYsGR8RELBzdWUfj8gFLKoVUvd03H-YzqJu9cTjK9bkMGnhJtx9t2a1Nx5W8ZlbNjUpT3VYmCQvf8Jg2Rw5zdAirqgFDeRpM7PbRMQ=w1200

ADCreHesMxfvY2H0tzsLSKnyqNIOI5YwVlGMM87DapKcZw6xYf7PvmB0RY8CwT3yGwcbuXfnLy0fCL1sjCinuGSQiODSAmOeIonOOtIW82oxFFv6pvxd4ZMJUAEtpIMGK6HF8anfB2oIJ8huGcyuguU9qdx9qQ=w1200

It's all about the nubs, see?

Twinjector blades are perhaps too much for this format, but I can really see it working well with a regular single height injector blade.

Anyone tried it out?
How did you find the shave P.?

How did you find the shave P.?

I didn't try it ...

Because I only have Twin injectors, the height of the blade(s) and therefore angle was wrong. If I had a single (non-Twin) injector, yes, I would have tried it. Maybe I'll get some in but not actually having any injector razors (other than a Gillette Twinjector, hence the Twin injector blades), not a lot of point.

... the fellow in the video seems to point to it being mild (which I read as "not aggressive" or "good fitting tolerance"), which is no bad thing.

Thank you for the update. Currently on a non-purchase commitment but in the new year I'll give this combo a try as an alternative to the now mundane DE shaves :)

I finally have some (single) injector blades now and so have played about with popping one into various DEs and SHADEs.

I'm concluding that it can work but it is highly inadvisable! While many razors will clamp the blade in straight, there's straight and there's straight. Even a miniscule deviation from proper straight can translate to hyper-mild on one side and hyper-aggressive on the other and what I'm seeing in common with pretty much every H/DE razor head I'm putting this blade into is that it pivots on the centre post.

So, while the "twin"jector blade is indeed a discover in that it already has the cut-outs to fit into a H/DE head perfectly ... and I mean absolutely perfectly, the shave (no, tentative few scrapes) was awful. Single injector blades do not have these cutouts and so sit (or slip off) the locating posts at either side and are relying on the clamping for any degree of safety and decent performance ... and that could so easily go wrong mid-shave.

Thumbs down.

What I might well look into is how "twin"jector blades can be seperated, because those cutouts do indeed make this viable. Just not with singles.

Back
Top Bottom