Witch Hazel

I've been using the sample of Prof Bs Grapewood and Black & White for about a week now. The scent on both are lovely, and I'm torn which to buy.

However, to mix things up a little, are there other Witch Hazel 'brand names' you can buy. I.e: I love Ultra Violet by Paco Rabane, do you know if you can get that made up in Witch Hazel... Sorry if it makes no sense, hopefully someone can see where I am coming from.

I've also noticed that on Amazon you can just buy Witch Hazel by itself, does that have a neutral smell. I think when I'm in the RAF I'm not going to want to smell 'beautiful' every day, so would it be worth buying a bottle of plain Witch Hazel? (I understand its the WH that makes my skin feel nice and tightens it up a bit).

Apologies if I've lost the plot totally... ;)

Amnesia

Amnesia180 said:
I've been using the sample of Prof Bs Grapewood and Black & White for about a week now. The scent on both are lovely, and I'm torn which to buy.

However, to mix things up a little, are there other Witch Hazel 'brand names' you can buy. I.e: I love Ultra Violet by Paco Rabane, do you know if you can get that made up in Witch Hazel... Sorry if it makes no sense, hopefully someone can see where I am coming from.

I've also noticed that on Amazon you can just buy Witch Hazel by itself, does that have a neutral smell. I think when I'm in the RAF I'm not going to want to smell 'beautiful' every day, so would it be worth buying a bottle of plain Witch Hazel? (I understand its the WH that makes my skin feel nice and tightens it up a bit).

Apologies if I've lost the plot totally... ;)

Amnesia

It's an odd smell which I don't find that pleasant. BUT it does soon wear off. I was thinking of trying some Thayers which have an add smell which I was thinking would make it more acceptable. Best place to buy regular Witch Hazel is Boots or Superdrug, it's only something like £2.30 there.

Northam Saint said:
It's an odd smell which I don't find that pleasant. BUT it does soon wear off. I was thinking of trying some Thayers which have an add smell which I was thinking would make it more acceptable. Best place to buy regular Witch Hazel is Boots or Superdrug, it's only something like £2.30 there.

Try Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's ... it should be less than £2 in there or a discount chemist type store (Savers, Bodycare, etc) where you might well find it under a quid. All the same stuff - Witch Hazel BPC.

Thayers is totally different in smell, even from the 'standard' witch hazel before considering the different flavours. www.iherb.com for that in my experience.

If you want a fragrance free AS then try also alum. I occasionally use witch hazel if my alum rub stings more than normal and it definitely helps to prevent irritation. I find the smell of witch hazel neither pleasant nor unpleasant and its gone within 5 minutes anyway.

IMHO its worth having both as neither is particularly expensive, I also use witch hazel on bruises as its supposed to aid their healing.

Ogalalla Bay Rum aftershave splashes are basically witch hazel with added fragrance oils (see TSR discussions on Ogalalla passim), the hard part now is getting hold of the stuff since the one UK stockist went under.

I like Antdad's suggestion, get some lime or lemon essential oils and mix your own for a refreshing morning scent. It'll need a really good shake before use.

Agree with your thought that in basic training in the Forces you probably don't want to become known as "Perfume Boy" or some similar term of endearment. I'm quite sure that Prof B will be able to help out with advice re witch hazel based aftershave splash. My wife likes the Blueberry scent, however it's a bit fruity for wearing in the RAF I'd imagine.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Boots Witch Hazel Gel is good stuff, and comes in handy small tubes. It does contain alcohol, doesn't put me of though. It smells strongly of Witch Hazel, but the scent quickly dissipates.

Taylor's Luxury Aftershave Gel has Wich Hazel in too and is IMHO really nice.

Thanks everyone, I'll check out Savers (one has recently opened up here).

JohnnyO said:
Agree with your thought that in basic training in the Forces you probably don't want to become known as "Perfume Boy" or some similar term of endearment. I'm quite sure that Prof B will be able to help out with advice re witch hazel based aftershave splash. My wife likes the Blueberry scent, however it's a bit fruity for wearing in the RAF I'd imagine.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

That made me chuckle! I'm already onto the Professor and he has very kindle offered to make me something up :)

Hi All,

Just an update, I've got a bottle of Witch Hazel from Savers, it wreaks!

I haven't applied it to my face yet, but I am assuming I use it in the same way I splash on one of Prof Bs WH scents? (I won' t be using it without having had a shave first. I have read somewhere that you can use it at any time of the day. But I'm getting some of Prof Bs Yellow Unction for an evening moisturiser).

My Mrs now officially thinks I am worse than her. She is a trained beautician and knows all the benefits of witch hazel etc and found it rather amusing I was so determined to find some... she walked away when I was getting frenzied about choosing between Lavender and Tea Tree to add to it!

I'm going to use the raw WH as part of my every day routine and use Prof Bs at weekends/going out etc... some people mentioned adding a drop of lavender to the WH etc... can someone go into a bit more detail? I only found lavender and tea tree drops, and didn't like either really. Where else could I look to find some, I tried a number of shops and they all sold the same. Also, when I do find some drops I like... what would the ratio of drops to WH be?

Thanks in advance :)
Amnesia

For what it's worth - I consider WH part of the process of shaving, not the conclusion. If I'm using WH (I rotate with Alum), after the final water rinse I gently wipe with WH on some cotton wool. It will sometimes show that I'm leaking claret that wasn't otherwise apparent. i.e. I use WH as a final rinse - then I do something else - balm/moisturiser/AS which smells. Putting essential oils into pores/nicks would be asking for trouble in my opinion.
The conclusion to a good shave is replacing the lost claret!!
Lloyd

You can get the stuff pre-scented from iHerb.com in the USofA, they carry both Thayers' and Humphreys brands. There's a UK place for Thayers' too, but even with price conversion iHerb worked out cheaper.

• Thayers' has an 'unscented which I think should be called De-Scented, as it goes through some proprietary process that removes the smell almost totally from the stuff if the scent of normal or scented bugs you too much.

I have used iHerb a few times and never had problems as long as I kept the price below about £20.00 equiv...
  • Only had to pay duty once and that was due to Royall Lyme ASB, not witch hazel.

Back
Top Bottom