Woodhead Studio Pottery Shaving Bowls

Anyone had any experience of these? They look good rustic with interesting glaze patterns and seem practical (made from Stoneware Clay, so will take boiling water), but has anyone got one, and are they any good?

Cheers

Jules

I had two of these - the first lost a fight with the sink and the second is only a month or so old and still going well.

Myself, I love using it to build a lather. I've gone for the largest size each time which leaves plenty of room for swirling the brush around. The bowls themselves are solid and comfortable to hold and the finish is good too.

Not sure what else there is to say really. Choice of colour is obviously personal. But other than that, it's a mug/bowl - and does what you expect - holds a liquid without leaking! :)

Myself, I wouldn't want to be without one - it's obviously not a necessity, but for me it adds a little something extra to the whole shaving experience.

EDIT: As a contrast, when I visit my Mother, I just use a large cappuccino/hot chocolate mug. The Steve Woodhead mug has ridges within it and these do seem to make building the lather easier.

Julese34 said:
Anyone had any experience of these? They look good rustic with interesting glaze patterns and seem practical (made from Stoneware Clay, so will take boiling water), but has anyone got one, and are they any good?

Cheers

Jules

Hello Jules, I have one of of Steve Woodheads scuttle's model T2, Steve was so helpful due too my disability Ra & Joint replacements in both hands.

Holding things very difficult for me not very dextrous, Steve sent me a couple of photographs with different design's of handles he also made the handle big enough to accommodate all four of my fingers inside the handle with a thumb grip.

I also choose a bespoke colour, I love Steve work. I have now asked Steve too make me another one this time T1 " for use with my smaller shaving brushes ".

One final note: these scuttles really do stay hot for approx 20min's.

Hope this helps.

Charles U.K

I've got one of his lather bowls and it's ideal for whipping-up cream if I fancy bowl-lathering rather than working on the face. I hold it by the base as I find it easier than holding the handle. The glaze is superb and the ridges do help to build the lather as Hax said.

chrisbell said:
I've got one of his lather bowls and it's ideal for whipping-up cream if I fancy bowl-lathering rather than working on the face. I hold it by the base as I find it easier than holding the handle. The glaze is superb and the ridges do help to build the lather as Hax said.

Same here, works brilliant with creams. I too never use the handle. My potter mate when he gets around to it is going to make me a bowl, with the ridges, slightly larger and no handle. The base is going to bigger too, but with a grove to grip it by. Can't wait !

As Dipesh said above, I absolutely love mine.

It was expensive but well worth every penny.

I just can't do without warm lather at all these days and will never go back to face lathering. :)

I love my Woodhead scuttle, a very nice piece of kit.
IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

This is interesting, insofar as people don't seem to be using the handle a lot. I saw some similar ones which I had misremembered were Woodhead ones, where the handle is upside down, and so more convenient to slip your thumb into whilst holding the bowl with a palm grip underneath. If Steve doesn't do any like that, I think he might consider it. A little ergonomic research could help to make these obviously beautiful and useful creations even more desirable.

With my SE bowl, I cup the base in my hand and then slip my thumb through the handle - it works perfectly like that and is very comfortable too:

SteveWoodheadBlueBowl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom