Wood handle longevity

Hi Guys!

I am intrigued! I would quite like a brush with a nice wooden handle, but am concerned about how long it could be kept looking nice. I would like to be able to use it quite often, but how resistant to mould and rot would the handle be on the inside where the knot sits? I suppose it depends greatly on the types of wood used! I guess this question is mainly for you Chris...

Regards, spandex..

If made correctly, it is highly unlikely that a brush handle would rot from the inside -- the knot will be set in ample epoxy, and the entire inner wood surface will be coated with/impregnated by epoxy.

Rot is much more probable from the outside, In my opinion, a wood handle should be finished in a good classic varnish (like a marine spar varnish). This will give it a high-gloss finish which may not be the most classy looking, but certainly the most durable. Alternative would be a matte outdoor or floor acrylic resin, classier looks, but slightly less durable. Or a reactive finish, although I haven't been able to source on in consumer-size quantities...

I soak any brush in water with approx 1.5cm of bristle above the water. In my opinion there is no need to soak it right upto the handle. I do rinse them thoroughly though by turning it bristles up under a running tap. Give it a good shake and a couple of swirls on a towel.

In short, if the wood gets wet and stays wet, it is more likely to rot. So the wood needs to be treated so that water isn't allowed to get 'inside' the wood.

For me, wood is a poor material for a brush handle. I'm one of these blokes that runs a sink full of hot water and throws the brush in it for a while while preparing other stuff, and a wooden handle woudn't like that.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom